On QM2 what is a (in-hull) balcony?

OK BOOK IT

I do not want to seem curt, but a "hull balcony" is a balcony cut into the hull of the Queen Mary 2.

If you look at a photo of the Queen Mary 2, the cabins with hull balconies begin below Deck 7 which sometimes is referred to as the Promenade Deck or Boat Deck. Below that deck are Decks 6 and 5 in the hull of the ship painted white. Deck 4 is where the hull begins with the black paint.

The hull of a ship is the bathtub part of the ship. Everything above it is the superstructure. On the Queen Mary 2 there are three passenger cabin decks in the bathtub and five passenger decks in the superstructure. If you have a Cunard catalog, this is shown in the deck plans.

My wife and I are booked on Deck Four, Premium Balcony, Category B5, 269 sq. ft., for the upcoming New England/Canada cruise from September 17-29.

I hope this helped you with your question. If you have more questions. please post them.

Terrence

I'm booked in a B6 category in-hull balcony cabin on Deck 4. There is a good picture of one in the QM2 Insider's Guide if you're travel agent has access to the brochures. The superstructure balconies feature glass walls with a more "open" feeling (more light). I think the in-hull balconies are a tad bigger but feature solid walls (less light).

Hi, it's me again.

I made an error in my previous post. I wrote B5 category when I should have written B6 for the Premium balcony cabin on Deck Four that my wife and I are booked in for September 17, 2004.

I was looking at the 2005 Cunard catalog where the cabin category numbers have been changed from 2004.

Bon Voyage!!! Terrence

My wife and I were on the QM2 last March. We had a B6 "hull balcony" cabin. We found the cabin real nice and spacious. There was plenty of light, and the balcony is rather large. Unless you spend a lot of time in your balcony, I think these cabins are an excellent value for the money. Now, you must keep in mind that you do not see the ocean unless you stand, since there is no plexiglass veranda. Actually we did not spend a lot of time in the balcony. The ship has so many wonderful areas and the decks are spacious with plenty of comfortable chairs, that you really are not in your cabin except to sleep, dress etc. We would not hesistate going back on the QM2. Now, we are getting ready to experience the QE2 next week.

Have a wonderful trip

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

We loved our hull balcony B6 on the June 5th w.b. crossing. Many people are concerned that they're not going to get enough light, that the cabin will be dark. As the cut outs are so big, it wasn't a problem at all. There was plenty of light. I figure we also had better shelter from the wind. When we booked, the cabins on 4 deck were the B6's, and now the obstructed view balconies on 8 deck are the B6's.

If I ever sail QM2 again, I might consider a B6 up on 8 deck. Yeah, there's no downward facing view, but on a crossing there's nothing to see anyway, and they're probably a bit more sheltered from spray (although every deck seemed to get covered with spray constantly). We think the best thing about balcony rooms is being able to get some fresh air in the cabin.

Vince

Archived