Clothing for May on Baltic Cruise

We will be cruising on the Connie May 3, 2008 and wondered what clothing we should consider to pack. I presume it will be rather chilly. Would a leather coat, car coat length be ok with layers under it?

• 2 months later...

You should pack for temperatures ranging from the low fifties in Britain or Holland to the twenties in St Petersburg and Tallin and in those places be wary of windchill. You should however have clear days with less crowds so your experience won't be spoiled by the weather. If you are hopping and off buses wearing layers is advisible.

Be prepared for some fascinating history and architecture!

WOW, are you serious??? in the 20's in St. Petersburg?? We will be there May 19. I was expecting in the 50's or 60's, but IN THE 20's???? This is certainly going to be an interesting trip - haven't seen the 20's in decades!

Living in Stockholm I just can’t imagine where temperatures in the twenties in May come from. The normal average May temperature here is something between 45 and 50. St Petersburg should not be that different from Stockholm.

Of course average temperatures are lower the earlier in May you come. But that is just average. In reality the weather varies a lot in the Baltic area and nobody can predict when it will be warmer than usual and when it will be colder than usual next year. On a sunny day the temperature may well reach into the sixties, but if there is cloud and wind it will be rather chilly. And there can be rain too. So be prepared for everything!

Layers is definitely the way to go. Even on a clear day you may want something warm in the morning, and then you take clothes off as the day gets warmer. I would not recommend a leather coat; it will be heavy and uncomfortable to carry around. Better with a warm sweater and a light jacket that can easily be stored in a bag or backpack.

Archived