Report - Crowne Plaza Hotel San Pedro by CJW

Also since you said there are no 4* in San Pedro, would you be able to use 4* as a re-bid opportunity?

Thanks

No.

The web page will return a dn tell you that you have to change your bid because no 4-star hotels exist in the area you chose.

The good news is that you don't have to change ANYTHING when you rebid if you wait 24 hours and reply to the email they send you!

Good Luck!

:)

Seabeagle- I see you are from Crestview, we are from Niceville- down the street from you.when are you taking your cruise? We fly out 5/31 to LA and are staying at the Doubletree. ( Got it on price line)We leave 6/1 on Disney Magic.Any recommendation for a restauarnt when we arrive a Doubletree. Our flight doesn't land until 6 pm so we probably won't reach the hotel until at least 8- 8:30-I guess we'll use the vans from the hotel.

I am just starting the research portion for our cruise in April 09. I am so impressed with the information and help all of you regulars are giving on here. I use CC for a lot of research and since we normally sail from FL have gotten comfortable with the port and things there. I was a little nervous about going from CA as I have never been there. with the great info and help you all are giving I already feel better and am now happily anticipating the trip! We plan to come a couple of days early to do some tourist stuf before the cruise.

THANKS!

Here's an excellent Greek restaurant we go to for special occasions:

http://www.papadakistaverna.com/

The food is excellent and the family makes sure everyone has a fun time! I recommend reservations, especially on weekends. They are a block west on 6th very near the CP.

A special thanks to those who suggested this restaurant. We went prior to our cruise and loved the food and the entertainment (singing, dancing, belly dancer etc). :) I am so sorry to hear it is closing b/c it was a great evening and it was doing a booming business the night we were there

CJW,

Thanks for all the information, and photos for Long Beach. We come down at Christmas each year (tradition), go out to dinner in Belmont Shores and walk the canals looking at all the Christmas lights.......so fun.

And we love to come down to do the Monarch cruise, and will miss her when she leaves. We are booked on the Mariner when she gets here, and will see how that goes.

A special thanks to those who suggested this restaurant. We went prior to our cruise and loved the food and the entertainment (singing, dancing, belly dancer etc). :) I am so sorry to hear it is closing b/c it was a great evening and it was doing a booming business the night we were there

I was talking to an employee from Papadakis the other day and the word now is they are NOT closing. I forsee it being one of those sudden closures if it does indeed shut down. I am crossing my fingers that the restaurant remains open and am happy it will be taking customers through the end of the year at least.

You're welcome, glad it was a fun time!!

Offthevine- Thank you for the recon, I'm going in 2 weeks for a friend's bday!

Seabeagle- I see you are from Crestview, we are from Niceville- down the street from you.when are you taking your cruise? We fly out 5/31 to LA and are staying at the Doubletree. ( Got it on price line)We leave 6/1 on Disney Magic.Any recommendation for a restauarnt when we arrive a Doubletree. Our flight doesn't land until 6 pm so we probably won't reach the hotel until at least 8- 8:30-I guess we'll use the vans from the hotel.

Nice to see someone from close to home on this board. We don't go on our cruise until just before Thanksgiving. We will be on the Golden Princess to Hawaii and back. Please let me know how you get to/from airport/hotel or pier. I still need to see how we'll get to the hotel from the airport. Let me know if you would like to e-mail separately.

We are using Supershuttle from LAX to San Pedro.I will let you know how it works out for us.We just pre-booked. Someone on another thread gave a discount code that worked like a charm .We got $3.00 discount each fare.We are staying at the Doubltree which was booked through priceline.Are you flying out the day before you sail?Where are you flying out of? We are leaving from Ft Walton. Only two more days til we leave !!!

You can email me at wendyp247@hotmail.com

I think you will like the Double Tree Inn it was probably one of the nicest hotels that we have stayed in for a while. We were there just before Christmas for the Diamond Princess's Hawaiian cruise. To us it was classic coastal California, we had a room over looking the marina and LA Yacht Club and just loved it.

Thanks for the thumbs up on Doubletree. Do you recommend any nearby placees to eat for dinner or breakfast in the morning before we board the ship?

You're pretty secluded at the Doubletree so restaurants within walking distance are pretty limited. For dinner you have the 22nd Street Landing, on, of course, 22nd street. For breakfast Rex's Cafe on Pacific and 22nd street has great food. If you have time, the Doubletree will shuttle you into downtown (two minutes away) where you have a larger selection of restaurants for dinner.

The Double Tree Inn lays out a very good hot breakfast buffet. The only problem is they have a fairly limited dining area for the size of the hotel so there can be line ups for meals. I agree that the 22nd Street Landing has wonderfull views and is a great place for a seafood dinner; two people, dinner, bottle of wine and tip will run about $100.

Wendy....what is the discount code...is it still an option?

We go in September.

You have a very interesting avatar. I'm guessing that it is the Vision of the Seas docked in PV in October 2005 ...

VOSinPV.jpg

Try this code UYR59, it worked for me last Sunday. We got $3.00 off each fare with it. If it doesn't work, there are coupons also on line. Look on this board for West Coast departures and several people provide the link to the Coupons which are for $2.00 off the fare

I think you will like the Double Tree Inn it was probably one of the nicest hotels that we have stayed in for a while. We were there just before Christmas for the Diamond Princess's Hawaiian cruise. To us it was classic coastal California, we had a room over looking the marina and LA Yacht Club and just loved it.
Thanks for the thumbs up on Doubletree. Do you recommend any nearby placees to eat for dinner or breakfast in the morning before we board the ship?

Hey all!

There is a very extensive thread/link here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=602015

For the Doubletree in San Pedro. It would be really great if you would add your reviews and recommendations for that hotel in that thread.;)

Especially since people like Putterdude and Cruiserbryce have had good stays there.

This is all information and discussion that would be really helpful for people looking for Doubletree restaurant and hotel info on the Doubletree thread.

Thanks in advance.:cool:

And a big "You Are Welcome"! to all who have said "Thanks"!:D

• 2 weeks later...
We are using Supershuttle from LAX to San Pedro.I will let you know how it works out for us.

Wendy,

Did you make it back safely..or did you decide to stay on the ship?? :D

Just wondering how your trip went, and what you thought of the cruise, SuperShuttle experience, and hotel stay?

Any new HOT TIPS to share??

Let us know!

Thanks!

:)

• 1 month later...

That was my problem! I was always able to get Doubletree through Priceline from 2003-2006. Then Crowne Plaza bought Sheraton and suddenly it seems all the Priceline bids go to them. :( Wouldn't be so bad if they had the free parking like Doubletree! So, I just went ahead and booked the DT and will park free. It works out just a few dollars more than if I had won a bid for Crowne Plaza and had to pay for parking, there or at the port lot.

I too was wondering the same thing so I called both places. The Crown Plaza told me that I could park there for $10/day if there was space available. The Doubletree told me no problem with the parking & no charge. Now I just have to figure out how to bid Priceline to get the Doubletree!

Yes, the surrounding area is so much prettier around the Doubletree. You can take a stroll on the grounds or along the marina and down to the beach. Very pleasant. The shuttle was always available to take you within 5 miles. So if you want to eat at a certain restaurant or visit Ports O' Call, they will take you there and back. The parking lot is secure and large. I parked there for 11 nights while we were on a cruise and it was just fine.

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza last week and I would say that their rooms are a cut below those of the Double Tree Inn which is where we stayed in December. The CP is definately more centrally located, the staff very friendly, there is a Starbucks around the corner, they have at least 4 shuttle vans and buses and will take you anywhere within a 5 mile radius of the hotel. The DTI is not close to anything but they also will shuttle you almost anywhere but the big plus to us was the quality of the rooms and the classic California ambience of the hotel and its surroundings . If the rates are comparable we will definately go back to the DTI.

Archived