"Beaches" In Sydney

Hey Everyone -

Does anyone know of any beaches in Sydney? The only North Atlantic beach I have ever been to was on Long Island and even though it was cold, it was beautiful (I certainly dont plan on getting in the water!), but I would love to spend a little time at another northern beach. We dont really have any plans in Sydney, so I thought this might be a good port to get my beach fix :)

Thanks!

Carey

I'm afraid you are out of luck in Sydney if you mean a "beach fix" aka a beach day???? I guess you could do that near Peggy's Cover in NS??? The Fortress at Louisbourg near Sydney is on the water and there is a sort of "beach" there but it's not a public beach. We were on Victory last year.. it's a great itinerary and so much to do in each port... maybe you could do the pool thing one day and close your eyes and imagine you are at the beach????:rolleyes:

Im not really looking for anything more than a place that I can walk up to the water. I dont need a beach day - I certainly dont want to lay out on beach in October :)

There is a place called Dominion Beach and another one called Indian Beach that I just found, but cant seem to find an actual location for where the ship docks, so I have no idea how close I might be to any of these places.

Does anyone have a physical address for the cruise terminal in Sydney?

Carey, sorry to say I didn't find out a whole lot. Dominion Beach Provincial Park appears to be the closest; however it is open through the end of August only. There is also Mira Cut Beach, about 15 miles from Sydney. Directions are in the first link below.

http://www.louisbourg.ca/attractionsbeaches.htm

Perhaps this site can help ID some other spots:

http://parks.gov.ns.ca/

On further thought -- it's probably only the camping facilities, etc. that are closed... there should be more info on the Parks Canada site.

But if you just want to walk up to the water, I suggest a visit to the Fortress of Lousibourg. That is a wonderful day in itself, and as Caroline mentioned, it's right on the water and not exactly a beach.

What are your other ports of call?

We will also be visiting Boston, Portland and Halifax.

The Fortress of Louisbourg just doesnt interest me eventhough most people seem to visit there when they are in Sydney. Maybe I'm missing something - I'll do some more research on it.

Archived