Passport question

Sleddogs

We will be cruising Northern Europe next year and will need to get passports. Someone told me that the the cruise lines holds your passport until the end of the cruise. Is this true?

This is new to us so any info is appreciated.

Thanks! Sleddogs

Carnival Fascination 8/00 (Southern Carib)25th Anniversary

Norwegian Sky 8/01 (Alaska) Enchantment of the Seas 8/02 (Western Carib)

Carnival Destiny Family Cruise 8/10/03 (Southern Caribbean)

Celebrity Summit 12 night Alaska cruise tour 8/2004

Jewel of the Seas 12 night British Isles/Norwegian Fjords 7/2005~~30th Anniversary

Yes they will hold your passport as immigration in certain ports may wish to come on board and inspect the documents and having all 2000 passengers line up at each port would be crazy. If you go to Russia, they will return your passport the night before as you need to show your passport (and Visa or tour ticket)to Russian immigration everytime you leave the ship.

It is a normal practive, in much of the world, to have your passports held. Like Mike said, its a good idea to make a few copies of the main page of your passport and always carry a copy. Personally, I prefer leaving my passport locked on the ship, in a hotel safe, etc. Having your passport stolen (or lost) is a royal pain in the behind and can easily cost you a full day (or two) to get a replacement.

Hank

I will definitely make copies. I like to know what to expect ahead of time so there are no surprises.

We are not going to Russia, but we will visit Ireland, Scotland, Norway, Amsterdam, etc.

Thanks to all who answered my question. Happy Cruising!

Sleddogs

Jewel of the Seas 12 night British Isles/Norwegian Fjords 7/2005~~30th Anniversary

Thanks Vegas Jim, that's good to know. At least we'll be prepared one way or the other.

By the way, hubby and I love Las Vegas. We fly out with our friends at least once a year. Heard that the Bellagio lost all of it's power last night! Feel bad for the guests and staff as well. Can't have been much fun.

Happy Cruising! Sleddogs

Hope you come back soon! Yes, the Bellagio was without power all day today, and it likely won't be back on until Tuesday morning. They had to replace feeder lines underground. They'll then have to reboot all hotel systems from scratch. Can't be fun for the staff, either! icon_eek.gif Guests had to be relocated to other properties. Never had that happen before.

Be sure to check the ports of call section of Cruise Critic. Lots of great info there on the ports you'll visit.

'Vegas Jim

Archived