Where do you find the best DEALS?

So my boyfriend and I are thinking about getting out of the Canadian, frigid winter this Feb. 2008 for my birthday, and we're trying to find a nice 7-day cruise for hopefully $500 CAD or less (We're also talking about getting a whole bunch of our friends to come, but we haven't even discussed it with them yet, but I'm sure you can get group rates somewhere).

I've only ever been on a cruise once, it was a 6-day, which was less than that, so I know it's definitely doable.

How do you book your cruises, and how do you find the best deals? Is it cheaper to book 6 months in advance, or 4, or 2? I was finding when looking on Travelocity, the exact same cruise I would want to take in Feb. that'd cost say $550, would cost $100 less in December.

If anyone could help me out with some of this info, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Esther.

Many of our best deals have come from the travel section of the local paper - and since you are in Toronto I am sure they have some great ones. Often, these will include airfare for the price you would normally pay for just the cruise. If you have friends who want to come along (multiple cabins), you probably want to book early so no one is disappointed. Otherwise, ask around for a good TA who will work with you and keep an eye out for the greatest deal.

Hello,

I agree that a TA who specialty is cruises, can be of great help to you.

However, before you go see the TA, look at the travel websites such as Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Vacations to Go, and Travelzoo, to get an idea of the prices, ships, ports, etc.

And please remember that there are some added costs in addition to your airfare/cruise. There are gratuties for the cabin steward, and waiters, and it is very important that you arrive at the cruise departure city the day before your cuise ( especially if you are from Toronto)

Hope that this is of help.

Fred

Hello,

Good news (sort of)...you have lots of choices in the $350 to $500 per person price range, not including air. For example, Celebrity's Century has a 5 day cruise from either Miami or Fort Lauderdale for $379 PP not including taxes.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Seen quite a few 7 day cruises for $399 and even $379 - US $. But don't know the exchange rate now.Check Orbitz and cruise lines themselves. Last Jan. Costa had a price of $299. We saw it and booked it Tuesday, ship left that weekend. Year before we got $299, 7 days, Costa and we got a balcony cabin for that! Again saw and booked on Tuesday, ship left that weekend. But last August we found a 10 day Princess cruise for $499 - less than $50 a day- sailing November 1st. So, check cruise lines sites- that's where we found Princess- , also look around at internet sites that sponser this site - cruise.com, crucon.com, etc. If you're coming from the snowy north, you may want to seriously consider flying the day before your cruise. Weather can cause delays and the ship won't wait for you.

I was finding when looking on Travelocity, the exact same cruise I would want to take in Feb. that'd cost say $550, would cost $100 less in December.

It depends on the dates you were looking at ... early December is slow, so the prices are lower to entice people to book ... in February if you're looking around President's Day (U.S. Holiday) then the prices will be higher.

I good travel agent can help a lot. Also sign up with the online agencies for their special deals and with the cruise lines themselves. You don't have to book with the one that sends the deal - I check to see if others are offering it too and then book with my travel agent. It can fill up your email but you can find some good deals. I just booked NCL for a good deal on a balcony in January but the deal was only available for a few days. I'd start looking now. Debbie

If you are flexible with your schedule, cruiseline,stateroom category and not totally picky of the ports you must see, you should be able to do it on your budget. However you will need to add airfare and spending money on and off the ship as you know. So it will definitely cost you alot more than 500$ from Canada. (Your exchange rate is very close to US dem. right now)

Feb is prime cruise time as everyone "up north" wants to get out of the cold. So you can't compare prices to fall or early Dec.

You mention getting more people along. If you get more than 5 cabins, you'll get a group discount too. But you really need to have all those people commit before going after the additional discounts. Lots of discount sites are advertising on the C.C. boards. Keep your eye out and don't be afraid to have a couple compete for your business. Some have better deals becasue they specialize in certain cruiselines or book many many cruises. It's all up to you to do your shopping ahead of time.

Google "discount cruises" and you'll get tons of agencies.

If the rates go down after booking, generally you get the discount back in ship board credit or on your final payment. Make sure your agent will do the paperwork for you on that. Good luck!

If you get more than 5 cabins, you'll get a group discount too.

This varies by cruise line. Many require a minimum of 8 cabins double occupancy, and not all cruise lines discount the group fares (i.e. Royal Caribbean and Celebrity do not).

Archived