Soft Surroundings Report

judy&steve

I placed an online order with Soft Surroundings Sunday night. The package arrived today via USPS. I used this order as a size test. Unfortunately, I have put on a few pounds that I lost a couple of years ago. I have lots invested in some really good clothes, so I am very motivated to go back on my diabetes regimented diet. I needed some summery type pants for our upcoming cruise and thought their linen and cotton pants would be good choices. I ordered larger than I wanted to and I found their sizing to be inconsistent. They have different "fits" -- slim, classic, relaxed, oversized. In the same fit different style pants fit way different. I found the waists to be a little larger than I would like but the hips/stomach/butt fit. The nice thing about these pants are they have real waistbands that hit at my actual waist -- including the jeans. I am keeping some of the pants, returning the others and ordering more colors in the styles that I liked.

I ordered one top in a XL. It was enormous in the shoulders and arm, but very tight across my hip. I don't think I'll try any more tops from them.

Quality wise, I think they are just okay. I don't know how they will hold up to washing. I am keeping a pair of jeans, tencel slacks, cotton gauze and their "perfect pants" (polyester/spandex.)I put them in the same quality range as Coldwater Creek and Chicos. They are nowhere near the quality of Talbots. I can wear Talbots clothes season after season.

The Tencel pants are really cute -- they are wide-legged with pretty button detail on the bottom of the pants. They are flowy, but will be perfect for work. You can't see the button detail in the catalog photos, so they were a nice surprise.

The prices were okay, not really cheap, but not overly pricey. However, if they don't hold up, they are no bargain.

So, that's the story with Soft Surroundings!

--Judy

I pretty much can agree with Judy. About 3 years ago I ordered a couple of pairs of their knit Tencel pants (for around the house) and liked them. They have held up well. On the basis of that, I've tried ordering several more things (both tops and pants) from them over the last several years but have had to return most everything.

It looks good in the catalog -- not always so good in person and the fits are definitely not consistent!

Thanks for your report. I get their catalog, but haven't ordered anything yet. Most of their stuff looks very comfy and I like most of their choices of color. I love the looks of their bedding and could go lay down on any of the beds they feature!

It's good to have a first hand opinion. I think they are the ones with the drawstring silk pants, the one they quote Lauren Bacall saying something about the only pants she wouldn't go without. Some of their jammies look yummy, too :)

A few years ago I ordered a silk tunic blouse from them. Loved the look but it wrinkled beyond belief. I don't like walking around with wrinkles unless it's linen. I would love to try the silk pants with the drawstring waist. Anyone know the "wrinkle factor" with these?

I have to agree with posts about the quality (or lack there of) of the fabrics. I ordered a pair of embroidered linen pants and a rayon skirt. The skirt is fine, fits well and is washable. The pants, which I kept, were not as nice. The linen is very thin, bordering on too thin, and after a few cold water washings is starting to pucker around the side seams. I think the quality comparision to Chico's and Coldwater Creek is an excellent one. I will contuinue to buy some of the more trendy styles, but will stick with Talbots for my classic clothing.

So would a large in these fit a 14-16 generously enough for the 16?

I ordered an assortment of sizes from Missy 18 to Women's 2X. I gotta tell you that the sizing is very inconsistent. Big in the waist and tight across my stomach. The linen was very non-impressive. The gauze pants I'm on the fence about. There were two pair of dressier slacks that are more tailored. I think I wound up with them in a women's size.

I don't think I will be ordering from them any more.

Although I like the jeans, the fabric seems a little flimsy and I'll see how they hold their shape after laundering. I washed them yesterday as advised by the manufacturer's tag.

The one top I got in an X-large was too big on me. It was an oversized fit, but it wasn't cut right. The shoulders were way too big; the armholes too deep and the bottom of the shirt hit me in the most unfortunate way across my hips.:)

--Judy

• 4 months later...
So how were they size-wise?

I wound up sending everything back, except one pair of jeans. I should have sent them back, too, but they were okay. If you are not hippy you may not have a problem, but I found their sizing to be very inconsistent. I will probably never order from them again. I think their quality is not as good as Talbots, but their prices are similar. I had a pair of pants that I liked, but then I got something from Talbots that fit better. I didn't think the pants from Soft surroundings would hold up after several washings. I did wash them a couple of times, but sent them back in favor of Talbots more conservative styling and superior workmanship -- and -- accurate sizing.

One good thing about Soft Surroundings is they have no time limit on returns which is nice.

Judy

Archived