Report - Crowne Plaza Hotel San Pedro by CJW

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I may have missed it in the thread, but for those of you who booked rooms with Crown Plaza or Doubletree hotels through priceline - how much did you pay for parking at the hotels during the cruise? Was parking availability a problem?

Thanks!

I too was wondering the same thing so I called both places. The Crown Plaza told me that I could park there for $10/day if there was space available. The Doubletree told me no problem with the parking & no charge. Now I just have to figure out how to bid Priceline to get the Doubletree!

Here's an excellent Greek restaurant we go to for special occasions:

http://www.papadakistaverna.com/

The food is excellent and the family makes sure everyone has a fun time! I recommend reservations, especially on weekends. They are a block west on 6th very near the CP.

I second the recommendation but they are closing up the restaurant in the near future. Don't know when that will be but call ahead if you want to dine there.

We stayed at this hotel about 2 years ago before our Mex. Riv. NCL cruise. We were scheduled for a late arrival, so I called the hotel before our arrival and was assured that the hotel restaurant and bar would be open at midnight when we arrived. Not so....everything was shut down tight. So, the desk clerk was able to provide us with a pitcher of Diet Coke....(we were hoping for something stronger!!)...but once we got to our room to sit and enjoy our libations.....there was a big f***ing mouse sitting and looking at us the entire time. We tried to chase this extra roommate away...but he seemed to think that he lived there and had no reason to leave. Needless to say...we were grossed out and will not return to this hotel.

We stayed at this hotel about 2 years ago before our Mex. Riv. NCL cruise. We were scheduled for a late arrival, so I called the hotel before our arrival and was assured that the hotel restaurant and bar would be open at midnight when we arrived. Not so....everything was shut down tight. So, the desk clerk was able to provide us with a pitcher of Diet Coke....(we were hoping for something stronger!!)...but once we got to our room to sit and enjoy our libations.....there was a big f***ing mouse sitting and looking at us the entire time. We tried to chase this extra roommate away...but he seemed to think that he lived there and had no reason to leave. Needless to say...we were grossed out and will not return to this hotel.

I didn't know the hotel allowed pets.

I second the recommendation but they are closing up the restaurant in the near future. Don't know when that will be but call ahead if you want to dine there.

That's terrible news!:( We will have to go to Papadakis one last time. Any idea why they are folding their tent?

Originally Posted by kapoho2 there was a big f***ing mouse sitting and looking at us the entire time.

Are you sure you weren't in Anaheim?:D

That's terrible news!:( We will have to go to Papadakis one last time. Any idea why they are folding their tent?

My understanding of the situation is that John wants to retire. Apparantly none of the family members wishes to continue. Petros has his ESPN gig so he's good. It is a shame.

I want to thank you for all the information you have posted. I have checked out both the Doubletree and Crowne Plaza's web sites and I am still just as confused as ever. Which one would be the best for first-time cruisers out of San Pedro who are from the east and not familiar with LA at all?

I want to thank you for all the information you have posted. I have checked out both the Doubletree and Crowne Plaza's web sites and I am still just as confused as ever. Which one would be the best for first-time cruisers out of San Pedro who are from the east and not familiar with LA at all?

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza last week and I would say that their rooms are a cut below those of the Double Tree Inn which is where we stayed in December. The CP is definately more centrally located, the staff very friendly, there is a Starbucks around the corner, they have at least 4 shuttle vans and buses and will take you anywhere within a 5 mile radius of the hotel. The DTI is not close to anything but they also will shuttle you almost anywhere but the big plus to us was the quality of the rooms and the classic California ambience of the hotel and its surroundings . If the rates are comparable we will definately go back to the DTI.

We're from NY and heading to San Pedro for our first West Coast Cruise this Fall, so we had the same confusion.

The folks on this board have been amazing with knowledge and tips - especially the pictures, reviews, and suggestions of CJW and the others!

We finally decided on the Crown Plaza mainly for two reasons: 1) It appears to be more central to other activities than the DoubleTree, and 2) We got it for a great price on Priceline!

Don't misunderstand...I am a huge fan of Doubletree, and stay there many times for work as I travel, but the one in San Pedro seems to be only near the Marina - and nothing else! As they did not come up as my successful bid on Priceline, I am now able to save those Hilton points for another vacation. It was my first choice for San Pedro, but after research, we are looking forward to the Crown Plaza!

Good Luck!

:)

Since we will be using the hotel for only one night I guess I will go with the Crowne because of its location to eating places and the port. Coming in from NW Florida will take most of the day so we really won't be doing any sightseeing. Just so long as it's clean and quiet.

Since we will be using the hotel for only one night I guess I will go with the Crowne because of its location to eating places and the port. Coming in from NW Florida will take most of the day so we really won't be doing any sightseeing. Just so long as it's clean and quiet.

The DTI will shuttle you back and forth to any of the restaurants and I would particualrly recommend the 22nd Street Landing for a good tuck in of west coast seafood dishes.

Can you see the port from the Doubletree? I would love to be able to see the ship when it comes in. Being a 2 hour time difference I would expect to be up early enough in the morning to see that.

Can you see the port from the Doubletree? I would love to be able to see the ship when it comes in. Being a 2 hour time difference I would expect to be up early enough in the morning to see that.

Yes you can but it is a bit of a distant view. The CP, if you get a view of the water would be better for that.

New to Cruisin (and any other Priceline Users),

Can you give me some guidelines to follow if I want to book either the Crosn Plaza or the Doubletree on Priceline?

Thanks,

Gale

Hi GALE!

Sure thing!

1) When you go to Priceline,com, go to the "name your own price" page.

2) Enter the city (San Pedro, CA), and the dates of your stay, where it asks for it. Hit "next".

3) On the map page, check only the San Pedro box (Area 3)

4) Check "3-star" (there are no 4-star hotels in that area)

5) Enter your bid ($65) and your name. Click "NEXT"

Go through the "terms and conditions" page, initial it, and then continue to bid on your trip.

If you are not already logged in as a Priceline user, you will have to do that somewhere along the way, too, so have your credit card handy!

If your bid doesn't get accepted the first time, you will be able to try again in 24 hours, but this should work for you!

GOOD LUCK!

They won't charge at the DTI but the CP will charge you $10 per day which is less than the $12 they charge at the terminal lot....however you have to allow for a tip for the shuttle driver and pretty soon you may as well take the best price and park at the terminal. However having said that some of the stay, park and cruise packages make a lot of sense.

Hi GALE!

Sure thing!

1) When you go to Priceline,com, go to the "name your own price" page.

2) Enter the city (San Pedro, CA), and the dates of your stay, where it asks for it. Hit "next".

3) On the map page, check only the San Pedro box (Area 3)

4) Check "3-star" (there are no 4-star hotels in that area)

5) Enter your bid ($65) and your name. Click "NEXT"

Go through the "terms and conditions" page, initial it, and then continue to bid on your trip.

If you are not already logged in as a Priceline user, you will have to do that somewhere along the way, too, so have your credit card handy!

If your bid doesn't get accepted the first time, you will be able to try again in 24 hours, but this should work for you!

GOOD LUCK!

Any idea how early you can bid on Priceline.....my cruise is 4/26/09.

Also since you said there are no 4* in San Pedro, would you be able to use 4* as a re-bid opportunity?

Thanks

Any idea how early you can bid on Priceline.....my cruise is 4/26/09.

Also since you said there are no 4* in San Pedro, would you be able to use 4* as a re-bid opportunity?

Thanks

I recall reading a post from someone who obtained a Priceline hotel one year prior. I would not be booking non-refundable hotels one year in advance. Wait until you are inside the penalty period, or if you are going to buy insurance, wait until just before you are in the penalty period.

Archived