Smart Casual Question

Solida123

My fiancee has several outfits that are trendy halter/strapless tops, most of which are designer (i.e., Victoria Secret) and usually combines these with khaki-type capris with heeled shoes. I am an attorney, and my female colleagues wouldn't think twice about dressing the same way at a casual law-related function.

Do I have any reason to fear that we will be denied access to the dining room if she is wearing such attire?

My fiancee has several outfits that are trendy halter/strapless tops, most of which are designer (i.e., Victoria Secret) and usually combines these with khaki-type capris with heeled shoes. I am an attorney, and my female colleagues wouldn't think twice about dressing the same way at a casual law-related function.

Do I have any reason to fear that we will be denied access to the dining room if she is wearing such attire?

Well, there are halter tops (conservative) and there are halter tops. You know your fiance better than anyone on this board. Will she be denied entry into one of the main dining rooms? Probably not, BUT, there are times when the maitre'd is in one of those picky moods and could decide to enforce the suggested dress code.

http://www.princess.com/answer/bring.html

ONBOARD ATTIRE

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you're dining onboard. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual Evenings:

Passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

• Pants and open-neck shirts for men

In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts, halter tops, and jeans are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times. Formal Evenings:

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies

• Tuxedo, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for men

I've been corrected by me fiance as to what we mean by a halter top: we're talking about a strap going around the back of the neck that then joins the rest of the top. I "think" Princess may be banning what we call in the Midwestern US a "tube top"? Maybe? Let me put it this way: many "gowns" and "cocktail dresses" have this kind of strapping. Just wanting to make sure we aren't banished to the buffet line! :)

I wear halter tops (kind of dressy) or nice tank tops, and even some sleeveless tops into the dining room for dinner all the time. I think as long as it does not look "trashy" it will be fine. I have never been turned away from the dining room before.

Based on what I just saw last week on the CB, she won't have any problems. Men were wearing jeans and women capris, bermuda shorts etc....

Interesting...considering the week before, they were strictly enforcing the dress code for dinner.

Strapless dresses are fine ! I think tube tops went out when there was a malfunction on the Price is Right :D !!!

You'd be surprised. They're around.

As long as they're not the trashy "tube top" kind that's not more than a bikinin top, your fiancee likely won't get stopped. Even picker maitre d's are likely to let her go, even if they stop people in jeans.

From what I've seen, women get stopped less than men because their violations usually aren't quite as bad. Princess is basically trying to keep their dining rooms "classy" and upscale. A lax maitre d will likely let you go, even if jeans, as long as you look presentable. However, come in ripped and dirty jeans and even that lax maitre d is likely to stop you.

And I have seen some pretty trashy clothing on cruises. I just haven't seen any of the really bad stuff attempt to enter the dining room. The worst I've seen was on my last cruise on formal nite. Old Indian guy was wearing a shiny (silk?) purple shirt that looked like what you wear to a night club. Yeah, it didn't follow the dress code, but the thing that actually bothered me was that he had it unbuttoned down nearly to his navel. Regardless of everyone else being especially dressed up that day, I don't want to see hairy old guy chest and hair during dinner.

Archived