Just Back...Island Princess w/ Victoria pre-cruise and Seward post-cruise...FABULOUS!

UTVOLS

I just have to mention to you about the "secret" doors on the Caribe and Baja decks. They are used extensively on Panama Canal routes. I know this because I have been there twice so really they are not secret anymore. Hopefully other people will remember to go to those 'secret" doors whether they are in Alaska or Panama Canal. Enjoyed your review very much.

marilyn

CALMOM remember where these doors are! You are in charge....:)

Very few people were on the forward Baja and Caribe decks on our NB Coral sailing, so I think they are still a secret...at least in Alaska.

Granted they are not as known in Alaska but a few of my friends were on a cruise on the Coral to Alaska and they spent alot of time there without me telling them.

Marilyn

Exit Glacier and Hello Boot Camp!

The next morning, we had the complimentary breakfast at the HI Express, packed up our luggage, and headed out to Exit Glacier. Prior to hiking, we stopped in at the visitor’s center, chatted with the Rangers, and got our NP Passport stamped…(Fti…I’m all about those stamps…it stinks when you’ve been somewhere and you forget to drag that thing out of the backpack, though…have any tips on remembering or remedying once you forget?) .:rolleyes:

The closest hike out to the Exit Glacier was flooded and required boots or getting wet, so we opted for the overlook hike that was a bit longer. This had been our closest opportunity to get to a glacier by foot, and we were grateful that we did it. Such different perspective each time. We spent several hours at Exit Glacier. We respected the “Danger! Do not cross this Point” signs …(probably because they came with a $500 fine, if caught);) . Thank you to all on this board who recommended all of our hikes…We loved each one!

After Exit Glacier, we headed out for Anchorage because our flights left that evening. Ours at 8:30pm. My brother and SIL’s at 1:30 am. Along the way, we, again, began desperately seeking a moose….Here Moose! Here Moose….Come on Moose! I think I must have ‘cursed’ our merry band of travelers because (prior to our cruise)I replied to Mapsmith’s thread ‘Mapwife wants to see a moose’ that their best bet was probably checking the buffet on their cruise ship… Shame on me….and Mapsmith was about to get the last laugh!

Our only plans between Exit Glacier and Anchorage were getting from point A to point B in plenty of time not to miss our flights…and hopefully, seeing that dang moose along the way…By the time we got close to Portage, we had just about had it with moose hunting and then we SAW IT!

The sign to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center….There was squealing of tires and spinning of gravel as my Brother spun the vehicle around. We whipped out our Toursaver Coupon books, proudly paid our $7.50 per couple, and headed in there to SEE OUR MOOSE! My brother did make the comment that our ‘paying’ to see the moose would not leave the confines of our vehicle and that we would have to photo shop all fences out of the background of our pictures. And now I have divulged our secret….Sorry, Bro, but I can’t imagine anyone believing that we had gotten that close to a moose in the wilderness anyway! Now that I have seen a moose…I must say….They are pretty darn cute….but mighty hard to find. :cool:

By the time we got to Girdwood, we were STARVING, so we stopped at that gas station on the highway and grabbed every manner of snack food, hotdog, and drink possible and continued on to Anchorage. We arrived in Anchorage around 2 pm, went by the salmon bridge to watch the salmon running and to see folks trying to catch them, grabbed a coffee at Kaladi Brothers, and purchased a few last minutes souvenirs downtown. We grabbed dinner at the Sourdough Gold Mine Restaurant and headed to the airport. Checked in with no problem, with all of our bags not exceeding the weight limit…mailed my one last postcard from the airport, with a ‘snowflake’ stamp that the lady behind the information desk gave me out of her own purse, and headed to our gate for an on time departure…

Snowflake stamp…on time departure….it’s the little things in life to be grateful for, isn’t it?:)

Some may find a few of my following remarks to be offensive…be please do not take them as such ….

As we were waiting in line to go through Security and as we waited to board our flight, I was struck by the number of people who looked as though they had not had a shower in weeks…Full beards, interesting smells, matted hair…There were others with their dressed up dogs and designer handbags and everything in between, but they all had the same look on their faces……They were peaceful, happy people…. They were folks from all different lifestyles who looked as though they had accomplished a dream of a lifetime and had seen some of the most amazing sights one could behold. Folks like ourselves who would never forget their journey to a beautiful, incredible land.

Thank you to all the generous CC'ers, who patiently answered our silly questions, graciously held our hands through the difficult decisions, and to all of the CC'ers who hail from Alaska, the Yukon, Victoria, and Vancouver who shared their UNBELIEVABLE lands with us....

and Now it's back to BOOTCAMP...and my 3 precious children who are the real 'Wild'life around here...:)

hmmmm....or maybe I'll just plan another trip to Alaska.....;)

and Now it's back to BOOTCAMP...and my 3 precious children who are the real 'Wild'life around here...:)

hmmmm....or maybe I'll just plan another trip to Alaska.....;)

Take me, take me!!!! Actually -I'm wondering if my son would like to spend his 18th birthday on an Alaskan cruise with his mom? I'll ask him when he gets off work in a few hours. :)

FABULOUS trip report, Deb!!!

I always wear orange. I'm constantly surprised by the sheer number of VOL fans we meet all over the world. I ussually cruise during a bye week, but this year my DW has a wedding to go to in Vancouver (she's from Vancouver), so we'll combining the wedding with the cruise. I'll miss the opening game (first one missed since 1981) but I guess I'll live.

If I'm confused for you...I'll sing a few verses of Rocky Top and I'm sure they'll let us pass.....if for no other reason than to get away from us!:p It's worked before.

O.K. dumb question, what is VOL?

O.K. dumb question, what is VOL?

I should allow the OP to answer...but...

VOL is short for VOLUNTEER. The nickname of the best football program in the country and absolutely the best place to watch a college football game.

The name was penned when during the Spanish and American War a call was sent out for volunteers and almost every elgible man in the state enlisted. Coincidently my ancestor James Lauderdale (a neighbor to Andrew Jackson) was the last man killed at the Battle of New Orleans delivering the news of the victory to Jackson. Counties in Tennessee and Alabama are named in his honor. His brother William lauderdale was in charge of a garrison on the James River in Florida when he passed away. The garrison was named in his honor and is known as Fort lauderdale today.

Tennessee has led the way in volunteers during every conflict in this nations history since the state's inception.

You asked.....:) and you owe me a beer , that was a lot of typing

I just have to mention to you about the "secret" doors on the Caribe and Baja decks. They are used extensively on Panama Canal routes. I know this because I have been there twice so really they are not secret anymore. Hopefully other people will remember to go to those 'secret" doors whether they are in Alaska or Panama Canal. Enjoyed your review very much.

marilyn

We were "up front" on the Baja deck on the Island for our recent cruise. There were at least 20 people out there, so the word is definitely out.

Take me, take me!!!! Actually -I'm wondering if my son would like to spend his 18th birthday on an Alaskan cruise with his mom? I'll ask him when he gets off work in a few hours. :)

FABULOUS trip report, Deb!!!

Well, he will have a wonderful tour guide....:D

and your planning is already done!

I say GO FOR IT!

Thanks again for all of your help.:p

Absolutely the best review I've ever read on CC...thank you...

By the way, there is a mouse at the Bass Pro Shops @ the Sevierville exit on I40...

Ah! Shucks....You keep talking like that and people will start thinking you're a relative:cool: . Honestly, I think you're just reading through Orange colored glasses.

A mouse, you say?

UTVOLS, loved the reviews. Thanks alot Planning a cruise for next year. This was really helpfull. Again thanks.

jim

It has been my pleasure.

Have a most wonderful time planning for your cruise and a more wonderful time doing it!:)

VOL is short for VOLUNTEER. The nickname of the best football program in the country and absolutely the best place to watch a college football game.

The name was penned when during the Spanish and American War a call was sent out for volunteers and almost every elgible man in the state enlisted. Coincidently my ancestor James Lauderdale (a neighbor to Andrew Jackson) was the last man killed at the Battle of New Orleans delivering the news of the victory to Jackson. Counties in Tennessee and Alabama are named in his honor. His brother William lauderdale was in charge of a garrison on the James River in Florida when he passed away. The garrison was named in his honor and is known as Fort lauderdale today.

Tennessee has led the way in volunteers during every conflict in this nations history since the state's inception.

Thank you jstringers....

Your answer was far superior to what I would have given and I don't have any famous relatives, but I'll sure VOLUNTEER to go back to Alaska!

Reckon these fine folks have heard the name Peyton Manning...?

Sorry we are not on the 9/03 sailing but then it would be over that much sooner! We have a group from Knoxville on this sailing! Bon Voyage!

Will you being wearing any UT apparel?

Well, he will have a wonderful tour guide....:D

and your planning is already done!

I say GO FOR IT!

Thanks again for all of your help.:p

I asked my son if he wanted to cruise to Alaska...and he turned me down. He said he might be interested when he is old...like me! :rolleyes: However, he did offer to go to Hawaii or the Mediterranean, if invited!

You asked.....:) and you owe me a beer , that was a lot of typing

O.K., I guess all I had to do was ask my DH, who is a football fanantic. He knew right away about your Tennessee Volunteers. MY DH says "Your hero finally made it to the superbowl and won", he said you should of kept him at Tennessee, to win more National Championships". O.K. you two can have a debate on the ship because I do not know a single thing about football or what I am typing. DH will be wearing bright orange too because he is a huge Denver Bronco fan.

Yes, I owe you a beer or two:D

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for typing the above, take it up with my DH.

Thank you jstringers....

Your answer was far superior to what I would have given and I don't have any famous relatives, but I'll sure VOLUNTEER to go back to Alaska!

Reckon these fine folks have heard the name Peyton Manning...?

San Diego has such a soft spot for his brother, Eli:eek:

Archived