Is sharing a soda card stealing?

Podorama

Why is that different than taking a 20oz Coke and putting it in your pocket in a convenience store and walking out with it? When you are arrested do you say it was only a soda you can't arrest me for stealing? :rolleyes:

Fine, then if I use LESS then what Carnival has figured in to the price they charge then I am due a refund.

Be very careful, if you suggest that if I take advantage of a situation it is stealing but if Carnival does it is not stealing.......

i didnt know drinking and driving and killing someone had to deal with "stealing" soda...:rolleyes:

It might be a bit much but the intent is still the same that stealing is stealing no matter how little or how much it costs. just like being a little over the legal limit is still over the legal limit.

am i taking something on a cruise ship and putting it in my pocket?? .. i believe not... im SHARING with my fellow aquaintance....its not nessarily stealing.. i can see it being cheap though.......

look its my opinion... i dont even drink soda.. but say my boyfriend has a card.. i didnt because i rarely drink soda... and i felt like having one... id say " babe can u get me a soda please" ..... is that really that serious like you guys are making it out to be??

I guess it all depends upon your upbringing and morals - If it were me I wouldn't consider doing it but everyone is different.

Carnival offers a product and limits it's use to the person who purchased it. When someone else uses that product then IMHO it would be the same as taking one from a store who is offering that same product.

The same arguments can be made about one person paying for a buffet meal and their aquaintance who didn't pay sharing from their plate.

The OP asked a very opinion driven question and has received very opinionated answers. Some see it as a black and white or good and bad situation and others consider it to be a gray area.

Because she is not taking or stealing. Her boyfriend bought a soda with his card and he offered it to her. She accepted. Bought by the card holder, permission granted from the card holder. Accepted and drank.

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP :D

its called being smart and generous hunnie not the way you were brought up LOL .... (not for you kurban=)

If Carnival or any other line does not make enough money on the cost of room and board they need to up what they charge. To expect to make the money up from me buying extras or create a situation that forces me to do such is foolish.

Welcome to Cruising! That is the business model of most cruise lines. The cost of cruising has basically gone down from years ago. Allowing people to buy what they want makes a lot of sense to me. Why should I subsides what others use, but I could careless about?

Is sharing a soda card stealing?

Anyone with more than a single brain cell absolutely KNOWS it IS stealing.

It is exactly the same as telling the checkout person in a store to add a candy bar to your bill, then putting 2 candy bars in your pocket. And that is stealing.

If your honesty is worth less than the price of a few cokes, go ahead.

Dan

Fine, then if I use LESS then what Carnival has figured in to the price they charge then I am due a refund.

Be very careful, if you suggest that if I take advantage of a situation it is stealing but if Carnival does it is not stealing.......

Are you Kidding?, Carnival is offering you an option- You can pay a set amount and drink as much sodas as you want. I think that's a pretty good deal.

Or you can pay set price for each soda you drink

That is what they offer. It doesn't matter if you think it's fair or not. They set the rules and you need to obey the rules

T

i dont draw the line....i really dont think sharing your soda card is that big of a deal- ...

i even did it for people that werent in all inclusive at my resort in cancun- I got them drinks all the time...

u get caught oh well say sorry and act dumb like you didnt realize.....

That is called DISHONEST and it also IS stealing.

Wow.

Dan

Where is the amount figured published? You buy an unlimited amount of a product for a set amount of time. No one is forcing the purchase of the item therefore how can Carnival be taking advantage of the person who purchased it? You choose to buy the package. If you make a bad decision and purchase something with a time limit and don't use it then it is no ones fault but your own.

I can see that argument being made if unlimited sodas were made a part of the cruise package and you paid $30 for it and you don't consume sodas at all but not in this case. You can drink 40 gallons of it if you want so if you choose to drink only 3 glasses then that is your problem. You should have been more aware of your soda intake before making that purchase.

Is there any chance that the peeps that condone this are the ones that end up with the extra Camcorder or Camera in their bag without any guilt? Quite Possibly. Fits the profile.

T

TOLD YA!!!! Did I not call this one:D :D

Thanks for prooving my point;)

Sorry, I disagree. It is *NOT* stealing. it is cheating. And it is still wrong.

However, you people may want to delude yourselves, the program is set up as a per person beverage option. You may want to split hairs on legalese and say that it doesn't explicitly bar the person whose name is on the card from sharing with another guest, but that is just bending the rules. And when enough people do that, the rules have to be changed and get harder or make things difficult for the majority. A few rule benders have a way of ruining things for everyone else because they feel they are more important than the rules.

urbabie2, despite your contention that it is "just soda", it is exactly the same idea as a buffet. You pay for a buffet per person because the business caters to an averaging system to set their prices. They set their prices based on per person models, not on sharing. If the person whose name is not on the card wants to get a soda, then buy it on your S&S card. A soda is only $1.50, why cheat the system for one? I can understand not getting a card because you won't drink enough. When we sailed, DW got one, I did not. And I either drank something free or bought a drink.

Is there any chance that the peeps that condone this are the ones that end up with the extra Camcorder or Camera in their bag without any guilt? Quite Possibly. Fits the profile.

T

Unless you're being funny, that is a completely inane statement.

Are you Kidding?, Carnival is offering you an option- You can pay a set amount and drink as much sodas as you want. I think that's a pretty good deal.

Or you can pay set price for each soda you drink

That is what they offer. It doesn't matter if you think it's fair or not. They set the rules and you need to obey the rules

T

NO, I pay a price to have as much as I want.(although only one serving per redemption) What I do with the product after it is turned over to me is MY business.

Option, let's see, the card is costly, the process to use the card is difficult, (Can't use it at several of the bars or with room service) the amount of product you get each time is small, (less then a can of soda, perhaps a half can at best) the reality for Carnival is not so much profits on the selling of soda, (which is pretty darn good I suspect) but it is TIP generation for the employees. The more money to the employees via tip generation the less of a wage that needs to be paid.

Hey! What of making kids go to a BAR to get their soda.. is that not immoral?

So I guess packing sodas in luggage and bringing them onboard is stealing as well :-)

TOLD YA!!!! Did I not call this one:D :D

Thanks for prooving my point;)

I'm Sorry but I believe stealing is stealing, If you don't, that's your decision. I'm not gonna yell at you about that. You have to live with yourself, and so do I. I sleep well at night. I hope you do too.

T

I'm Sorry but I believe stealing is stealing, If you don't, that's your decision. I'm not gonna yell at you about that. You have to live with yourself, and so do I. I sleep well at night. I hope you do too.

T

So, are you saying stealing is Never justified?? Hmmmmmm.....

So I guess packing sodas in luggage and bringing them onboard is stealing as well :-)

No, Carnival allows you to do just that.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Liquor_and_Beverage_Consumption_Policy.aspx

Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages.

All alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation.

T

So if people who "steal" soda are the same as people who steal a cam-corder... What about people who make inane rude statemets such as the one I quoted above? I am sure there is a word for what they are..........

Just least anyone thinks I start a thread and then run......

The rules as I read them say only the person who name is on the card may use the card. It does not say what one can do with the product that the card entites you too after one obtains that product. If Carnival does not want people to share, then they should put such in the TOS.

That means only the purchaser may use and enjoy the fruits of the card

By the way, the Photography thing is not joke. I am serious. The whole point of view be it , soda card, smuggling booze etc is stealing (so some say) because of a loss of profits is assinine. (The If I am bring in my own booze I am not buying booze onboard thus stealing profits argument)

No comment

Thus, again with that mindset taking any Pics that a ship board photog can reasonably take is the exact same thing. If I am taking my own pics of friends and family (lets say in the dinning room on formal night) vs buying the ones the ship photog takes, it is the same loss of profit.

Doing your own photography is your choice. Deciding not to buy the professionally shot and developed pics is also fine. Pocketing those photos without paying for them would be stealing

Personnaly I think the whole soda card thing is a rip off. The markup is very high, (perhaps a 500%+) and the hassle to even use it is a pain. (they make it difficult to ensure you do not use it much)

Then you have the option of not purchasing the card. You do not have the option of buying one card and "stealing" another card. Which is what sharing/stealing is.

By the way I do not agree that denying profits is the same as out and out stealing.

When someone robs a gas station of their cash, they are denying the merchant of his profits. Anybody should understand that.

I do take on a bit of booze on 8+ day cruises. I don't buy a soda card, (will buy a can here and there) I'll also "steal" chairs people hog.

That is not stealing

However, I do return items found to the purser or lost and found... so there!

Like what, for instance?

If Carnival or any other line does not make enough money on the cost of room and board they need to up what they charge. To expect to make the money up from me buying extras or create a situation that forces me to do such is foolish.

When a store runs a sale, what do you think they are doing? Being foolish?

Dan

NO, I pay a price to have as much as I want.(although only one serving per redemption) What I do with the product after it is turned over to me is MY business.

Option, let's see, the card is costly, the process to use the card is difficult, (Can't use it at several of the bars or with room service) the amount of product you get each time is small, (less then a can of soda, perhaps a half can at best) the reality for Carnival is not so much profits on the selling of soda, (which is pretty darn good I suspect) but it is TIP generation for the employees. The more money to the employees via tip generation the less of a wage that needs to be paid.

Hey! What of making kids go to a BAR to get their soda.. is that not immoral?

Semantics. The obvious intent of the rule is that the person whose name on the card is the consumer of the product. Do you think they just created the part about only the guest whose name is on the card is just a random hoop to jump through? If you want to be obtuse and ignore the intent, then you're trying to argue with breaking the rules.

And sodas retrieved on the soda card do *NOT* get charge extra gratuity. The gratuity is already included when you purchase the card. You do not need to tip any extra to anyone that serves you sodas on the soda card including the bar server in the DR when they bring you sodas from the bar. You are playing semantics to get around the spirit of the law (or in this case rule). You can split hairs all you want, but you are CHEATING the system.

And it is not immoral having kids go to a bar to get non-alcoholic drinks. There is an attendant that is supposed to monitor what is being given to underage drinkers. This is no different than any other fountain gun drinks from any other server. Or a Shirley Temple or any virgin drink. That argument is pure sophistry. So you are now using semantics and sophism to try to cloud the fact that you are looking to have your cheating the system legitimized. You can delude yourself anyway you want, but that doesn't make what you propose right. It just means you don't feel bad about cheating the system.

So, are you saying stealing is Never justified?? Hmmmmmm.....

OK, I'll bite on this one. I don't think stealing is ever justified. If you do, please give an example, which I think you have ready for us.

As to the soda card question. My family didn't share, we each got our own card. To me this is akin to one person buying a CD and burning a copy for all his/her friends or copying sheet music for others. Although I have done it in the past, I do feel guilty (but not justified.)

T

Hey not a problem at all. I agree stealing is stealing. However I don't equate this topic to stealing.

Sorry you don't see that. And yes I do sleep well thanks!

Archived