FOOD...mmmmmmmmmm

Happy HALer

I like pretty much anything on the ship because it's real food prepared by someone who knows how. My favorites, though, are the chilled soups and the chocolate desserts. :D

There isn't one darned food at home that I miss when aboard. Even the popcorn at the movie is better than mine. :rolleyes:

I've never tried the plain Silk...just the chocolate. I keep the other in my fridge at the inn for guests who may prefer soy. Have you asked on the ship if they have it?

Now that you mention it, I don't think I have ever specifically asked if it is available but am sure I've never seen it. This cruise, I shall ask and might just be pleasantly surprised. I'll definitely post if I find I could have been having it all along if only I had asked. :)

I think it's wonderful you have it available for your guests. That is attention to detail IMO Trying your best to assure everyone has their favorite things...as much as it is possible to do that.

Somehow I just know your Inn is a lovely place to visit. :)

This will be my first HAL cruise, but from all the replies, I can tell you I will have every kind of soup they have (can't believe everyone raved about soup), parmesan encrusted chicken, and anything chocolate!!!

I really loved all the food on my recent Oosterdam Cruise but the following stand out in my mind...

Soup: Chilled Blueberry or actually any of the chilled berry soups in the dining room!

Entree: Filet in the Pinnacle was superb!

Side Dish: Mashed potatoes in the Lido late night buffet

Dessert: Creme Brulee in the Pinnacle and Crepes Suzette at the Dessert Extravaganza!

The only food that they could never make better than home is Pizza! Nothing beats Chicago for a great pizza! I always go out for that after a long vacation!:)

Pigtails? Are you from Kitchener area by any chance?.... love them too. It must be my German ancestors. My grandmother used to make them in a pressure cooker with sauerkraut... to die for.

On board it's the Dover sole... yummmmmm... so tender and sweet...and beautifully presented. It is so special.

Ahoy!

The fruit soups are great. IMO the vegetables soups depend on to much cornstarch or arrowroot thickening, thus, to me, you get a bowl of thickener with vegetable flavoring. But I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to soups.

HAL has a wonderful menu on each and every cruise. Pick and choose and order off menu (preparation, etc.) if you desire. Just rememeber, the 'rule of thumb' regarding fine dining is, to serve cold items COLD and hot items HOT. HAL, and most other institutional cooking venues tend to leave the hot items on the steamer table (soups, entrees, etc.), and the cold items (salads, desserts, etc.) on the chill rack a bit too long. (AKA delivered to the table at room temperature).

Likewise, in the Ocean Bar and Crow's Nest where they serve 'hot appetizers' be sure to have the server warm them up, if necessary.

I enjoy cruise line food, regardless. The dishes and presentation are worth the dining adventure. HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!

Bon Voyage and Good Health!

Bob:)

Does anyone know if they have jalapenos at the omelette station for b-fast? We have been on 2 cruises. The 1st one RC they did but on the QM2 they did NOT which really bummed me. I love an egg beater omelette with tomato, onion, low fat cheese and jalapenos! We'll be on the 16 day Westerdam TA and I'd loooooove to have that for b-fast. Linda

On board: The Dutch Night macaroni and cheese with the spicy ham. Haven't had it for several cruises, and miss it. Nasi Gorneng or Bami Goreng. Smoked fish at breakfast and lunch in the Lido. Whatever happened to that? Snickers Pie.

At home. Real, no kidding, Italian food (lived in Naples for 6 years). Olive Garden is not real Italian! The only places I've found real Italian in the U.S. are (really!) Boston and Seattle. There may be others, but I have not found them, so must make my own:

Real bruschetta, with tomatoes and garlic-rubbed real Italian bread.

Pasta carbonata, with real pancetta, egg yolks and real parmeggiano reggiano.

Insalata Caprese, with real water buffalo fresh mozzaraella and heriloom (i.e., ones with some taste to them) tomatoes.

Real calamari fritti, ideally calamaretti (small ones) fritti.

etc., etc., etc. Do NOT offer me an Italian meal at something that resembles Olive Garden. Nothing wrong with that, they have tasty dishes, but they are NOT, NOT, NOT, true Italian.

Dave

my favorite on the ship is defenetly the bread pudding, and I will miss my lemon curd and hp sauce. I have even thought about sneaking a jar of lemon curd and a bottle of hp on ship. But then thought aww heck I have the pleasure of the bread pudding so I will bear with it. Hal should really think about having these 2 condiments at breakfast. lol lol Christine:)

my favorite on the ship is defenetly the bread pudding, and I will miss my lemon curd and hp sauce. I have even thought about sneaking a jar of lemon curd and a bottle of hp on ship. But then thought aww heck I have the pleasure of the bread pudding so I will bear with it. Hal should really think about having these 2 condiments at breakfast. lol lol Christine:)

I'm not sure what hp sauce is but if you mean 'hot pepper', there are bottles of hot sauce on a condiment tray in Lido...... near the coffee/tea station.

If you don't mean hot pepper, what is it?

I'm not sure what hp sauce is but if you mean 'hot pepper', there are bottles of hot sauce on a condiment tray in Lido...... near the coffee/tea station.

If you don't mean hot pepper, what is it?

Hi Seas,

HP is a British thing. Some can't live without it. It is most similar to A-1 Steaksauce.

I used to be a very elaborate cook when my husband was alive and my children were at home. In my later years, if someone cooks it and puts it in front of me, I'm happy, so it's hard to list my favorite on a HAL cruise, but when I think of the lovely dinners on various HAL ships, I usually think first of the cold fruit soups. I still cook an occasional soup in the winter, but never a cold fruit soup so these seem like a special treat.

On our first (SO and I) on the Ryndam in 2000, in the Lido at lunch time they sometimes had a seafood table with huge shrimp. I don't recalls seeing it on other cruises, but scan the buffet before you choose and don't miss the dessert table.

Archived