Kona Transport

2cruz

I was thinking of having a beach day in Kona. Interested in possibly doing Kahuluu. I've read that there are shuttles that go there but have read conflicting prices. Can someone let me know. How about cost of taxi to Kahuluu? I was also thinking about Waikoloa area. Which beach would be better with children and also for snorkeling and walking around? Thanks ahead.

The taxi from the pier cost us $15.00 each way. There were three of us. The shuttle would have cost us the same, but I cannot remember what the individual price was (probably $5.00 per person). We took the taxi because it was there and we didn't have to wait for the shuttle. It seemed the taxis would wait at the beach for a fare to return to the pier, we just walked back to the parking lot and got in a taxi that was waiting.

A taxi up to Waikoloa would be very expensive. It's a great area. (Actually, the whole Kohala coast is full of terrific beaches and resorts.) But, it's quite a drive from Kona. Are you considering renting a car? If so, then Waikoloa or that area would be a good choice. If not, then Kahalu'u is the way to go, especially with kids because it's protected for good snorkeling (and turtle watching). Walking around there, not so much. It's not a "beach" beach. But there is a food place and (I think) equipment rental. Families hang out there all the time.

beachchick

I was thinking of having a beach day in Kona. Interested in possibly doing Kahuluu. I've read that there are shuttles that go there but have read conflicting prices. Can someone let me know. How about cost of taxi to Kahuluu? I was also thinking about Waikoloa area. Which beach would be better with children and also for snorkeling and walking around? Thanks ahead.

I just noticed that gorabbitgo has added a beach day to Waikoloa for much less than NCL. Below is the web link.

http://www.gorabbitgo.com/waikoloa.php

Archived