Carnival update - most recent?

flitter306

Is this the most recent update?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=614544

Update! Carnival

Carnival has just released the following updates:

star2.bmpCarnival Legend, August 26 departure from Tampa. The ship will visit Key West, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. The original itinerary was Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Costa Maya.

star2.bmpCarnival Glory, August 25 departure from Port Canaveral. The ship will visit Key West, Cozumel, Progreso and Nassau instead of Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya and Nassau as first scheduled.

star2.bmpCarnival Fantasy, August 25 departure from New Orleans. The ship will visit Progreso and Cozumel (instead of Costa Maya and Cozumel).

Carnival Legend, August 26 departure from Tampa. The ship will visit Key West, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. The original itinerary was Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Costa Maya.

I hope by April 13th Costa Maya and Belize are ready for tourist......I do not want to go to Key West (been there)...I don't want to go to Ocho Rios (been there).....:eek:

As the days go by, there will be additional updates for the longer term. These were just to address the immediate cruises that were to stop at the storm-ravaged ports in the coming week. They're scrambling for alternative ports and I imagine will finalize and announce as soon as possible. I wouldn't assume these are permanent itinerary changes but who knows? :confused:

John Heald, on his blog, referenced the problems rescheduling ships during/after a hurricane. It's rather involved process:

"There is of course a lot that is involved when a Hurricane knocks at the door and ships need to change itineraries. Carnival has set up a Situation Room for this and other emergencies. It is full of high tech communication devices with the vessel, weather satellite and a huge coffee machine.

When a ship needs to change an itinerary the first thing Carnival has to do is secure dock space at the alternative ports of call management have chosen. Remember, its not just Carnival that changes its vessels routes, it is all the lines and there are only a certain amount of spaces available in each port.

Once a new and safe itinerary has been chosen and docking space secured, the next thing we have to do is inform the guests. Do you remember a chap called Terry Thornton who we did a guest interview with a few weeks ago? Well, he is the man who ultimately draughts the letter and decides where the vessels will go. Terry, then e-mails the letter to each ship and the Captain signs it and then the letter is sent to each and every cabin or handed out during embarkation if it is at the beginning of the voyage.

When itinerary changes happen the Cruise Director has such an important job as he or she has to announce the change and make sure that everyone understands the reasons for doing it. Then, I always have an open Q and A session in the main lounge where guests can ask their questions and others can hear. When changes happen everyone usually understands but as always there are one or two people who will try and exploit the situation. I remember Hurricane Jean in 2003 or 2004, can’t remember but I was on the Carnival Glory and we could not get back to our home Port of Port Canaveral because the hurricane was heading straight for it and therefore our 7 day cruise turned into a 10 day cruise because after the storm had passed through it had caused damage to the port itself.

Anyway, I held the Q and A to keep guests informed and everyone was so wonderful and understanding……………..except one man who said………..and I will never forget………Carnival is responsible to get me home as I have to catch my flight because I have a very important business meeting……….well, before I had chance to reply I just remember the rest of the room laughing, booing and telling him to …….well you know."

http://johnheald.wordpress.com/2007/08/18/highlighting-the-carnival-triumph-and-cruise-director-paul-santley/

Take some of this with a grain of salt as it's be liberally sprinkled with John's own unique form of humor. I'm sure the process is remarkably more complex than John makes it out to be but that's pretty well the bottom line...

Archived