Staff onboard

cruiseyfloosey

and the famed Sheila who I beleive has retired last Nov. after many years of service. A stewardess beyond compare who will be missed on every voyage, it will not be the same without her.

Ah yes - the famed Sheila, one of the 'Old School' who always put the passengers wishes first, and any "silly Cunard rules" second, (such as morning coffee served in your room on embarkation day so she served it as a night steward before 7.00 am).

When we came up the stairs to Signal Deck at the end of the evening, she would see us as we passed the Butlers' Pantry, and immediately bring along our usual night time drinks and usually join us for a late night chat. She always had many interesting stories to tell, but was never indiscreet, and always had the utmost respesct for her passengers. I too have partaken of her hot toddy (non alcaholic!) when I had a cold, and it seemed to work!!!!

As previously said she ran the ship at night and one suspects had a lot of influence during the day as well. Wouldn't it be good if Cunard could bring her out of retirement to sort out some of the ills of QM2 then it would be a ship to be proud of. (I know Matthew had praise for his crossing on QM2 but I beleive that if he had been on a cruise, his views may well have been very different)

We were looked after by Gordon on many occaisions and the fact that he was a 'proper' gentleman's butler before joining Cunard was very clear to see. Quite different to the promoted Stewards one is apt to get now, and, for that reason was well respected by all who met him.

Someone told me that Sheila was thinking of writing a book about her life at sea, if anybody hears anything about this could you let us know. (Maybe Matthew could find something out on his next QE2 trip).

I think now that the news of QE2 going has finally hit us, we are all starting to think back to days that can never be repeated. When we recall those happy gracious times, and compare that to how we are now discussing jeans, T-shirts, baseball caps, football shirts and shorts in dining rooms, all of which I have seen on QM2, we realise how quickly things are changing - and not always for the better!

David

P.S. Just remembered how, without Sheila, we managed to get coffee on the final morning, so thought that I would pass it on: -

How to get Embarkation Day Early Morning Coffee on QM2

As the Room Service coffee on QM2 is brought in a stainless steel vacuum jug, order coffee before retiring for the night. Check that the screw stopper is fully screwed down before retiring, and put the jug of milk in your fridge. In the morning, the coffee will still be hot, and you can then enjoy a cup the minute that you wake.

(I know Matthew had praise for his crossing on QM2 but I beleive that if he had been on a cruise, his views may well have been very different)

I can, of course, only speak as I find.

I recall saying that I think she's a ship for crossing, not cruising, and nothing I have heard or read suggests that my view ought to be modified. I'm sure one day I'll cruise on her, if only because Kirsten has an idea that she might like to visit the Caribbean, but my instinct is that Victoria might well make a better cruise ship. I should say at once that my instinct used to be that the QM2 wasn't worth spending money on, and I've eaten my humble pie on that one. I could be just as wrong on this......

What I do seem to understand, from all the postings here, is that crossings are more formal than cruises, and Caribbean cruises much less formal than more northern cruises.

I didn't feel the QM2 was as formal as QE2, and (to be frank) find the QE2 more formal on a cruise than QM2 on a crossing. But I've always had "the right sort" on my tables, and can cope with a few who aren't "the right sort" cluttering up the place. I notice, regret, then concentrate on what matters.

Matthew

I can, of course, only speak as I find.

I recall saying that I think she's a ship for crossing, not cruising, and nothing I have heard or read suggests that my view ought to be modified. I'm sure one day I'll cruise on her, if only because Kirsten has an idea that she might like to visit the Caribbean, but my instinct is that Victoria might well make a better cruise ship. I should say at once that my instinct used to be that the QM2 wasn't worth spending money on, and I've eaten my humble pie on that one. I could be just as wrong on this......

What I do seem to understand, from all the postings here, is that crossings are more formal than cruises, and Caribbean cruises much less formal than more northern cruises.

Matthew

And I have had the privilege of cruising on her and have to say that my entire Caribbean cruise experience was stellar...there was nothing I could fault (except those scrambled eggs!!) Service was exemplary everywhere I went on the ship...every staff member, no matter the job was pleasant and professional....food was excellent in Britannia and fine in Kings Court which honestly surprised me. On the nights that were formal, so too were my fellow passengers, long gowns and tuxes were vastly in the majority...on the other nights I honestly never noticed anything but well dressed people everywhere we wandered. I felt the tone set by the ship was mirrored in her passengers.

Not having taken a TA on her I can't compare...only speak to my own experience which exceeded my expectations. Can't wait for Nov to arrive...

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

The onboard accounts (for U.K. guests - I guess it works the same for U.S) don't get sent back to the shore side offices until after the cruise has finished - so the financial department shoreside don't monitor the spending. I can't imagine that ship staff would monitor it either - you can pre authorise an amount to a credit card, to prove that there is enough money available.

We don't keep a record of difficult guests as we deal with so many people. Some of them do stick in the mind for being difficult, or rude or demanding but apart from discussing them amoungst ourselves, we preety much just move onto the next call.

:-)

The E801 running from 16 December to 6 Jan 2008 has this....

18th December - Black & White Ball

22 December - Buccaneer Ball

25 December - Xmas Ball

31 December - NY Masquarade Ball

Don't have any information for 2008 as yet. But at least you know that you will need a parot and a wooden leg for your trip.

:-) Have fun!

Hi Cruiseyfloosy

Glad to see you are still with us, another poster claiming to be a member of staff soon vanished!.

What are your thoughts on the upgrade system (if there is one) is it really just pot luck if the fairy comes along and gently taps you from behind:eek:

What about an insight into Cunard Towers? ie how many people work there, are a large team devoted to reservations?how many brochures do Cunard print? all that kind of thing? why not suggest a behind the scenes tour at Cunard for the Cunarder magazine?

cheers

Myles

PS dare you give us your own view(s) about THE sale?;)

Hello again

Love the suggestion about putting an article about Cunard resrevations in the Cunarder - I have put this to my manager. I think this is a great idea as it puts a 'human face' to the booking process.

I have now joined the focus group to help with the internal internet and will be gathering information from this forum to put forward suggestions as to what information we need. So far the big points seem to be World Club and dress code information. (First meeting in September)

I have given my manager a brief outline of my postings here, just to make sure that Im not overstepping the boundries, but I hope not to disappear soon. I have managed to answer a few things on other threads but I can really only answer fact based questions and not voice my opinion as this could get me into trouble. The impression I have got is that a lot of you don't trust the information which reservations give you and I don't want to make this worse by incorrected answering questions asked within this forum.

Anyway, am now off to serach the site and see if there is anything I can answer today.

Thanks for posting - I have always found UK reservations helpful, but US reservations variable (both extremes of great professionalism to complete cluelessness) - does the UK have dedicated 'Cunard' reservations staff and the US staff shared with Princess?

Peter

The impression I have got is that a lot of you don't trust the information which reservations give you and I don't want to make this worse by incorrected answering questions asked within this forum.

I've never spoken to the US reservations, but the UK res agents seem clueless to me! (they're not as bad as the Pursers Office on the QE2 though!)

Hello again

Love the suggestion about putting an article about Cunard resrevations in the Cunarder - I have put this to my manager. I think this is a great idea as it puts a 'human face' to the booking process.

Any idea of when the next issue is due out? it does tend to appear as and when kind of thing, and the they seem to be pitched a bit to much on the sales side and not enought news?

As for the reservations side never had any problems there, but the Pursers staff onboard are are different matter.

Im sure we all look for your comments as and when you can!

cheers

Myles

:D Welcome to Cruise Critic CF. I'll put in my three cheers for Jason the barwaiter from Manila on the QM2...he's a terrific worker and very intelligent, always wanting to make a better place in the world.

Hello again

I have now joined the focus group to help with the internal internet and will be gathering information from this forum to put forward suggestions as to what information we need. So far the big points seem to be World Club and dress code information. (First meeting in September)

I have given my manager a brief outline of my postings here, just to make sure that Im not overstepping the boundries, but I hope not to disappear soon. I have managed to answer a few things on other threads but I can really only answer fact based questions and not voice my opinion as this could get me into trouble. The impression I have got is that a lot of you don't trust the information which reservations give you and I don't want to make this worse by incorrected answering questions asked within this forum.

Anyway, am now off to serach the site and see if there is anything I can answer today.

Thanks so much for your posts, CF. So glad that your manager is agreeable. We are all eager to get as much information as possible before our cruises.

Many of us have been given incorrect information from calling Cunard. You can always get dress code information before your cruise. However, often what you are told over the phone or what is printed in your documents is NOT what you find when you board the ship. As most of us have to fly to the ship, the airline luggage restrictions make packing more difficult. If we know what to expect as far as dress code on our sailling, it makes our experience onboard much more pleasant.

Again, thank you for your interest in our concerns. Stop by often.

Beth

Hello again

cf,

I think it would be wonderful (at least from my perspective) to see profiles of "the invisible people" whether they are res agents, the dishwasher, the guys who do the constant maintenance on the ship while underway. What their job is like- either res- making plans for other people's cruises, when they aren't going on one, or maybe have never been, and dealing with all sorts of people (odd requests, sentimental ones, too) what it is like to do a dirty hot tiring job on a ship in all sorts of weather, (and while surrounded by opulence, luxury and people having fun) what their backgrounds are- family at home, what it is like working 6 month or 9 month contracts- This might include the "nicer" public positions, too, like entertainers, cruise directors and such. Of course we have had stuff on Thomas in Cunarder a few issues back, and I read a pretty good profile of Ray Rouse and his wife. not sure if it was while on board (the daily Programme) or where, but interesting.

Some may not want "the magic" spoiled by learning of the ordinary people who make the magic happen, but I think people in all walks of life are fascinating! I would love to read a short article on that!

Karie,

who often engages people, even, or especially, service people about their lives. I want them to know that I think their lives are just as important as anyones, even if iat times, the don't get treated that way.

Archived