Bar Harbor city bus to Acadia

shannonh

A few years ago when we cruised to Bar Harbor, we were able to catch a city bus, not far from the pier, that went to Acadia National Park. We were able to see a good part of the park without having to take a shore excursion. Does anyone know if this still exists? If so, where specifically would the bus be caught? My elderly mother is going this time with her friends and I want to make sure that this is do-able before she gets there. Thanks for any info.

The shuttle buses leave from the back side of the town square.

When you get off the tender, you will see a steep street. Go up that street and keep walking for a few blocks. You can't miss the town square. Turn right and walk towards the fire house. The shuttles are across to the left.

A few years ago when we cruised to Bar Harbor, we were able to catch a city bus, not far from the pier, that went to Acadia National Park. We were able to see a good part of the park without having to take a shore excursion. Does anyone know if this still exists? If so, where specifically would the bus be caught? My elderly mother is going this time with her friends and I want to make sure that this is do-able before she gets there. Thanks for any info.

I have found a tour site that will take you there for 20.00 a person, here is the fellas email to me:

We'll be running our regularly scheduled 2 and 1/2 hour tours of Bar

Harbor/ Acadia at 10AM and 2PM. Because the ship is in we'll also run

an extra trip sometime to be determined around 11:00. Our price is 20.00

per person which is about 1/2 what the ship charges for the same tour.

Thanks

for your inquiry

If that helps let me know.. he did mention that they are like less then a football field away from where we dock

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The chamber of commerce website for Bar Harbor is: http://www.barharborinfo.com/

If you click on activities there are a couple of different tour companies listed.

http://www.exploreacadia.com/ is the site for the Island Explorer shuttle bus. This is the free bus that leaves from the Village Green. Although this is not a "tour" bus, it does go through the park and many places around the island. The great thing about this is that you can get off at any stop, stay as long as you like, and catch a later bus as they run on a regular schedule. Check out both sites to look at your options. I have never taken a tour bus but can recommend the Island Explorer if you prefer to be independent.

Archived