local art

becauseisaid

We(actually just me-my husband just humors me!!) like to collect a piece of locally made art from every place that we go. Are there any suggestions for finding this in:

Seattle

Skagway

Ketchikan

Juneau

Victoria???

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are quite a few places to acquire local art in Skagway and in Juneau, most are priced in the $15 to $25 range. There are plenty of shops so you have to check them all before you find something that appeals to you. we also like to take home a piece of local art. Have a good trip.

In Juneau, the main shopping drag of South Franklin is mostly mass-produced things. Where the locals shop for AK items is The Bear's Lair in the Senate Building--the spot where Franklin Street's crowds begin to thin out--Annie Kail's on Front Street, and a little shop in The Wharf I can never remember the name of. It's on the water side of the building. There's also an artist's co-op and handicrafts shop in the Senate Building.

Good luck!

I liked "A Fine Line" in Skagway. About five blocks down, but on the main street (Broadway). Seemed like the majority of items were locally made. Many nice jewelry items at reasonable prices, and I think there were also some bowls, paintings, and other artwork. I bought some very pretty porcelain earrings for $10. The shops closest to the where the ships dock in all of the ports are dominated by "Diamonds International" and such. Skip those and go further into town for the handmade items.

Archived