Cell phone reception in Alaska

SabrinaNP

My AT&T (formerly Cingular) phone worked fine in Seattle, but I couldn't get a signal at all in any of the Alaska ports. I have a "Pay as you go" phone with $193.oo worth of minutes, but couldn't use it in Alaska. I though maybe AT&T didn't know that Alaska is part of the United States.

I have Cingular, and just got back and had full service in all parts of Alaska - even on the train to Denali..... I have an international plan, but wasn't charged roaming for any of the calls done in Alaska (since it's part of the US)......:)

I have AT&T and am at the Mt McKinley Princess lodge right now. My phone has worked everywhere except on parts of the train between Anchorage and Denali.

I noticed that a woman on the train that had Verizon had phone service where I didn't.

We had no trouble with reception in any of the ports (Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan.) My husband has a business so he was often in touch with our daughter, who works for us.

I couldn't believe how strong the signal was -- better than what I usually get at home! We went on a hike in Skagway in the hills above where our ship was docked. We actually got a little lost -- that is, we weren't sure which trail to take to get back in time to get back on the ship! So I called 911 who routed me to the park rescue. We were able to figure out where we were and the only way back was the way we came (we thought we were on a two-mile loop and it turns out we took a wrong turn and it was 3.5 miles out and 3.5 miles back!) The rescue service called us back to make sure we were okay and later, we passed a guy who turned out to be with the rescue group. He had gone up to make sure we were okay!

We had to skedaddle to get back in time, especially since we had to return the rental car, too. We made it with about 30 minutes to spare, even after a stop to get some Alaskan beer. :) Without the phone, we probably would have turned around and gone back but we would have been much more frantic about it.

• 4 weeks later...
We just got back yesterday from Alaska.:( Our phone worked very well in all the ports. We have AT&T/Cingular. No roaming because it is part of the US. Never used it while at sea. Way to expensive.

Bosslady:)

So you just waited until you left the ship while in port to use your phone? Just wanted to get the details about charges. I called AT&T/Cingular yesterday and I was told that whether I'm on the ship or not, I will incur roaming charges of $2.49/minute PLUS any long distance charges. She also said that the only port I will have coverage in is Juneau, but this seems to conflict what posters are saying on these boards.

So you just waited until you left the ship while in port to use your phone? Just wanted to get the details about charges. I called AT&T/Cingular yesterday and I was told that whether I'm on the ship or not, I will incur roaming charges of $2.49/minute PLUS any long distance charges. She also said that the only port I will have coverage in is Juneau, but this seems to conflict what posters are saying on these boards.

Yes, we waited until we got to port. Just received our bill from At&t/Cingular and there were no roaming charges for any of the ports in Alaska and we had excellent reception. There shouldn't be any long distance charges unless you do not have nationwide coverage. Make sure your plan has nationwide coverage or you probably will be charged roaming and long distance. Good luck and have a great cruise.

Bosslady:)

the coverage in Alaska is amazing..if we had such good coverage in lower 48 people would be amazed. We was all over and could almost always get a signal..funny thing.. I only saw one cell tower the whole time.. That was on a hill far away in Skagway

the coverage in Alaska is amazing..if we had such good coverage in lower 48 people would be amazed. We was all over and could almost always get a signal..funny thing.. I only saw one cell tower the whole time.. That was on a hill far away in Skagway

We had the same experience with amazing coverage from Verizon. 4 full bars in the middle of nowhere out near Denali! Also out in Resurrection Bay in Seward. Wish I had coverage that good at home. LOL

Archived