Early of late seating?

Beach Baby

My DH and I are first time cruisers on the AOS. We leave in one week to celebrate our 17 year anniversary!!! My husband and I differ on which seating time is better. Would like some opinions of other cruisers about why they like the early or late seating.

We are in our mid to late 30s, no kids with us, and want to participate in the shows and everything we possibly can. Please help.

We find that the early seating time is too early for us so we always select late seating. We don't commonly eat dinner at 5:45 - 6:00 so late dinner (8:00 - 8:15) works better for us. It is true, at least on Princess, that you will miss some of the evening activities if you choose late seating. There is a definite bias for scheduling shows, etc. to fit with those eating early.

Only you can decide what really is important.:)

You will want to take your port times into consideration when chosing a dining time. Personally, I always chose late dining so I do not have to leave a port early in order to get back to the ship and get ready for an early dinner time. (Especially formal nights when it takes me forever to get ready!) Late dining allows for a relaxed time in port with plenty of time to prepare for dinner. BTW, while in Old San Juan you must try the Barrachina Cafe! Authentic Puerto Rican food is sooo good and this is a wonderful place to try it! (The Passion Fruit Frappe is a must try drink!)

Have a wonderful cruise!

We always take late seating. On port days you are never in a rush to get back to the ship to get ready for dinner. We can relax in a lounge or our cabin, then get ready for dinner, do the late show and then off to bed.:) :D :) :D

I like late seating because there are less children at the seating. Also, we have time to relax after a port day or get in a late swim in a nearly empty pool or relax in a hot tub before dinner or even just enjoy a drink on our verandah and watch the sunset.

We really prefer the later seating as well. The couple of times we've had the earlier seating, we've had to stop whatever we are doing to get ready for dinner. If you are in port all day, you have to really hurry to make it to dinner on time.

Some nights the shows for the late seating are held before your dinner time, so you won't miss those.

But we mostly like to have a leisurely time, perhaps take a nap before getting ready. Or, sometimes we like to go enjoy a cocktail before dinner.

We're not so much into night life. After a nice dinner we enjoy strolling a few laps up on deck, maybe stop and hear some music playing. For us, we're ready for bed after an hour or two after dinner, no matter what our seating time is, so our early seating cruises, we were in bed asleep before 10 pm.

I think based on what you say you might be better off with late seating.

The advantages of late seating are that you can spend more time in ports and not rush back to get dressed for dinner and if there is a formal night and a party before that you don't have to get ready so early in the day. The drawback can be that you don't eat until late. But, for many the latter item is not a problem.

Keith

Thank you for all your comments. It looks like I was right (as usual) My DH will have to read these and then he will agree. We are planning 2 nights at Portofinos so I can compromise and do earlier on those nigts. I have never been so excited for a trip like I am for this!!!

also, even with late seating if you find yourself in need of a noshie earlier, it won't be hard. Our routine on Carnival Pride was to hit the sushi cart when it opened for a few bites to tide us over until dinner.

You need to learn as much about your destination as possible. When we did Bermuda for our 25th, we chose early seating because we normally eat early at home. But in Bermuda, they close all the stores down at 5 pm and the employees actually go home to their families and have a life. So we ate early and then looked for things to do on land, finding some pubs open. Research is your best tool. You didn't say where you were going, so I'd suggest using search engines to find things. I found a yellow pages online for Bermuda, a great Bahamas site owned by the Bahamas tourism (or government). So my advice is to chose dinner seating based on what you're planning to do once you arrive at your destination.

Thank you for all your comments. It looks like I was right (as usual) My DH will have to read these and then he will agree. We are planning 2 nights at Portofinos so I can compromise and do earlier on those nigts. I have never been so excited for a trip like I am for this!!!

I don't believe you can choose early or late for the evenings individually. Once you choose one or the other, then that's what you get for the entire trip. Unless RCCL has changed their rules. Also, if you're leaving in a week, I imagine that your dining time has already been assigned. Check with your TA (if you used one) or call the cruise line directly to find out. If you wish to have a different dining time, then talk with the Maitr'd (sp?) the first night and request the change. It isn't always accommodated, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

BTW, happy anniversary!!!

I don't believe you can choose early or late for the evenings individually. Once you choose one or the other, then that's what you get for the entire trip. Unless RCCL has changed their rules. Also, if you're leaving in a week, I imagine that your dining time has already been assigned. Check with your TA (if you used one) or call the cruise line directly to find out. If you wish to have a different dining time, then talk with the Maitr'd (sp?) the first night and request the change. It isn't always accommodated, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

BTW, happy anniversary!!!

I think she was compromising and willing to go to the specialty restaurants early :) Your reservation with the specialty restaurants doesn't have anything to do with your dining room assignment.

We prefer the late seating so that we're not rushed to get ready for dinner after a day at port. The late dinner gives us plenty of time to come back, relax for a bit, shower and get dressed. There is always pizza from the pizza bar or soft servce ice cream to tide us over! :D

Base you dinner decision on when you normally eat at home. Your tummy will thank you!

we usually eat about 6:- 6:30 at home. First cruise we ate at the later seating based on what people were reporting here about the ports.

Dinner was done by 10pm.. I had such a hard time sleeping at night since all that food just sat in my belly with hardly anytime to digest.

We took early seating since-- for us it has been better.

Having early dinner also allows time to visit the midnight buffet sometimes.

Most of your ports except aruba you will be back on the ship at 4:30 or 5pm depending on the port.. a 6:15 dining time is perfect for me.

I agree with the others about getting back from port. Another reason my DH and I choose late setting is to watch the sunset from the back of the ship before going to dinner. I can't think of anything more beautiful to watch. We always go to the late show after dinner and make it in plenty of time. I am not sure what line you are cruising on, but we have sailed Carnival each time. So that could be different on other lines.

I agree with the others about getting back from port. Another reason my DH and I choose late setting is to watch the sunset from the back of the ship before going to dinner. I can't think of anything more beautiful to watch. We always go to the late show after dinner and make it in plenty of time. I am not sure what line you are cruising on, but we have sailed Carnival each time. So that could be different on other lines.

When was your last cruise? I thought carnival changed the show times. Early dinner goes to the late one and late dinner goes to the one before dinner. DId they change it back?

Archived