Staying On The Queen Mary In Long Beach

jstpshe

Has anyone here ever stayed overnight on her and what was it like?

Were there things to do on the ship?

Was the food too expensive?

Is it worth the price?

What is close by that would be nice to see?

Any imformation you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, CJ :) :)

First of all read this review in order to manage your expectations...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=479945

Now, that review is by someone on this board that I've never seen complain about anything cruise-wise; and it's also similar to what I have heard from a lot of others. Paper thin walls, etc.

Secondly, if you wanted to be near the Queen Mary in order to enjoy the tour and amenities, but have a better place to spend the night try The Coast Hotel:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=602024

CJW

I've stayed there once. It's OK but I would probably say to stay nearby at say the Hyatt and then walk over and take the self guided tour and have lunch or dinner on board. We did the self guided tour last year and had lunch there. The lunch was nice. And, the self guided tour worked out well.

Keith

If you are really "into historical" things and atmosphere, then stay on it -- it will be quite meaningful. We stayed 1 night about 4 yr ago (however I would not stay again) prior to flying back to Tenn. We got a more deluxe room & bed was quite comfortable.

What was so memorable for us was that the large granite bar in the aft lounge is the SAME that I have now on my kitchen island! (Norwegian Blue Pearl -- also used on Water Tower Place fountains going up escalators in Chicago). At that time I had it "on order" & was to be installed when we got home!! Picked it from a small square, so when I saw it on the ship's large bar we were quite excited that we had made right choice!

Hubs and I won a 2-night stay and we absolutely loved it! If you are at all into seeing what the classic cruise ship was like or love art deco (two of my favorite things), then by all means stay over night. We had wonderful meals, although we did have a rental car and toured around, so not all meals were aboard. Have a drink in the deco lounge in the evening as the sun sets... Walk the deck early in the morning and imagine running into Clark Gable, Marilyn, Cary Grant, etc.;)

One problem we did have is that we had our porthole open during the night and the ash from the refineries drifted in and coated everything in black ash that turned to an inky like substance when wet. So the bathroom was just lovely after one shower! Keep it closed and you won't have this problem.

The tour (self guided) is great and at one point I swore I heard the JAWS theme song playing!

Go...Enjoy!

D Ann:D

I think a lot depends on the room you get.

We've gone to the Queen Mary for Sunday Brunch once a year for a very long time, we've accumulated quite a few of the cheesy ship photos from the guy outside, around the corner from the dining room. He remembers us now.

We did stay there once prior to a short cruise even though we are local, it was just an extra vacation day for us. We loved it! We had a family suite, 2 bedrooms connected by a hallway. We were in the furthest aft suite you could be in, perhaps a reason it was so quiet. The decor was delightful, many of the original fixtures were still in the room, however the facilities were updated and we had no problems there.

My sis and her husband met us there for dinner in Chelsea, it was great. The kids (early teens) had little interest in being with us, so we ordered pizza and rented them a movie, they were in hog heaven.

The ship was lovely to walk around at night, all the crowds were gone.

The next morning, we took the Ghosts tour (we'd done it before), it's campy and fun, DH and the kids went through the submarine. I had absolutely no interest in going into the sub, I prefer fresh air, thank you very much.

We would stay on her again in a heartbeat! You can usually get fairly decent rates through AAA.

Archived