Free dinner, Sabatini's

lysolqn

When we booked our Crown cruise, the TA told us each of us was getting getting $50 onboard credit and a free dinner at Sabatini's.

The $50 onboard credit appears on the TA's invoice but there's no mention of the dinner. More importantly, neither the credit nor the dinner shows up online in the cruise personalizer.

We've been using this TA for more years than I care to count and she's never steered us wrong before. When I ask about why the dinner isn't listed on the invoice or why neither the credit nor the dinner appear online, she says it's an "internal thing" with Princess and when we get onboard the credit will be on our account and there'll be a card in the cabin re the free dinner at Sabatini's.

Has anyone been down this road before? Any advice? Thanks!

When we've had TA "gifts" and OBC's, we've never had a problem. The OBC won't show up on the Cruise Personalizer - only Princess credits show up there. Other things are either delivered to your cabin the day you embark or you will have a certificate waiting for you. It's always worked out for us.

The time to worry about not getting a "free" dinner at Sabatini's is after you return home. I would, however, prefer not to have knowledge of an impending "gift," so that if it's there, I can be surprised, and if it's not there, I won't be disappointed. Sam

As an FYI, every time your TA gives you a "gift," that is coming out of your booking amount. They could just as easily have given you a better price on your cruise (which I'd prefer.) It's not really "free."

Not necessairly. These are often promos from group bookings, special travel agent promos or AMEX card promos - they do not cost the agent anything.

For example - one could get the same price for a cruise if they were booked into group space or not, the main difference is that the group space may have amenities such as OBC, photos, coupon books, etc.... This is why it is often better to book with agents who have lots of group space.

I agree with the others - these items do not show up in the Personalizer.

Did you happen to use your American Express- Platinum card?? We get that perk each time with Princess- the free dinner and it has to be used the first night on the cruise.

Jan

I'm interested in this too! Sounds like an AMEX travel booking only perk, and they don't usually discount.

I'm interested in this too! Sounds like an AMEX travel booking only perk, and they don't usually discount.

My agent is an AMEX agent and she discounts heavily. Some agents discount, others do not.

The AMEX perk is for one specific AMEX card (not all the AMEX cards) - I don't remember which one but it has an annual fee of $300 or $400 per year.

When we've had TA "gifts" and OBC's, we've never had a problem. The OBC won't show up on the Cruise Personalizer - only Princess credits show up there. Other things are either delivered to your cabin the day you embark or you will have a certificate waiting for you. It's always worked out for us.

I called many travel agents-no one was giving a thing.Is it because i am booking so far in advance????

I called many travel agents-no one was giving a thing.Is it because i am booking so far in advance????

Did you call large agencies? Did you book during a holiday time period or maybe on a small ship that often has restrictions on group bookings such as Royal Princess?

When we booked our Crown cruise, the TA told us each of us was getting getting $50 onboard credit and a free dinner at Sabatini's.

The $50 onboard credit appears on the TA's invoice but there's no mention of the dinner. More importantly, neither the credit nor the dinner shows up online in the cruise personalizer.

We've been using this TA for more years than I care to count and she's never steered us wrong before. When I ask about why the dinner isn't listed on the invoice or why neither the credit nor the dinner appear online, she says it's an "internal thing" with Princess and when we get onboard the credit will be on our account and there'll be a card in the cabin re the free dinner at Sabatini's.

Generally, when we have gotten TA "perks" its comes in a certificate when to get to your room... It's generally waiting in the cabin when you arrive...

Not necessairly. These are often promos from group bookings, special travel agent promos or AMEX card promos - they do not cost the agent anything.

For example - one could get the same price for a cruise if they were booked into group space or not, the main difference is that the group space may have amenities such as OBC, photos, coupon books, etc.... This is why it is often better to book with agents who have lots of group space.

Thanks for the info. I stand (or sit) corrected. I know I've received bottles of wine, which I didn't want, and felt that I would have preferred a credit instead.

I know I've received bottles of wine, which I didn't want, and felt that I would have preferred a credit instead.

I have had that also. It is part of my agent's group booking as she knows I don't drink wine and would not go out of her way to send that to me. It is automatic with the group incentive.

I agree with Cindy. Carry a copy of everything with you. When we were on the Celebrity Mercury a few months ago, our TA gave us spa credit. We even received a little card in our stateroom stating that we received spa credit from our TA. When we went to the spa, we were assured that the credit would reflect on the final bill. We should have realized something was wrong when it didn't appear on the interactive TV bill. Sure enough, on the day of disembarkation, the bill slipped under the door did not have the credit taken off. That resulted in a two hour wait (with six million other people complaining about something or another) at the purser's desk (the day of disembarkation). Of course the purser's desk blamed the spa people. They couldn't even get the spa people on the phone that morning! Good thing we didn't throw away that little card, because they wanted that as proof. Next time, we'll make sure that the credit is credited at the time of purchase.

Thanks for your responses.

The OBC and dinner were not agent perks and although we did pay by AmX Platinum, they weren't AmX perks either. They were perks offered by Princess at time of booking which was some eight months ago, and it's because they were Princess perks that I expected to see them on the Cruise Personalizer. Nevertheless, we'll bring the agency paperwork as we always do and offer it should there be an issue with the OBC. As far as Sabatini's goes, hopefully there'll be a card in the cabin and if not - it's really no biggie.

Most usually you will get these perks after you get onboard. I am always afraid they will be left off but after several cruises, we have had good luck. Our TA adds extras in for us just because we use him so much. If you have a good TA, keep them because after reading about some of the problems here on this board, they must be few and far between these days. We feel very fortunate:)

My agent is an AMEX agent and she discounts heavily. Some agents discount, others do not.

The AMEX perk is for one specific AMEX card (not all the AMEX cards) - I don't remember which one but it has an annual fee of $300 or $400 per year.

It is a perk for Amex Platinum members who use Amex Platinum travel. The free dinner is one of their perks and our last two cruises we got the $50 on board credit. It shows up on your Captain's Circle credits. We also got a coupon for a free 6 x 8 photo when we sailed the Crown last year and this year. The hitch with the dinner if it is using Amex Platinum is that it is only good the first night you sail.

It is a perk for Amex Platinum members who use Amex Platinum travel. The free dinner is one of their perks and our last two cruises we got the $50 on board credit. It shows up on your Captain's Circle credits. We also got a coupon for a free 6 x 8 photo when we sailed the Crown last year and this year.

It is a perk for Amex Platinum members who use Amex Platinum travel. The free dinner is one of their perks and our last two cruises we got the $50 on board credit. It shows up on your Captain's Circle credits. We also got a coupon for a free 6 x 8 photo when we sailed the Crown last year and this year.

Thank you. I don't have the card and couldn't remember which card it was.

Has anyone been down this road before? Any advice? Thanks!

I would take something in writing with you as pleading your case onboard with no documention will be next to impossible. :)

American Express offers benefits on Princess for Platinum card holders who book through American Express Platinum Travel. This is just one of many benefits included in the (large) annual fee one pays for the card. Other examples include entrance to some airline lounges, 2-for-1 international business/first airline tickets, etc.

In comparing the prices/benefits available through a variety of TAs, in our particular case the AmEx package worked out best. But that involved putting ones own value on the different things being offered.

On our recent Crown cruise, there was a card in the cabin confirming our benefits. But each place on board ship had a note of it too. Sabatinis was for the first night - a great meal and not crowded then.

I would recommend you go to (or call) Sabatinis after boarding to confirm the details. In the unlikely event of any confusion there would still be time to call your TA while you still have cell phone coverage in port....

Archived