NCL Crown 8/26 delay and NCLs response

tmeyers

For what it is worth following is a note I am sending to NCL. If you are on this voyage perhaps it will be of value to you. One way or the other exercise the power of the Internet and let NCL know how you feel:

Colin Veitch

NCL Corporation Ltd.

7665 Corporate Center Drive

Miami, Florida 33126

Mr. Veitch;

I am booked on my second and what I suspect will be my final NCL trip. I am ship shopping for a future trip and and booked this second trip was based on my experience during my first cruise with you. I visited your site to prepare for my departure and noted the Norwegian Crown 8/26 notice. My change of heart toward NCL is based on your handling of this situation. I accept that mechanical failure may be to some extent beyond your control but it is much more within your control then in it is mine. You response to this situation is entirely within your control and is not acceptable. I am guessing that your accommodation for the onboard passengers is similar to that of the embarking passengers but I will restrain my comments to that the facts provided on your site. You offer does not begin to make whole your customers inconvenience. A one seventh onboard credit and future cruse credit does not cover an additional nights stay in New York city on short notice. As an 40 year old taking my tenth cruise in six years this will impact your business both from myself and the great number(up to 200+) fellow passengers that have traveled with me. I am fiercely brand loyal and always trend to the high end. I would have to guess that I am your dream demographic.

NCL seems to think of itself as a market leader. Garden Villas are brilliant! Your Freestyle program has obviously impacted the industry but don't fool yourself NCL is clearly not interested in differentiating yourself from the competition. Your marketing department can say what they may but your operation had better be able to back it up. You spend a great deal of money to get my attention, then you do something short sited like this. I am disappointed that a company that is doing so much right would handle something so poorly. You treated this as a problem to be dealt with and not an opportunity. This does not affect me directly but I suggest you take this note very seriously. I rarely complain to a company as I view it as helping a misguided business and I quite honestly do not care to help a company that has failed me and does not value my patronage. Now to the point of this message; I want to help your customers. I assume that you will sweeten the pot for passengers that complain; to that end I will ensure that this message makes the rounds and is posted to the multiple forums on the internet; starting with this voyages Cruise Critic Roll Call. Perhaps a few folks will read it and you will face a petition similar to that of the QM2 after a propulsion delay on their way to Rio for Carnaval. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4640436.stm

Viva la Internet,

-- Troy Meyers

I've been coming to this site for a couple months and lurking just to get to know about cruises. This is going to be my first cruise... and this happened. I am very upset. I don't understand how losing 1 day equals losing 2 days in Bermuda either.

I'm about to call the cruise line now and complain. Our original transportation to NYC can't bring us there on Monday! So now we have to spend an extra $200 just to have a taxi bring us there.

The thing is, is what should I expect? More money back? A room upgrade? Being it's my first time for all of this, I'm not sure what to do.

I've been coming to this site for a couple months and lurking just to get to know about cruises. This is going to be my first cruise... and this happened. I am very upset. I don't understand how losing 1 day equals losing 2 days in Bermuda either.

I'm about to call the cruise line now and complain. Our original transportation to NYC can't bring us there on Monday! So now we have to spend an extra $200 just to have a taxi bring us there.

The thing is, is what should I expect? More money back? A room upgrade? Being it's my first time for all of this, I'm not sure what to do.

You'll lose the day in St George, you'll have the 2 1/2 days in Hamilton still. I know that doesn't make this any better. I was on RCCL when they rerouted us to Canada instead of Bermuda, a whopping $42.00 was credited to our SBC, and eventually a 20% off coupon arrived in the mail, wasn't enough to make me happy, why give them anymore of my $$ . Good Luck, and try to enjoy yourselves, Bermuda is beautiful staying angry over this will only shadow your entire vacation.

Does anyone read the small print on your tickets. Doesn't make it any better but the cruisline has covered their A--S

on that ticket.

You right, they are well within their rights. It is a matter of business. They can choose how to handle a situation that presents itself and we can vote with our wallets.

I have only complained to a cruise line once. It was Celebrity and it was related to mold in the bathroom. Not a major amount of mold and to be fair something that I have had issues with at some very nice hotels(the 41 and Ritz Carlton Battery Park to name two). Celebrity sent someone in to steam-clean around the tub and replace a shower curtain to address the issue while I was onboard. I also received a $200 ship board credit and two $200 vouchers for use towards a future cruise were sent with a letter. They did not have to do any of this. Celebrity clearly understand that this is something they had complete control over and wanted to make it right. They exceeded my expectations. They also indicated in their apology letter that they had updated the cabin inspection process to ensure that it would not be an issue in the future. Celebrity is the upper end of the middle of the market; they are a bit more then NCL and do have better service and nicer ships in my opinion. I would expect more from from them based on that.

The point about not letting this ruin your trip is very valid. Time off is precious and you don't want to ruin it. Do remember that there are many people on the ship all there to make your trip nice.

P.S. Since I mentioned the 41 and talking about the right way to do things, I would be remise if I did not provide a few words about 41. Very few people know of it. You can even stump the London cabbies(not a common occurrence) when asking to be taken there. It is 41 Buckingham Palace Road across from the Royal Mews on the backside of the Palace. Nice location, amazing hotel. Expect Chantal and her staff to exceed your every expectation. If you book the the Master Suite(4104) with the most amazing glass ceiling you will not want to leave your room! Image looking up at the stars from your bed! http://www.41hotel.com/default.asp?id=3&typeID=2&AccommodationID=2&sc=1

Archived