Restrictions with minors in your group???

BFisher

Quick question: We're toying with the notion of taking our high school senior on a cruise next spring. She would like to take along a friend or two. I saw something on Norwegian's site that indicates this might not be possible unless those under 21 are "in an adjoining room" next door to my cabin. True? Obiviously, if we can get two cabins next to one another this wouldn't appear to be a problem. However, if such space isn't available it looks like it could be an issue. Correct?

BFisher

Easiest resolution would be to book one adult in each cabin and spread the teens out. When you get onboard, you have the key cards reassigned to the correct configuration (ie. adults in one cabin, teens in another). Also, I'd let the steward(s) know the girls are with you.

While we have never done this, the "word" on these boards, is that it is done all the time and not an issue.

On RCL, we had our daughters in a seperate room. They had a lower level cabin and were placed on a different floor. No problem. But, we did book thru the cruise line and they handled the room choice. I think those rules are designed to prevent a group of young adults (e.g. spring breakers) from traveling without adaquate supervision. So, check with NCL.

Also, many cruise lines do not allow those under 18 to be in the nightclubs/ disco after a certain time - say 11pm. This may be a problem if one is old enough and the other is not.

My kids were in their own cabin from about 10 & 14 (at the time) and we never a problem. We booked my husband in one, me in the other, switched the cards once on board AND got an extra key card for me so that I could enter the cabin anytime I wanted. Not that I really needed to. I would walk down the hallway, the room steward would see me coming, run to open their door and then spill his guts on everything my kids had done since the last time he'd seen me, right up to ordering the sandwiches at midnight.

I would walk down the hallway, the room steward would see me coming, run to open their door and then spill his guts on everything my kids had done since the last time he'd seen me, right up to ordering the sandwiches at midnight.

LMAO! Good to know!

Here's the difference. Most people book their own kids into the othe cabin. The kids you are talking about are not your children.. and those kids are not sailing with a parent. Your kids can be booked into their own cabin-- and you will be in one cabin with one of the kids and your husband will be in the other cabin with the other kid.

there is no way around this--- if you do find an agent that books it-- you will have a hard time later with getting documents etc.

We just went through all of this mess. Held up documents for close to 40 cabins coz i had 2 minors that were age 20 and not sailing with parents.

What a freaken mess it was.

Now if i have a hard time with switchin these kids back into their own room-- the people up in canada will be hearing me roar coz i will be pi$$ed

My son went on a cruise with a friend's family. Plus a 3rd boy went along. They were all 17 and booked into a cabin together. The other family made all the arrangements, including payment and I paid her back. That way all the documents came together - to their house. My son was able to go online, with their reservation number and then under his own name, to do the pre-boarding information.

Again, call NCL directly to answer your specific questons about your specific arrangement.

I took my 18 YO niece. We didn't have a single problem. She was in the room with my DD (also 18). She had her passport, she's legally an adult in the US. Not sure what problems you had but the room was booked through a TA, they were in their own room across from us. Hardest part of taking her was getting her passport before we left (since she turned 18 on the week before).

I took my 18 YO niece. We didn't have a single problem. She was in the room with my DD (also 18). She had her passport, she's legally an adult in the US. Not sure what problems you had but the room was booked through a TA, they were in their own room across from us. Hardest part of taking her was getting her passport before we left (since she turned 18 on the week before).

I would have to ask-- when this was?

In the past year people booking minors without parents sailing would have to be booked in the cabin with a chaperone.

Was this this past year? on carnival?

What serene is talking about is taking non family members on a cruise without their own parents. Your situation with taking a niece is completely different---you were with FAMILY. The OP is taking friends of her daughters. NCL is getting very strict with their policy and those under age 21. Because of problems with teens on cruises and being undersupervised, they have a new get tough policy with teens who don't travel with family member. To the OP, you may have a real problem bringing non-relatives on a cruise and getting them a cabin without an adult.

BTW, on cruise ships, 18 is NOT considered adult. Their age of consent is 21 and it makes no difference if the 18 year old has a passport or not. If they're not 21, they're not consdered legal.

Quick question: We're toying with the notion of taking our high school senior on a cruise next spring. She would like to take along a friend or two. I saw something on Norwegian's site that indicates this might not be possible unless those under 21 are "in an adjoining room" next door to my cabin. True? Obiviously, if we can get two cabins next to one another this wouldn't appear to be a problem. However, if such space isn't available it looks like it could be an issue. Correct?

BFisher

You are reading this correctly but normally when booking, the agent will make certain the cabins are next to one another, across the hall or in the immediate vacinity.

Nita

My kids were in their own cabin from about 10 & 14 (at the time) and we never a problem. We booked my husband in one, me in the other, switched the cards once on board AND got an extra key card for me so that I could enter the cabin anytime I wanted. Not that I really needed to. I would walk down the hallway, the room steward would see me coming, run to open their door and then spill his guts on everything my kids had done since the last time he'd seen me, right up to ordering the sandwiches at midnight.

My grandkids were also, about that same age. We had a similar experience. Everyone looked out for the girls, they loved the freedom and by one adult's name being on the reservation for each cabin it saved a lot of confusion.

Nita

Archived