Does anyone know of a cruiseline called Paquet?

Trying to find as many crewmembers as I can from the S/S Rhapsody where I was a purser:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=8428&id=100000979994313&l=2d06381a56

:) Its funny to read about the Rhapsody 29 years... later ...

I was safety officer on this ship during few years. Could be nice to get news from crew members...

• 2 weeks later...

If you know of anyone who worked on the S.S. Rhapsody in the mid '80's, or even who might have traveled as a passenger, please share the link to my Paquet Facebook Album. Trying to reconnect with old friends.

Share my Paquet album with anyone by sending them this public link.

• 5 weeks later...

Our first cruise - our honeymoon - was on the Paquet Rhapsody in September 1983. We sailed from Vancouver to Alaska/Inland Passage and back to Vancouver. We had an absolutely fantastic trip (except for losing all ship's power in the wee hours of the morning one day - it took several hours for repairs).

We had such excellent service on that ship that we still remember a waiter named Mendez. To this day, when we want something done around the house, we ask each other "Where is Mendez anyway? He'll take care of it."

• 1 month later...

Great pictures! I didn't see myself in any of them but it sure looks like you had a great time. I also worked Carnival. The first ship I ever worked was the Festival (2 wks), then the Marti Gras (2 months), the Carnival (3 wks) and finally the Holiday (2 wks) which was a brand new ship then and all the rave. I think she was the first in her class of ships if I recall.

Of all the ships I worked I had the most fun on the Festival, likely because it was my first ship and it was new to me.

I remember we had nicknamed Carnival ships "the screw ships" because they were always finding people screwing in the life boats, elevators and just about anywhere they could find a semi-private spot. One night I went out by the pool with a date to find there was a couple on top ot the pool net going to town, and a steward standing by the edge telling them they had to leave (whom they ignored). He picked up one of the long poles and began tapping the couple on the back with it while they were "taking care of business". The guy wasn't too happy about it and yelled a few explitives at the steward. It was notably one of the best shows I ever saw on a ship. My date and I laughed our a**es off.

I made a couple of posters on the Marti Gras and hung one of them in the crew hallway. It stayed there for about two days until the first officer saw it and ripped it down. I was bored... so made a cutout poster of the Festival humping the Mardi Graw. Aparently the first officer didn't see it as amusing. He searched for days to find the culpret and asked everyone (including me). Nobody gave me up though! I made another and hung it in my room. It went to Ben the bass player when I left.

It was a great time in life, wasn't it? We had a blast. I wouldn't trade those memories for all the gold in the world. (well... maybe for all of it)

Curtis

I was one of the Pursers on the S/S Rhapsody and maybe either or both of you are in my Paquet Album on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=8428&id=100000979994313&l=2d06381a56

I have been able to find a ton load of crewmembers from my years on Carnival but so far none from Paquet and I need some to help me remember names and TAG some of the other crewmembers in my album.

Cheers,

Mark

• 10 months later...

We were on the Dolphin IV in August, 1983. We remember the unlimited French wine served with dinner! While we were on the ship one of the propellers hit something and we had a terrible vibration on the return from Nassau to Miami. It was a lovely ship--the older, smaller ships had so much more class than the new megaships.

• 3 months later...

My first two cruises (up to 41 now) were on the Mermoz in the spring of 1979. It was a memorable, international experience since as I remember the announcements were made in four languages. They were 10 and 11 day cruises in the Carribean and whetted my appetite to see more of the world. The ship was so different from today's megaliners. I still remember the fuel smell that permeated the entryway, the library with the small circular stairs, the funny doors to the dining room, and the single cabins. Visiting the French islands on a French ship added to the international impression of a then small town girl. I still have a 45 record from the entertainer Marie Claire and a souvenir lighter with a picture of the Mermoz on it.

Edited by BETELVE

• 5 months later...

I love this "What Ever Happened to..." You see just how many people remember cruising the way it use to be and the old great ships.

Sailed on the Rhapsody in 1983. Here's some pictures - the pool area, the cafe and anchored off Grand Cayman.

57205233_Rhapsody1(600x403).jpg.82cf844a6ba1b10b2ec6aa281d7dee63.jpg

1836425970_Rhapsody4(600x414).jpg.2ae2a0374e9d0db4b7cb244da5d497db.jpg

687782074_Rhapsody2(600x407).jpg.d64890c43eecd25ead2b9923f3dbfec9.jpg

• 1 year later...

I cruised on the Mermoz & Rhapsody and Dolphin IV. They were very Francophone-oriented, which I enjoyed as I speak some French. See my signature for the specific cruises.

On the Rhapsody I visited the indoor swimming pool, a glory of the old Statendam--green, blue and gold mosaic if I remember. Gorgeous.

Edited by shrimp56
correction

• 2 years later...

We cruised on Paquet (was called the Pearl then) owned by Orient Line, but we did not know that, they had just sold the Pearl and when we booked a Cruise with Orient Line, they said welcome back :confused:, the Cruise was on the 16 Feb.1995 ( Bangkok, Bali & Beyond), that was the BEST Cruise we have ever done. it was a very small Ship, but on the end of the Cruise we had made so many Friends :). If there is someone out there that was on this cruise, my Wife is Asian and we were on the Show (newly weds & not so newly weds) :D, after that we cruised with Orient Line (Marco Polo) for many many cruises, until they sold it, that was another great Ship

• 5 years later...

I was on the MS Mermoz in 1976 when it ran aground off Belize.  I must have been 12 or so.  We were transferred to the Royal Viking Sea (Norwegian Cruise Line now, not sure what it was called back then) in the dead of night.

2 hours ago, keezster said:

I was on the MS Mermoz in 1976 when it ran aground off Belize.  I must have been 12 or so.  We were transferred to the Royal Viking Sea (Norwegian Cruise Line now, not sure what it was called back then) in the dead of night.

The Royal Viking Sea was the 3rd ship of luxury cruise line - Royal Viking Cruises. In the mid-80's, Royal Viking Line was purchased by Klosters, which also owned NCL. In the early 90's it was transferred to Royal Cruises as Royal Odyssey, later becoming Norwegian Star.

The cruise line ceased to exist in the late 90's, as the name was purchased by Cunard, which when purchased by Carnival transferred Royal Viking to Seabourn Cruises.

• 6 months later...

I cruised on Rhapsody in 1985 from Vancouver to Alaska, my first cruise experience. I loved that ship, such good memories! I have recently been on some cruises on very large ships and it's just not the same. We just got back from a cruise in the Greek islands, on a small ship (600 passengers.....though because of covid there were only 350) and will never go back to the large ships

• Thanks 1

The only nice souvenir I have for this line is a souvenir scarf from the SS Rhapsody, which I have a photo of. I had to edit the photo a bit to show the name as it didn't come out too clear, hence why the name is brighter then the rest of the scarf. 

ss_rhapsody_scarf_by_wildelf34_dab08o3-fullview.jpg

• 6 months later...