Crown Questions for the cruise experts

VinnieCruises

Sailing on 9/29. Havent cruised in quite some time:

1. Can you dine in the main dining room if you have anytime dining?

2. Is there any difference in Michelangelos and daVinci dining rooms-food, decor etc..?

3. For this New England/Canada sailing what night would you recommend that we make reservations for Sabatinis? Dont want to miss either formel night

4. Is there anyone to speak to when you get on board about an upgrade?

5. How early can you get on the ship in Brooklyn?

6. Suggestions for must dos as soon as you get on ship...I.e. purser

7. Where is the best location to be for the departure-to see the Statue of Liberty?

8. Are there any certain days that offer spa discounts?

Thanks so much! Judy and Jack

progress.gif

• 3 weeks later...

2. Is there any difference in Michelangelos and daVinci dining rooms-food, decor etc..?

3. For this New England/Canada sailing what night would you recommend that we make reservations for Sabatinis? Dont want to miss either formel night

7. Where is the best location to be for the departure-to see the Statue of Liberty?

progress.gif

Sailed on the Crown's Carribean cruise Aug 10th. If you have anytime dining, you can only switch once to the traditional dining, and stay there,but you can't switch back and forth every night.If you have anytime dining or traditional, you don't miss the formal night,everyone dresses where they are, and you can go to Sabatini's dressed up on tghe formal night too. When you first board the ship, you can go right up to Sabatini's and make the reservations, or there is a time pre-set the first evening to go to the Da Vinci room and make all your reservations for the week with him, or to change to the traditional seating 1st or 2nd,depending on which one you want.They also know there when the formal night is, what port you are in, and what time the ship sails,etc, to help you make a decision about the dining. Last yeat,we also went on the Crown and boarded around 1:30pm, but I have read on the boards that people this summer boardded at noontime in Brooklyn.If your room is ood-numbered,you will be facing the Statue of Liberty,if is even-numbered,you have to go to one of the rear or starboard decks to see her. It's a beautiful sight!!!The days that the ship is in port they have the spa discounts, and I have heard the last sea day is very popular,but more expensive,so book early.Both times we have sailed the Crown, it was fully booked and over-booked, so ther was no changing of rooms or upgrade once you were on it. I think you have to do that thru that with your TA,unless there is a big problem with your room. Your ship may not be fully booked, and perhaps you can upgrade with the purser. If you wish to remove the automatic $10.00/day/pp deduction for tips, you need to see the purser the first day.Da Vinci and Michaelangelo's has the same exact menu each evening.Some say the service in the Da Vinci was better, but we liked our waiters Antonio from Portugal and Osden from India in the Michaelangelo dining room they were very nice and attentive.Don't miss the high tea every day at 3:30pm in the Da Vinci dining room-it is agreat experience. Enjoy!!!!

progress.gif

OK, here we go-

Botticellis is the formal dining room and has the fixed times for dining. You can request traditional dining but can use the anytime dining anytime!

Michaelangelos and DaVinci are pretty mush the same with some subtle differences in decor. They offer the exact same menu.

As soon as you get on board, go to Sabatinis and make the reservation. They will know which nights are formal and can guide you accordingly.

If you are on the New England sailings from NY, as they say there..,fuggetaboutit! It is sold out except for some of the lower categories so no upgrades this time. You will probably see a sign at the Pursers saying this.

You can usually get on the ship anytime after 1PM. The terminal in Brooklyn is actually not bad. It is clean, large, organized, and easy to navigate. The only thing I would warn you about is traffic getting into Redhook from the BQE. It can be HELL! I am a native NY'er and can vouch for that! I would suggest arriving after 2PM since the traffic will not be as bad, all of the departing passengers will be gone by then, and the initial crush will be over.

Best location for viewing the Statue is facing lower Manhattan. Also, you will be going under the Verrazano Bridge, which is amazing as well. Don't go below until after you have gone under.

Spa discounts are best on port days.

Hope this helps!

Archived