Ghost Ship Returns to Brisbane

White Mouse

Found this ad. thought it might be interesting, :confused: what's going on ????? Cheers Mouse:confused:

Liner's cruise to nowhere gives owner a $2.6m bill

Page 1 of 2 View as a single page 5:00AM Friday August 10, 2007

By Stuart Dye

Two passengers leave the Pacific Star yesterday after its eight-night cruise was called off. Photo / Greg Bowker

P&O faces a bill of at least $2.6 million after a luxury liner managed only 200 metres of a luxury cruise.

The company called off the eight-night Tasman Tango cruise because of a faulty ventilation duct.

Instead of a South Pacific cruise, passengers on the Pacific Star got only a short trip between Auckland's Princes and Queens wharves when their ship had to move to so another vessel could berth.

Passengers had been waiting to leave since 4pm on Tuesday, and were told on Wednesday night that when they woke the next morning they would be at sea.

But at 9am yesterday the captain said the cruise was off. It is the Pacific Star's third cancelled cruise in less than a month.

P&O Cruises chief executive Ann Sherry said the ship's 1145 passengers would receive a full refund and a 25 per cent credit on a future cruise.

This is the same compensation deal given to passengers on the previous cancelled cruises.

The company refused to say how much the cancellations had cost it, but a conservative Herald estimate puts the figure at at least $2.6 million, based on the lowest available fare of $2300.

The company has also given 25 per cent discounts to all passengers and waived any fees incurred while on board waiting to set sail.

Some passengers leaving the ship yesterday were annoyed at the cancellation - particularly after P&O said it found the fault on Monday night, before they boarded.

"We felt we were boarded on false pretences," said Arlene Olsen from Auckland.

"They should have been up front with us a lot earlier."

A P&O spokeswoman said the company was not worried about its reputation despite the three failed cruises.

"There are many thousands of people cruising the Pacific every month, but you only hear about the disasters," she said.

"Our research shows word-of-mouth is the best driver, so this negative experience is far outweighed by the many positive ones."

Not all passengers disembarking yesterday were upset.

Viv McGowan described the three days on board as the best she had had in a long time.

"P&O and the staff on board did a wonderful job, and the manner in which they handled everything was fantastic.

"We are definitely going to go on another cruise."

Ms Sherry said the frustration was understandable and apologised "unreservedly for the disappointment and inconvenience".

The Pacific Star was last night sailing direct to Brisbane with no passengers instead of via Mystery Island, Noumea and Isle of Pines with a full load of tourists.

It will be repaired in dry dock in Australia.

"While this has inconvenienced our passengers, we are a company that always errs on the side of caution in the interests of passenger safety," Ms Sherry said.

Fingers crossed for all our CC mates due to depart Bris on 15 August that they'll have her repaired in time to sail! It can't be in danger of sinking or it wouldn't be out at sea and on it's way here, so hopefully it's a 'quick fix' problem and nothing more severe.

Hi, I am a newbie, and hoping to go on our first cruise next Wednesday, the 15th. I hope that we don't have the same experience that happened in New Zealand. I also hope they will let us know if it is on or not.:confused:

Trudy & Mac

Hi Mac! Welcome to CC :D

I'm sure P&O will give you a call sooner or later to let you know what's happening. Have you tried calling them? Although they probably have no idea when it'll be ok to set sail again either :( Worth a call though. Good luck :D

Hi Jo,

Thanks for replying.:)

We thought we'd wait for her to arrive back here in Brissy first, and give them a chance to have a review of the problem?? :(

Perhaps after the week-end they will know - maybe? :rolleyes:

Kind regards,

Mac & Trudy ;)

We thought we'd wait for her to arrive back here in Brissy first, and give them a chance to have a review of the problem?? :(

Perhaps after the week-end they will know - maybe? :rolleyes:

Hopefully :) Fingers crossed for you :)

Let us know if you hear anything.

I agree. Hopefully our EKKA party at Portside will still be on next Wednesday icon10.gificon10.gificon7.gificon7.gif when we see the Star off!

Roll on your party and I will toast you from on board.

And for CC's who follow the perils of frog I have my first interview Monday

Just may-be I will not be unemployed.:)

I agree. Hopefully our EKKA party at Portside will still be on next Wednesday icon10.gificon10.gificon7.gificon7.gif when we see the Star off!

I'm going to have to pull out of the get-together on the 15th. We've got a child that will be coming out of hospital that day, so a trip to portside isn't really going to work for us.

Sorry to cancel at such a late stage.

Neil

Sorry to cancel at such a late stage.

Careful Neil, people will start calling you P&O!!:D

I'm going to have to pull out of the get-together on the 15th. We've got a child that will be coming out of hospital that day, so a trip to portside isn't really going to work for us.

Hope it is nothing serious! Best wishes to a quick recovery.

Cheers,

Charmain:)

I wouldnt mind 2-3 days of a cruise that is no cruise , and a full refund.

Planning for a holiday is half the excitement, and the anticipation.

2-3 days of partying mood on the boat for free

and then a refund and another trip to plan :o doing something else is not all that bad

Roll on your party and I will toast you from on board.

And for CC's who follow the perils of frog I have my first interview Monday

Just may-be I will not be unemployed.:)

Hi Frog,

How did you go yesterday???? :confused:

Best wishes

Trudy & Mac :)

I wouldnt mind 2-3 days of a cruise that is no cruise , and a full refund.

Planning for a holiday is half the excitement, and the anticipation.

2-3 days of partying mood on the boat for free

and then a refund and another trip to plan :o doing something else is not all that bad

It might be okay if you don't have to do much travelling to/from the port. But for us it was draining -- mentally, physically and emotionally. The flight back to Australia was particularly bad. The plane was packed, and there were a lot of unhappy campers on board.

And while P&O can give you your money back, they can't give you the time you took off work, etc. to go on the cruise. Hopefully they'll come to the party when I put my claim form in.

Bill.

Archived