Oceania vs RCCL

cruiselover11

I came across a broshure for Oceania cruiseline.

Could someone tell me what are the major difference if you would compare this cruise line to RCCL.

Is this cruiseline attracts specific age group?

We are traveling with teenagers.

How is the food ?

anything feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I have been on over five RCCL cruises, two Celebrity and three Oceania. I would not recommend taking teenagers on Oceania. You can't even compare RCCL and Oceania, since RCCL's ships are bigger, have big time entertainment, cater to children and teens. Oceania only holds about 700 passengers and is port intensive. When we take our grandchildren, we use RCCL -- when we go by ourselves, we take Oceania. There will be people who will post that their teenagers were happy to be aboard, but most will be honest and tell you they were thoroughly bored. OUr granddaughters love RCCL's big ships, i.e. Navigator of the Seas and Voyager of the Seas since they have an ice skating rink, miniature golf course, climbing wall, and Johhny Rockets.

Sheila

I've been on 2 Oceania cruises and 20 RCL (plus lots of Crystal, Celebrity, Holland America, Windstar, etc.). Oceania and RCL each have their pluses and minuses. Oceania caters to adults, limits smoking, has much better food, and a classier ambiance. RCL has much larger cabins for the money and far better entertainment and activities. We choose Oceania for the itineraries - places like the Black Sea and Libya. We are so exhausted from touring at the end of the day, that we love our fabulous dinner and don't mind the mediocre entertainment afterwards, as we go to bed early.

We choose RCL for places like the Caribbean, where we hardly get off the ship and love relaxing in the junior suites that we book (nicer than the Penthouse suites on Oceania for less than half the price). We also take advantage of the movie theaters and the really good shows, as well as many of the activities the ship offers. Plus, after 10 cruises with RCL, you are Diamond Members of their cruiser society,Crown and Anchor, and get access to a Concierge Lounge with free cocktails every night and snacks and capaccino during the day.

Other than the fact that they are both cruises, it really is apples and oranges to compare them. One has only about 650 passengers and the other ranges from 1800-3000+. It is kind of like comparing EPCOT and SeaWorld - both are entertainment venues, but the experiences are so different.

Thank you ladies for your replies.

that is exactly why I am concidering Oceania ,for the itineraries. And correct me if Iam wrong, but 2 for 1 fair and free air seems to me a really good deal if you would compare to RCCL , Carnival, etc.

I have not done much reaserch yet on Oceania , would you tell me :

- which ship is a better ship ( or are they all about the same )

- do you get motion sickness b/c these ships are much smaller

- and what is the best time of the year to take a cruise to Europe

Thank you all very much!

The ships are just about identical. I suppose you would feel the motion more if the seas were very rough, or in itineraries where you go transatlantic or through the North Sea, but the other journeys tend to go through pretty calm seas. We take the cabins in the very back, where you would expect more turbulance, but have never felt much.

As far as when to sail, we try to avoid the summer as it is often too hot to tour comfortably and the ports tend to be very crowded. We like to sail in May and late September or October. This year, we had to go either the first two weeks in July or September to take the Black Sea cruise, as these were the only time the itinerary was offered. It was pretty hot, but bearable.

Pick the itinerary that interests you - that will determine which ship you book and book early - Oceania is extremely popular and sells out early.

If you hit a storm:mad: which we did in May, in the Mediterranean, being in the front the ship was not fun. The ship pitches and rolls and we had water coming under our balcony door. On the other hand almost everyone including staff were sea-sick.

Otherwise Oceania is great and if you are not looking for major entertainment you'll love it.:)

If you hit a storm:mad: which we did in May, in the Mediterranean, being in the front the ship was not fun. The ship pitches and rolls and we had water coming under our balcony door. On the other hand almost everyone including staff were sea-sick.

Otherwise Oceania is great and if you are not looking for major entertainment you'll love it.:)

Do I remember that Oceania has unlimited drinks? If not, which line is it?

Linda

Well...I think we will have to try Oceania. I have been reading the tread from

JackfromWA for a few hours now.......Wow..... what an amaizing journey.

Iam more intrested in ports than entertaintment , so thank you all for the replies, Iam sure I will have more quastions latter. I will request broshures to Europe a.s.a.p., so I can start planning our next cruise.

Wow......how I ended up here from searching on RCCL and Carnival websites?

I am so glad I did.

Feel free to give me some advise ! :confused:

Thank you all !!!

I don't believe that Oceania has any teen or children's programs at all..The entertainment is not the same as on RCCL..They do not have the big production shows..I imagine that most of the passengers will be in the upper age group..50 plus., but honestly don't know this for a fact..

JanCruz1 is a Travel Agent who frequently posts on this board & knows a great deal about Oceania..Perhaps she will come in on this thread & give you more info..

That being said if your teens enjoy being with you & sightseeing, then I would say go for it..The ships are much smaller, which we always enjoy & understand the service is wonderful..We'll be on our first Oceania cruise in Nov..

We took our son to Europe for the first time when he was 13 & he really enjoyed it...It's a great experience for them..

Have fun planning..:) Betty

P.S. Oceania does not give unlimited drinks...And their two for one deals some with prepaid gratuities are quite good..

Aussie Gal is right on! Silversea & Seabourn, and now Regent, have complimentary libations. Of the first two (we sailed on both lines) Seabourn has a superior selections of wines and spirits. On the other hand, if you pay for a Silversea sailing with an AmEx Platinum card, you get a bottle of vintage Dom Perignon. Not to shabby!

Where in Europe are you planning to go?

I would say that if the teens are older then you may indeed be fine on Oceania. They need to understand the passengers will be older. The entertainment is geared to the passengers and there are none of the activities RCL offers to teens. They will need to like touring these cruises are not really beach vacations. We like RCL but we loved Oceania and would happily sail either.

Best time depends but in the Med I would recommend May, September or October when crowds are a bit less.

Archived