This is interesting misinformation so thought I would post

AngelinaM

I just called my TA agency to see if there had been any changes to my itinerary which was supposed to call at Costa Maya in early November. TA called NCL and the NCL representative told her that there had been no major damage to Costa Maya and therefore we would still be calling there! I asked my TA if she had seen the pictures of Costa Maya lately!:eek:

Keep checking shore excursions for your cruise on the NCL web site. They will know well before the sales people.

They changed our Nov 3 Spirit repo yesterday to Curacao instead of the original Costa Maya. Sales is still showing Costa Maya. The regular cruises on the Spirit out of NO had not changed yet, nor had the Sun from Miami. I believe Curacao is too far for the Spirit from NO so the regular cruises will be something else.

Keep checking shore excursions for your cruise on the NCL web site. They will know well before the sales people.

Never thought to do that - what a great Idea.

Maybe my expectations are a little high, but I would have little time for an agent who sold cruises to Costa Maya and had no clue that it got wiped out.

I just called my TA agency to see if there had been any changes to my itinerary which was supposed to call at Costa Maya in early November. TA called NCL and the NCL representative told her that there had been no major damage to Costa Maya and therefore we would still be calling there! I asked my TA if she had seen the pictures of Costa Maya lately!:eek:

Maybe be emailing your TA (and in turn NCL) a before/after picture of the pier in Costa Maya will get you a better answer.;)

NCL used to include Cancun as a port on their Texaribbean itinerary that sailed from Houston, so it can handle cruise ships. It's a tender only location. I don't know if they'd be able to get any of the larger size ships in close enough to tender, as the area where the NCL ships used to anchor had was very shallow. We had a crew member tell us about one of his friends, who dove under the ship, and could stand on the bottom of the sea and touch the bottom of the ship with his outstretched hands.

The problem, is that due to that shallow harbor, the success rate of the ships actually calling at Cancun was only about 50%. Any winds or waves at all, and it becomes another sea day. If it was me, I'd be hoping for Playa del Carmen instead of Cancun.

Cancun does not have a pier for cruise ships... they anchor out and tender passengers in.

Are you sure they do this at Cancun? I thought it was Playa del Carman, and then you had to take other transport to Cancun?

It's been a few years ago and I can't remember which ship, but the ones that wanted off at Playa took a tender and then the ship went on to Cozumel. The passengers would have to take the ferry back to Coz to rejoin the cruise.

Archived