Is "Friends of Hyacinth" an oxymoron? Do we care?

pb82

I endorse Matthew's delightful suggestion in the http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=589772&page=4#post10921949 thread.

To which I added the suggestion that Cruise Critic members should put themselves on the Daily Programme as "Friends of Hyacinth Bucket".

It would confuse everyone who wasn't in Cruise Critic - Cunard board!

Matthew

However I am troubled by the illogic of "Friends of" when referring to Hyacinth.

We need a dynamite acronym to which at least semi-reasonable words can be associated. Something much better than: SNOB, "Seagoing Neighbors Of the Bucket", for a poor example.

Long ago, when I was an infant programmer, I used a trajectory generator/simulator program named ROCKET, which stood for "RAND Orbital Calculator of Kinematics of Earth Trajectories", and the authors at RAND were proud that they created the acronym long before the program.

We need something that sexy. Any suggestions?

Paul

I endorse Matthew's delightful suggestion in the http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=589772&page=4#post10921949 thread.

However I am troubled by the illogic of "Friends of" when referring to Hyacinth.

Paul

I'm not sure we're all capable to living up to "sexy". I'm not, for a start.

I suggested FOH - friends of Hyacinth - after those good sociable people Bill W and his ever diligent co-socialite Dorothy.

It was the thought that this would confuse other passengers, enough to make a good trivia question but not enough to annoy, that gave it a bit of a tingle.

Matthew

Cunarders

Addicted,

Undeniably

Seasoned and

Experienced

I like the idea of saying I have to take a vacation to to work on my favorite CAUSE.

Or I have to contribute money to the best CAUSE I know.

Or just beCAUSE

Melissa

We need a dynamite acronym to which at least semi-reasonable words can be associated. Something much better than: SNOB, "Seagoing Neighbors Of the Bucket", for a poor example.

Long ago, when I was an infant programmer, I used a trajectory generator/simulator program named ROCKET, which stood for "RAND Orbital Calculator of Kinematics of Earth Trajectories", and the authors at RAND were proud that they created the acronym long before the program.

Paul

Bucket

Owners

On

Board

Immensely

Elegant

Ship

?

I'm not sure we're all capable to living up to "sexy". I'm not, for a start.

I suggested FOH - friends of Hyacinth - after those good sociable people Bill W and his ever diligent co-socialite Dorothy.

It was the thought that this would confuse other passengers, enough to make a good trivia question but not enough to annoy, that gave it a bit of a tingle.

Matthew

I think a meeting for - friends of Hyacinth - would be a smashing idea. But Onslow would be at Bill W's and Sheridan at Dorothy's.

Incidentally do I get to be a charter member as I was on the QE2 when they filmed that episode of 'Keeping Up Appearances'.

Paul.

Hyacinths

Admiring

Gin

Swillers?

Sweet

Hyacinths

Adulation

Group?

Hyacinth's

Etiquette

Learners

League?

Teaching

Etiquette

Early

To

Observant

Travelling

Adult

Lushes?

Mixed

Adult

Recreational

Training

In

New

Inspiritational

Schemes?

Mildly

Annoying

New

Hyacinths

Advice

To

Total

Amateur

Nerds

Sure ought to confuse all the US travellers who never turn on Public Television and wouldn't know Hyacinth from the Vicar of Dibley or Mr. Humphries.

Hey! I know all three of those series! We have both PBS and BBC America over here you know ;) . I have the Keeping Up Appearances episode on DVD and had the pleasure of sailing with Patricia Routledge aboard QE2 several years ago.

Julia

What about a "Friends of Sam" type of meeting/party... aptly named in honor of the founder of Cunard.

Just a thought. ;)

Nice, although it doesn't bring the bucket into it. It was the lunacy of the bucket hosting a Cruise Critic meeting in the Commodore Club that made FOH so perfect in my view.

Matthew

Nice, although it doesn't bring the bucket into it. It was the lunacy of the bucket hosting a Cruise Critic meeting in the Commodore Club that made FOH so perfect in my view.

Matthew

I like FOH. OTOH, I'm just carrying the thing, so I like them all. The rest of you are charged with coming up with a name for the meeting(s).

And then will we have to take a vote as to what is in the bucket?

Sure ought to confuse all the US travellers who never turn on Public Television and wouldn't know Hyacinth from the Vicar of Dibley or Mr. Humphries.[/quote

I am a big fan of Keeping up Appearances ( poor richard )

No one seeming to be troubled by the notion of Hyacinth actually having a friend, let us then be known, as Matthew suggested, as the "Friends of Hyacinth", FOH (pronounced "faux", as in "pas").

Incidentally do I get to be a charter member as I was on the QE2 when they filmed that episode of 'Keeping Up Appearances'.

Paul.

Absolutely, and having the perpetual and irrevocable honor of buying the first round at every meeting.

Hyacinths

Admiring

Gin

Swillers?

Mildly

Annoying

New

Hyacinths

Advice

To

Total

Amateur

Nerds

Peter, good that you have a hobby to pass the time until video games infect the Channel Islands.

Cruisecritics

Undeniably

Nice

And

Ready for

Dinner

Good, but I prefer:

Cruisecritics

unyielding

no

about

relaxing

dresscodes.

Perhaps our motto should be WWHD (what would Hyacinth do)

;)

What else?!

Thanks for the fun, fellow FOH passers,

Paul

No one seeming to be troubled by the notion of Hyacinth actually having a friend, let us then be known, as Matthew suggested, as the "Friends of Hyacinth", FOH (pronounced "faux", as in "pas").

Absolutely, and having the perpetual and irrevocable honor of buying the first round at every meeting.

Peter, good that you have a hobby to pass the time until video games infect the Channel Islands.

Good, but I prefer:

Cruisecritics

unyielding

no

about

relaxing

dresscodes.

What else?!

Thanks for the fun, fellow FOH passers,

Paul

What, you didn't like mine? It was the sexiest I could think of, and you asked for sexy. :rolleyes:

What, you didn't like mine? It was the sexiest I could think of, and you asked for sexy. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but several references tell me that: "The boobies are part of the family Sulidae, a group of seabirds closely related to gannets." I guess you just included twice too many vowels.

Sorry, but several references tell me that: "The boobies are part of the family Sulidae, a group of seabirds closely related to gannets." I guess you just included twice too many vowels.

Argh.

As I said elsewhere, you all pick the name. I'm just the courier.

Cruisecritics

Understand

Never

Accept

Reduced

Dresscodes

Back to my Pac-Man.....

Much higher standard than Princess!

Perfectly

Relaxed

Island

Nights