Ritz Champage on the QE2 1980s

sullaRaffaello

When I was on the QE2 in 1982, I received a complimentary 1/2 bottle of Ritz Champagne from Cunard. It was excellent. I think it mght have been a blanc de noir because it had a bouquet similar to a red wine. I suspected that Ritz was a specialty label for Cunard, but was never sure. When I was on the QM2 in April this was nowhere to be found. Does anybody know anything about this label, i.e. who made it, was it unique to Cunard, when was it discontinued? Thanks.

Suspect it was the 'house' brand.

Trafalgar House, the owners of Cunard at the time, also owned the Ritz in London. I'm fairly sure that I even saw the Ritz marketed as 'A Cunard Hotel' for some time.

As to who actually made it I'm afraid I have no idea. As with a lot of house brands it may have been made by different people at different times.

Regards, Colin.

I'm fairly sure that I even saw the Ritz marketed as 'A Cunard Hotel' for some time.

It was. They listed all their ships etc at the back of the brochures at one time. The Ritz was included in that list.

Just beware Champagne tends to go flat fairly quickly - even if it's not opened:) It shouldn't be kept for more than a couple of years before drinking unless it is specifically bought to be kept. Even then follow the guides for how long to keep it.:)

In 1985 I worked for a short periode at The London Ritz. The hotel was just like Cunard owned by Trafalger House. I can remember we served that kind of Champage a lot in the Restaurant.

We had a lot of American QE2 guests who had booked a "package tour" with QE2, The Ritz and Concorde. A collegue of mine has to go to Southampton serveral times to collect them. Qe2 would arrive in Southampton at 5pm from New York in those days.

Lots of collegues came from the QE2. From what I heard it was a pretty tough enviroment at that time.

I suspected that Ritz was a specialty label for Cunard

It was, tied in with the hotel, as these posts note. The lido space on ship now the Yacht Club was done up for awhile like The Ritz, and a young guy in grey Ritz uniform stood outside to welcome you.

In the hotel lobby there was a board noting where was the QE2 and when she next would be in Southampton. The floor men there seemed very proud of the QE2 tie.

Archived