FOOD...mmmmmmmmmm

Happy HALer

I know this is not what most people would respond, but.......

I LOVE veggies and eat the recommended 7+ per day. If I were on a cruise where veggies were only served as 'plate decoration' and could not get ample servings, I would be craving them. :) Thankfully, HAL has the wonderful salad bar daily for lunch and I usually can get my veggies quota met each day. :)

Favorite soup: Dutch Pea

Favorite appetizer: Black Bean Quesidilla

Favorite entree: Wild Salmon

Favorite dessert: Chocolate Volcano (in Pinnacle)

Favorite food(s) at home: New England Clam Chowder (though I rarely have it), cioppino, Maine lobster, steamed clams and steamed mussels......

Two and a half questions,

What is your favorite dish on a HAL ship? Present or past.

What is your favorite food at home, and how long would you have to cruise before you missed it?

Happy HALer, love your threads. Surf and Turf for dinner. Eggs Benedict for breakfast. I know neither of these is particularly unique but I so look forward to them on the ship.

My favourite food at home are pigtails. They are so so good inspite of what they are. On a cruise I could probably go forever without them only because I was on a cruise.

I never miss the Bami Goreng! Of course, the waiters remind us it is not the REAL thing, but it is still pretty good.

Many years ago, HAL offered riijstaffel in the dining room. We ordered it one night, but noticed the waiter was hanging around while we were eating. Finally he said, "I was waiting to bring you something else, as most Americans send it back for being too spicy!"

My all time favorite is actually an appetizer and that is the Baked Brie, they use to have it as Hazelnut Crusted Brie but either way it is one of my favorites. Another favorite is Swiss Muesli for breakfast:) Then I too love all their soups:D

As far as something I would miss from home....hmmmmm I feel at home on a HAL ships ;) At this moment I cannot think of anything at home that I cannot get on the ship. Although strangely I love this Trader Joes cereal that I eat with fresh blueberries and vanilla soy milk and I would probably miss that.

My problem is......I LOVE EVERYTHING!!!!!!! I have never had one meal on the Noordam, that I didn't like......I did love the parmesean encrusted chicken....my favorite food at home is broiled salmon....it always comes out delicious.

Lynne:)

As far as something I would miss from home....hmmmmm I feel at home on a HAL ships ;) At this moment I cannot think of anything at home that I cannot get on the ship. Although strangely I love this Trader Joes cereal that I eat with fresh blueberries and vanilla soy milk and I would probably miss that.

Oh yes.... thanks for reminding me, Lisa. I miss my Fiber One cereal and plain soy milk when aboard. I use skim milk on the ships but prefer soy milk. The highest fiber cereal I have found that they offer is Complete. Not be my first choice at home but it is fine when aboard. I know, I know...... some of you are shaking your head about having cold cereal when cruising. :D Different strokes and all that! :)

I love so much of the offerings on HAL, but my very favorite is the escargot. Then, not in order, I love the bread pudding, chocolate desserts, little breakfast rolls that have raisins (I think they're raisins) in them, and all the cold soups.

My favorite food at home is great sushi and the sushi on HAL doesn't come close. Then, at this time of year I love steamed lobster and steamed clams.

I used to like Public Eye dry rub but no more. I guess I like Central BBQ, as ot wet or dry, I like them equally. Are you from Memphis?

No, not from Memphis. Been there a few times. I am almost out of my Willingham's rub. I liked it, but I think there are better ones out there.

Loved Memphis. How can you go wrong with Blues and Ribs? Even with TGIF, Olive Garden, Applebees, etc... Memphis still has a lot of soul.

Oh yes.... thanks for reminding me, Lisa. I miss my Fiber One cereal and plain soy milk when aboard. I use skim milk on the ships but prefer soy milk. The highest fiber cereal I have found that they offer is Complete. Not be my first choice at home but it is fine when aboard. I know, I know...... some of you are shaking your head about having cold cereal when cruising. :D Different strokes and all that! :)

You might want to think about bringing a box of soy milk. They have it at Trader Joe's and at Whole Foods...probably other stores as well.

I loved the Parmesean Encrusted Chicken, the Escargot, the baked brie appetizer, the soups...and the bread pudding!

At home, I make a very similar chicken and variations thereof, and I'm with Sail...I love lobster, steamers, fried clams, and New England clam chowder...I'll also throw in wild Scottish salmon for good measure! :rolleyes:

If I liked the one that doesn't need refrigeration, I just might do that but I really enjoy the Silk Brand - Plain soy milk. It has to be kept cold. Could be managed for our cruises from Boston but I can make do with the skim while aboard.

If I liked the one that doesn't need refrigeration, I just might do that but I really enjoy the Silk Brand - Plain soy milk. It has to be kept cold. Could be managed for our cruises from Boston but I can make do with the skim while aboard.

I've never tried the plain Silk...just the chocolate. I keep the other in my fridge at the inn for guests who may prefer soy. Have you asked on the ship if they have it?

Archived