Blackberry (Cingular) on Splendor of the Seas

Hi everyone,

I need to know if I can use my Blackberry (Cingular) on my Splendor of the Seas Med cruise coming up in August.

Thanking everyone in advance.

Julie

I had service at sea and in port with my cingular phone on my recent Explorer of the Seas cruise.

You will have Cingular service onboard. The onboard cell system is turned off about one hour away from ports. While in port, you will be limited to the local cell system. Be sure to call Cingular (now the new AT&T) and tell them you want international service turned on for your Blackberry. Here is a link to the rate structure:

http://www.wireless.att.com/travelguide/coverage/cruise_ships_rates.jsp?PIDL=DIR%7CWC%7CWCM&dsessionid=FQQQm0GWJ346fgdrZlXhkXRNw2qvFdB2mlqm4cmjlxf1BHNGHHGJ!-1282084815!1157660688544

Happy cruising.

LL

You will have Cingular service onboard. The onboard cell system is turned off about one hour away from ports. While in port, you will be limited to the local cell system. Be sure to call Cingular (now the new AT&T) and tell them you want international service turned on for your Blackberry. Here is a link to the rate structure:

http://www.wireless.att.com/travelguide/coverage/cruise_ships_rates.jsp?PIDL=DIR%7CWC%7CWCM&dsessionid=FQQQm0GWJ346fgdrZlXhkXRNw2qvFdB2mlqm4cmjlxf1BHNGHHGJ!-1282084815!1157660688544

Happy cruising.

LL

The prices found at link provided above is for phone calls which only provides a third of the information for a Crackberry user. The rate for sending text messages is 50¢/message. The rate for GPRS data is 1.95¢/KB.

But please go visit this link of the AT&T International Roaming web pages as there is very detailed information there which will be much more reliable than asking here on CC. You can also call them to answer your questions and confirm prices. If you do, then you may want to aks the AT&T representative about the posting guidelines on Cruise Critic message boards... ;)

Be careful with the expensive data charges. On my BB 8700 I found no way to disable just the data portion so I could still receive phone calls, so I ended up turning it off. When I got my 8800, I noticed they offer an option for disabling data services.

Be careful with the expensive data charges. On my BB 8700 I found no way to disable just the data portion so I could still receive phone calls, so I ended up turning it off. When I got my 8800, I noticed they offer an option for disabling data services.

I was able to disable data services on Blackberry Curve this summer while on a cruise. But I chose to totally turn off my phone anyway. Anyone who would call me knew I was on a cruise. As for data, I went on internet to check email, so no need to get it from BB also.

Archived