Public Bus Travel on Santorini

I will be on Santorini in mid October. There will be 3 ships in port that day. We'll be in port from 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., so I figure I'll get off the ship about 9:00 a.m. and return about 3:00 p.m.

How easy is it to travel to various villages by public bus--especially to Oia? Do ticket agents, bus drivers and others speak any English? Are signs in both Greek and English?

DH will be on the ship but is going to stay onboard while in Santorini since he's in a wheelchair and thankfully has been there before. So, I'll be off on my own for the day and probably just want to go to Oia for a few hours and return to Fira for a short time before taking the cable car back down to the port.

Thanks.

I will be on Santorini in mid October. There will be 3 ships in port that day. We'll be in port from 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., so I figure I'll get off the ship about 9:00 a.m. and return about 3:00 p.m.

How easy is it to travel to various villages by public bus--especially to Oia? Do ticket agents, bus drivers and others speak any English? Are signs in both Greek and English?

DH will be on the ship but is going to stay onboard while in Santorini since he's in a wheelchair and thankfully has been there before. So, I'll be off on my own for the day and probably just want to go to Oia for a few hours and return to Fira for a short time before taking the cable car back down to the port.

Thanks.

Very easy. The sign to the bus & taxi area says "bus" and "taxi". The bus drivers that I've found, same as all the shop owners, seem to speak English just fine.

See details in my thread about our visit to Santorini. (Click Here)

Very easy. The sign to the bus & taxi area says "bus" and "taxi". The bus drivers that I've found, same as all the shop owners, seem to speak English just fine.

See details in my thread about our visit to Santorini. (Click Here)

Thanks. That's just what I was hoping someone would tell me. I'll go look at your thread about your visit now.

Thanks.

I was in Santorini in June and my hotel was at Perissa Beach, which is about 20 minutes cab ride south of Fira.

The bus stops are easy to spot in Oia and Fira. But outside of those two towns? Good luck. They're tricky to spot and stops are infrequent. I suggest a taxi. The ride from Perissa to Fira was 10 euros. It may be alot for one person, but not so much for a party of 2+.

We took a bus to Oia -- it was easy to get assistance from the staff at teh bus stop. Returning we were in a bit of a time crunch so we elected to take a taxi. We approached another couple taking a taxi and split the cost with them. We tried to bargain but he knew we were in no position to do so -- it was either take his taxi or wait 20 minutes for the next bus. I think it was 15 euros for the 4 of us. The bus was (if I recall) slightly more than 1 euro per person.

Its easy,cheap and gives you a good view of the homes, countryside as you pass by. When you get to the top of the hill after leaving ship, turn to your right, walk past the large church, the street turns and you just walk down hill to the bottom and there is the station.

Archived