What is your fav. Souvenir you got on a cruise

BigTee2000

• 2 weeks later...

We have always collected a small "dollar store" bottle of sand from every beach that we visit and have them in a display case. We are continuing this as one of our traditions on our cruises, and it is so interesting to see them all lined up; all the different colours and textures.

We started off by buying the brass Christmas Ornament that is the model of the ship for each ship we have sailed on. We also buy the small lapel/hat pin for each island/country/state we visited. But by far our favorite souvenir is from our last cruise on the Celebrity, Constellation. We like to go to the Martini Bar for a drink before dinner each evening. One evening we each ordered the Murano Martini which came in a beautiful souvenir martini glass. Well, we were on an 11 night cruise and the waiter told us we could pay a little extra and get any martini we wanted and still get the souvenir glass. By the end of the cruise we had collected 8 glasses and they have become our favorite souvenir. We love drinking out of them at home and remembing our wonderful cruise and we love serving them to our guests and telling them about our cruise.

As it turned out it was the best cruise ITINERARY and THE best cruise we have EVER been on!

• 3 weeks later...

Family member favorites:

DH: Disney Magic baseball cap; replica of Magic ship; nice large poster of Magic ship (hanging in his office)

DS: Pins traded with crew members; Disney lanyard; tiki mask from St. Martin

Me: Disney Logo hurricane drink glasses (first cruise); formal night photos of family (make great gifts for parents), and my all time favorite is a clear Royal Caribbean coffee mug I purchased last year in the gift shop.

From the ship I like to get an 8 X 10 of the ship I'm on, my past cruiser pin and my sail and sign card. You can buy stick on magnets for business cards to stick on the back of your sail and sign to make a cool magnet :)

From the islands I like to get a shell or two. I also like hand painted items (like tiles from Costa Maya) or carved wooden shells (from Belize). I try not to buy anything that screams tourist :)

Ours are more the things we get from the places we go. We always try to find some piece of local art - you can only get so many 'free' drink glasses. I've got the photo's I've taken, plus the paintings, cards, etc. that we've picked up. I have pictures from London, Azores, Paris, San Juan, Nassau and more on my wall. Everytime I look at them it takes me to the day we picked them out.

Don't get me wrong - I also bring home every day's activity sheets as well as all receipts. We normally bring home some local currency as well - it is fun to put this all together in a scrapbook.

In 1997 I bought a glass globe on board ship with the Carnival logo and it is about 3 inches in diameter, filled halfway with sand and shells. They had two larger sizes and I've regretted not getting a larger one ever since because the bottom can be opened. On subsequent cruises, I've opened the bottom and put in another shell from that cruise, a shell ring I bought once, a peseta I found on the beach at Old Cabo. If I ever run across a bigger one, I would buy it, but they haven't been available for some time.:(

On a cruise to the Bahamas, my DH walked around Nassau exploring. I got it into my head that we should grab one of those discarded conch shells on the coast. Little did I know that people make a living collecting those, cleaning them, and selling them to souvenier shops. I realized this rather quickly when a local started eyeballing our movements. I rather quckly grabbed (and showed him) a broken, dinged up shell

Brought it home in our luggage (which could be argued was a violation of customs laws). All was done in ignorance, but every time I see the shell I smile at how clueless - and lucky - I was.

That broken shell means more to me than any postcard/book/tshirt.

On Royal Caribbean, at the Cruise Critics M&M we all got a small folder with a pen to wear around our necks. It had a place for the room card, and a small pad of paper. This was so convenient because we could tear off the events of the day section of the page of the daily activity newsletter and it was a perfect size to fit in this, and I don't have to have a pocket to keep my room key in.

I also won one of those white fabric hats in trivia from HAL, and I also like the fabric bags with HAL on them that are in your room.

As far as things that I've bought - I also like to go to buy local crafts. In Bermuda I love the craft mart out at Kings Wharf. And in the USVI, I go to St. Johns Spice (on St. John) to get souvenirs to send to people. In Tortola, I go to Sunny Caribe. I like the Best of Barbados in Barbados.

Cruise or not we always pick up shot glasses :D They take up so little space in our luggage and on display! We were on the Victory the first she sailed from Chraleston, SC. We were given a beautiful print of the ship and it is still on display on our living room wall.

I tend to be a bit of a packrat, and my husband teases me about it. But it finally paid off!! We booked a Carnival cruise, but I didn't have a past guest number. I asked if there was any way I could get one, if I could prove I had been on one. I got out my scrapbook and I had my boarding pass, a Carnival Caper, and the photo of me at the Captain's meet n greet. That scrapbook page got us upgraded to a Balcony room from Oceanview and a $400 DISCOUNT!!

For our recent cruises I buy a map, draw the itinerary on it, and have the captain sign and date it. On NCL Pearl last Summer, you could actually buy it that way- itinerary and signature and everything. I have them hung up on the wall in my home office. I might end up with wallpaper!

And we always buy a Christmas ornament- either in a port or on the ship. I just picked up a 'walking turtle' in Nassau that I plan to hang on our tree.

• 3 weeks later...

25 years ago my ex-wife and I went on a cruise on Sitmar's Fairwind. We won the ships trivia contest and I received a silver money clip with a picture and name of the ship on the clip. I still have the money clip.

• 1 month later...

I'm ashamed to admit it now :o , but in 1973 when we cruised the Sitmar Fairwind, they had beautiful beach towels on the deck chairs. That was back when you reserved a specific deck chair for the entire cruise. Well, sure enough, I had to have one of those beach towels and took it the last day. I was only 20 at the time and didn't know better - that's my excuse. :rolleyes:

Too funny...My son has the same birthday 9/19/03 and was also a "Christmas/New Year souvenir" - Even funnier...I see you're from Canton, GA - so is my husband's family and that's where we spent Christmas/New Year 2002!:rolleyes:

I wonder what was in the water???:eek::eek::eek:

• 2 weeks later...

My travel mug that i bought in the ship gift shop. Paid $ 5.00 for it with a picture of a ship and the rccl logo on it. I fill it with coffee every morning before work and then it sits on my desk all day with that ship starring at me.

My husband installed it in our bathroom. We had been looking for one, and saw them at Lowes, Home Depot(special order) for hundreds of dollars. The gentleman had a large selection of them and they were all so beautiful. I'll take a picture and post it. I only wish we would have bought 2. Janice