Day Trip Rome to Florence

Has anyone done a day trip from Rome to Florence and back? We'll be in Rome 4 days, and I've notice there are high speed trains that would get us to Florence where we could stay about 6 hours and then return. Has anyone done this or something similar? Thanks.

Hi yes me and mom did this exact trip 2 yrs ago. We took the 7 ish eurostar train from Rome to Florence. we had prebooked to see david and spent the day sight seeing and shopping. Then we took a 5 ish train back to Rome. It takes about 1 hour and 40 minutes. It is a littel rushed but it was a fun day. We were spending a week in Rome at the time. I would prebook your train tickets in first class so you have assigned seats. It was very easy to do. Let me know if you need more info. Jen

No, I haven't done that. But, it simply isn't my style fo travel. I tend to "park" in a city for an extended period of time. I have certainly taken the train between these two cities many times.

If you decide to do this, get train (and seat) reservations in advance. Depending on the day of the week, time of the year, etc. the trains vary from plenty of space to overpacked.

If you are getting your train reservations in Europe, get them from a travel agency. Every TA I've seen in Italy sells them (and TAs in other countries can get themf or youo also). If Italy, the TA will have a decal on its dorr or window showing a stylized "FS" which is the logo of the train company. This beats the heck out of standing in line at the train station.

You can buy tickets in advance trhrough http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html (the offical site). I think tickets/seat reservations are available 60 days (90?) in advance.

There really is not much point in paying extra for 1st class. It really isn't all that much better -- it is less crowded, usually.

Paul

I did this in September. I did not buy my tickets on line at the link the person gave you above, but they say that is easy. I went the day before to the American Express Travel office around the corner from the Spanish Steps (looking at the steps, walk to the right and it is on the corner on your left) the day before we went. We went 2nd class and were given specific seats (I think you always get specific seats).

Either way is easy. We took an early train (about 8:30) and returned on the train about 9pm. It gives you enough time in Florence and we had dinner there too!

I plan on doing this day trip the first of Oct. I have done the research but have not yet scheduled I intend to hire the company below for the full day walking tour. I've confirmed with them I can do the 7:30 fast train from Rome, arrive at 9:06, I think, and walk to their close by office before the tour departs at 9:45. They get the passes to the places we want to see and do it all in about 6 hours. See the web site for details, Frommer's and Rick Steve's recommend. I like the fact they attend to the details, I just show up with cash :) Good luck and have a good trip.

http://www.italy.artviva.com/

Thanks for all the replies. What I did not mention in my first post was that DH will be in a wheelchair. Information I have is that we can reserve handicap accessible seats on the train. My thought is to take a taxi from the train to the Uffizi and stay a few hours with lunch somewhere in the mix. I know this won't allow adequate time to see much, but it's better than nothing and who knows when I'll be in the area again.

lushy 13, where and how did you prebook to see David? Seeing David would be my #1 priority.

Thanks for all the replies. What I did not mention in my first post was that DH will be in a wheelchair. Information I have is that we can reserve handicap accessible seats on the train. My thought is to take a taxi from the train to the Uffizi and stay a few hours with lunch somewhere in the mix. I know this won't allow adequate time to see much, but it's better than nothing and who knows when I'll be in the area again.

lushy 13, where and how did you prebook to see David? Seeing David would be my #1 priority.

The phone number is 011-39-055-294-883. The service charge is 3 euros per ticket.

You can use this number to phone ahead and prebook tickets for both the Uffizi and the Accademia. When you call you have the option to select English. From that point it is quite easy and is cheaper than the online sites that offer the service.

You will have to choose a time, not just a date. They will hold the tickets for you and you will pick them up when you get there. You do not have to prepay.

Archived