Galaxy – July 2, 2007 – Port Review -- Part 5, Athens

Cast of Characters: Me, my husband (mid 40’s) and our two teenaged daughters (17 & 14); traveling with several other families, including my parents (mid 60’s) and many teenagers.

Athens: 6 Hour Walking Tour with Athens Walking Tours

We walked from the pier to the metro station in Piraeus. It is about a 30 minute walk on sidewalks and city streets. The train is clean and efficient.

We met Despina Savvidou, owner of Athens Walking Tours at the Syntagma Metro Station to begin our walking tour. She was very pleasant, very informative and very enthusiastic about her city. We saw all of the major sights. She gave an excellent tour and I would not hesitate to use her again if I were staying in Athens for a few days. However, due to the heat and how far into our cruise we were by the time we reached Athens, if I had to do it again, I would probably hire an air-conditioned van & driver for the day to pick us up in Piraeus and take us to all of the sights. Some others in our group hired Paul from Greek Taxi. They loved their experience, saw everything we saw and had time for a leisurely lunch in Plaka and shopping, too.

Athens was probably the least favorite of the ports we went to for most in the group (except my 14 year old daughter, who absolutely loved it!). My husband says he’s been there, done that and doesn’t need to return. I wouldn’t mind going back one day . . .

Archived