Cruising The Saquenay River

• 2 weeks later...

I am far from local, but I wanted to share our experience on the Saguenay River. Several years ago we sailed it while on Spendour of the Seas, and it was a lovely experience.

I was hoping to spot a Beluga whale, but no such luck.

What did happen though, was the ship sailed up the river to a huge statue of the Madonna. We were told the reason why the statue is there, out in the middle of nowhere, and before turning the ship around at that point, the Captain blew the ship's horn a few times.

It was awesome! I don't want to tell you the story, as it's well worth waiting for. :)

Vada

I'm thinking migration times in Spring and Fall would be best but this site may better answer your questions. http://www.canadacool.com/COOLFACTS/QUEBEC/SaguenayWhales.htmlhttp://www.canadacool.com/COOLFACTS/QUEBEC/SaguenayWhales.html

Looks like the belugas hang out there all year round.

We are not going down the Sauguenay river on our cruise, but will go down the Saint Lawrence on our way to and from Quebec City. Since the whales must also use this route, will see them in the St. Lawrence?

The whales are mostly in the marine park at the mouth of the Saguenay river.

I assure you that the St. Lawrence estuary at this particular location isn't "small" at all and neither is the Saguenay. The ferry from Baie Ste-Catherine to Tadoussac takes 10 minutes at the mouth of the Saguenay (it's about 1.6km). But to go across the St. Lawrence estuary is about 1 hour by ferry (for example Rimouski to Forestville.)

Archived