Travel Channel Reminder

You are right also!

I just feel like it's kind of a stereotype..but all stereotypes are built on some bit of truth!

That question is hilarious!!

I think that it's an accurate stereotype for cruise ship "tourists"...people like us would be more like cruise ship "travelers"...BIG difference.

Can't stand the host. If you are gonna host a show like this, you should at least learn how to pronounce Cannes.

I TOTALLY AGREE. The host was lame. Who is that guy and where did they dig him up from? I was wishing for that Samantha Brown back.

I just did that part of that itinerary 2 months ago, and I can't believe the Travel Channel made it look so boring and dull.

I TOTALLY AGREE. The host was lame. Who is that guy and where did they dig him up from? I was wishing for that Samantha Brown back.

I just did that part of that itinerary 2 months ago, and I can't believe the Travel Channel made it look so boring and dull.

I think they found him online, like I just did. He's a producer... http://www.colorearth.tv and his myspace page is http://www.myspace.com/shaneotravels

Apparently he shot and edited the show last night, too...tell Samantha Brown to do all that!

I think they need to bring back Samantha Brown to do the cruises on travel channel. I was really looking forward to this program,but I thought that guy was too smart alecky with all the tour guides he met- he treated each with disdain-I know they are still trying to figure out his 'jokes'... tasteless. Also he was pretty condescending towards 'people who cruise'- like he had been forced into it- ditto with the most popular tourist sites- duh- there's a reason those places are crowded- a LOT of people want to go there.... PLUS- he didn't really show much of the ship.

Bring back Samantha- or any of the Globe Trekker hosts- any one of them could have done a better job.

I think they found him online, like I just did. He's a producer... http://www.colorearth.tv and his myspace page is http://www.myspace.com/shaneotravels

Apparently he shot and edited the show last night, too...tell Samantha Brown to do all that!

He still needs to learn how to pronounce Cannes if he is gonna do a show there. I couldn't even watch the rest of the show after that. He bugged the crap out of me.

He still needs to learn how to pronounce Cannes if he is gonna do a show there. I couldn't even watch the rest of the show after that. He bugged the crap out of me.

I agree with you, but his pronunciation of Cannes wasn't wrong, it was an american pronunciation that I've commonly heard. I typically prefer the local pronunciation myself, but even I call it Rome, not Roma...even I call it Sicily, not sicilia...If that ruined the entire show for you that's a bummer, I'm just stoked that they went to major ports and did the "other stuff" that we don't usually get to see, that's MY kind of CRUISIN!! I assume that you just weren't the demographic they were shooting for.

I still liked it. I think the host was being what we'd expect a young punk to be. He was using tongue-in-cheek, poking fun at himself for being ignorant on how to pronounce "Cannes", trying Bruschetta, and sampling wine. I liked that he showed the less crowded places to see when in port.

Like others I thought it was just me as I didn't think much of the host, either. He wouldn't pronounce Cannes properly, and who happens upon a woman in a market in Palermo and then winds up having her show him around the town?

I agree they should find another host but not Samantha Brown. I think they should hire.......me!:D

I agree with you, but his pronunciation of Cannes wasn't wrong, it was an american pronunciation that I've commonly heard. I typically prefer the local pronunciation myself, but even I call it Rome, not Roma...even I call it Sicily, not sicilia...If that ruined the entire show for you that's a bummer, I'm just stoked that they went to major ports and did the "other stuff" that we don't usually get to see, that's MY kind of CRUISIN!! I assume that you just weren't the demographic they were shooting for.

Just because it is the American way of pronouncing Cannes does not make it the right way. It just makes another word butchered by the Americans.

Just because it is the American way of pronouncing Cannes does not make it the right way. It just makes another word butchered by the Americans.

Of course it does, but don't be so arrogant to say that you pronounce every international city according to the specific dialect...most american spellings of international cities are completely different, much less pronunciations. In any case, it was obviously mispronounced on purpose as a joke...whether it was funny or not should be the issue, but the fact that so many are upset simply by the fact it was was mispronounced, even on purpose, seems way over sensitive to me. In my opinion, the host was trying to see if "cruisers" would take offense or actually be able to laugh at themselves a little, obviously it's not the latter...

That reminds me "Great Cruises: Freedom of the Seas with Samantha Brown." Maybe I'm wrong, but I have always heard Montego Bay pronounced as Mon-tee-go Bay and I cringed every time I heard Samantha say Mon-tay-go Bay :p . Can somebody clear that one up for me? Mon-tee-go or Mon-tay-go :confused: ?

I still liked it. I think the host was being what we'd expect a young punk to be. He was using tongue-in-cheek, poking fun at himself for being ignorant on how to pronounce "Cannes", trying Bruschetta, and sampling wine. I liked that he showed the less crowded places to see when in port.

I agree! The show seemed to be aimed at helping the young "hip" crowd understand that cruising can be fun for EVERYONE.

The show just before (or was it after?) about cruising dos and don't was almost an infomercial for Disney, IMHO.

I found out that that particular cruise had to divert and never ported in Florence due to bad weather and rough seas. That's never happened on any of my cruises, thank god!!

I thought that might be the case.

When that happens--do you just stay out to sea on that day? You don't dock at the next port a day early do you?

Boy--people with Vatican reservations, and paid guided tours for Rome would be upset if they docked on the wrong date. Course, I am sure ...like me...wouldn't mind spending two days in Rome. There is enough there to see/visit...too much for just one day.:)

I'm glad that somebody else thought that the host did not do the ship or the ports justice. My DH and I are set to go on this cruise 10-08 and DH was a little hesitant after watching this show. I had to remind him that the host did out of the way excursions, and being our first trip to Europe, we will follow the normal tourist excursions.

Debbi

I have to turn the volume on the TV down for some sporting events, especially the Kentucky Derby. The sportscasters often pronounce Louisville, as Lueeville. It drives me crazy, I just cringe! But at least you can watch sports without the volume. If you live in KY long, you soon learn the proper way to say "Luavulle".

Sometimes a mispronunciation can really be distracting.

I have to turn the volume on the TV down for some sporting events, especially the Kentucky Derby. The sportscasters often pronounce Louisville, as Lueeville. It drives me crazy, I just cringe! But at least you can watch sports without the volume. If you live in KY long, you soon learn the proper way to say "Luavulle".

Sometimes a mispronunciation can really be distracting.

So true! I used to live in Lexington and learned the proper way to pronounce Louisville. :D Also learned that Versailles, KY, near Paris, KY, is pronounced "Ver-sales." ;)

If you live in KY long, you soon learn the proper way to say "Luavulle". Sometimes a mispronunciation can really be distracting.

You say, "Luavulle" and I salivate. Hot browns, Derby Pie, a Brat and some Moonlight BBQ. Not necessarily in that order. Sorry--off topic but come on...been gone 15 years and I can still taste those.

So true! I used to live in Lexington and learned the proper way to pronounce Louisville. :D Also learned that Versailles, KY, near Paris, KY, is pronounced "Ver-sales." ;)

And don't forget Athens, pronounced with a long A!:p I can only imagine what KY accents/dialects would do to Cannes. Say it correctly and we would be looking for a bunch of guys in orange jump suites! :eek:

You say, "Luavulle" and I salivate. Hot browns, Derby Pie, a Brat and some Moonlight BBQ. Not necessarily in that order. Sorry--off topic but come on...been gone 15 years and I can still taste those.

Just had a hot brown last week! Eat your heart out!!!

Archived