Clothing for next May in St. Petersburg

We will be on the Connie cruise on May3 and wondered what clothing we should be prepared to take. I feel sure it will be cold there. Would a leather car coat be sufficient as outer wear. I know to layer with sweatshirts, etc.

Pat

We will be on the Connie cruise on May3 and wondered what clothing we should be prepared to take. I feel sure it will be cold there. Would a leather car coat be sufficient as outer wear. I know to layer with sweatshirts, etc.

Pat

Pat,

About 10 years ago I would be able to tell you that May is chilly and yes, you need to take a coat, sweaters, etc... Now, with all the world cataclysms and global warming, the weather anywhere can be so unpredictable. We visited Petersburg in May, 2005. Being born there, I kind of knew what the weather looks like in May :), so I had packed a lot of warm clothes, sweaters, leather jacket, etc. It was around 70-80F on May, 9 (which is a big day in Russia, End of World War II with parade, etc). So I had to shop for warm clothes, because I only had one tank top with me, thinking that I will never wear it. Check the weather.com for the average weather forecast and definitely check a week before you'll leave, as they give you the forecast for the next 10 days. The normal temperature for May is about 60F.

Olga:eek:

At that time of year you could have some nice spring weather. If I were going I would take a fleece hoodie and a waterproof windbreaker. The hoodie might be enough for most cool days ashore or on deck. :D :D :) :)

Pat,

About 10 years ago I would be able to tell you that May is chilly and yes, you need to take a coat, sweaters, etc... Now, with all the world cataclysms and global warming, the weather anywhere can be so unpredictable. We visited Petersburg in May, 2005. Being born there, I kind of knew what the weather looks like in May :), so I had packed a lot of warm clothes, sweaters, leather jacket, etc. It was around 70-80F on May, 9 (which is a big day in Russia, End of World War II with parade, etc). So I had to shop for warm clothes, because I only had one tank top with me, thinking that I will never wear it. Check the weather.com for the average weather forecast and definitely check a week before you'll leave, as they give you the forecast for the next 10 days. The normal temperature for May is about 60F.

Olga:eek:

What I meant is I had to shop for summer clothes... sorry...;)

Averages do not apply anymore. For the last several years May has been a bit rainy but warm 18-24 degrees C and some wind. Our winters have changed the most, this year the weather service announced that we had the warmest year on record, only 40 days of cold winter type temperatures. Ask the locals if they every saw canal boats taking passengers for New Years celebrations before this last winter. It has never happened before. A friend invested in a ski resort a few years ago and has gone out of business due to no snow two years in a row. He still has the property and will create a summer sports center next year with horses and hiking.

It all could change next year so wear layers of light weight clothing that can be added to or taken off to adjust to the hour by hour changes in temperature, rain and wind.

Thanks so much to all of you, especially Guide Diva. Global warming is really hitting us all hard. I live near Nashville, TN and it has been 106 degrees this week and expected to be again next week. I guess we will just have to wait and see as time draws closer.

Pat

Archived