A different consent situation

Illustriouslaz

I've read quite a few threads about needing a parental consent form for passengers under 21 but I have a different situation than most. My brother whose 18 just came to live with me. Both of our parents are deceased and have been so for years. After then died it was said that in his fathers will, guardianship was to be given to a friend of the family's. I dont know for sure since I never saw the papers.

I need to know what I can do as far as getting this paper/form filled out for him. We sail Nov 2 so I dont have enough time to adopt him and I don't know for sure if I can get his so called legal guardian to sign due to bad blood. I'm going to call NCL tomorrow to get more information as well as where I can find a copy of their form (I have found travel consent forms that members have posted though).

Does anyone have any ideas, input or advice that might help me?

I have no idea how this would work because he is no longer a minor according to US law, so his "guardian" has no legal rights over him. However, the cruise line insists that the over-21 person traveling with him must agree to be responsible for him. First, I suggest that you call NCL and ask for a supervisor or manager because I seriously doubt that a regular CS rep would know what to do. Second, I suggest that you get the following: Copies of your parents' death certificates and a copy of your father's will (the court records should be accessible as public documents). As your brother's guardian has no legal rights or obligations at this point, your best bet may be to write a letter stating that you will traveling as the responsible adult and get it notarized.

I hope you can get some answers so that you can have a wonderful cruise.

beachchick

If he is over 18 then all you need to do is book him with you. I would call but I don't see needing proof of anything as long as you are of age and will sign for him.

I agree, but I would call and make sure. Is he booked in your room?

Illustriouslaz: I would suggest that you double check with NCL on the situation regarding your brother, just to be on the safe side.

You might want to see this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=615105

and in particular post 7 by serene56.

I myself contacted NCL earlier this year on this matter, and was given two different answers by two different staff members on whether or not 18-20 year-olds crusing on NCL without their parents still needed a parental consent form. Eventually a manager said that they did need a parental consent form, regardless of whether the 18-20 year-olds were in a room with over-21s.

Personally I think that it is ridiculous and insulting that adults need their parents' permission to go on vacation, but that seems to be NCL's position.:(

I hope it works out for you, and have a great cruise. :)

I believe you will continue to get conflicting statements from people you call. Our son recently took his girlfriend. He was 25, she was 20. He had to sign as the "responsible adult", but no parental issues as all,since he is now over 18. After all, you can sail off to war without approval at 18 as well.

I believe you will continue to get conflicting statements from people you call. Our son recently took his girlfriend. He was 25, she was 20. He had to sign as the "responsible adult", but no parental issues as all,since he is now over 18. After all, you can sail off to war without approval at 18 as well.

Did he just have to sign some paper at the pier? I dont mind doing that but if I need some notorized statement that might be a problem.

If it's any help, the e-mail I got from NCL was as follows (with a parental consent form attached):

The form itself requires the signature of both parents (where they both have custody of the "minor"), the "minor", and four adult witnesses, at least one of which may not be the spouse or blood relative of the parent/legal guardian.

Dear XXX,

Please find attached the parental consent form that you will need to fill out. This form is necessary for any passenger who is under 21 and travelling with an adult (over 21) who is not their parent or legal guardian.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Tino Williams

Guest Services

NCL ( Bahamas ) Ltd

I know that one 19-year-old was told by NCL she definitely needed this form filled in by her parents, so she did so, but when she boarded with her older brother, she was never actually asked for it at any point, so make of that what so will.

I assume that NCL will e-mail you a copy of the consent form upon request.

We just made reservations for Spring break 2008 on the Dawn. My husband and I along with our two teen daughters age 18 and 15 at cruise time. Our son who is 20 and his fiance will be joining us. She will be 19 days away from her 21st birthday when we board the ship YET she STILL needs her parents permission to go with us. We had to book our rooms so that husband is with one daughter, son is with one sister and I am with my sons fiance. Once on board we can switch. Both of these young adults can vote and pay taxes, go to war....YET one has to have a parent permisson slip to go on a vacation. ALL cruise lines need to wake up and stop the BS of needing a parents permission. If the passenger is 18 then they are a legal adult no permission is needed.

We just made reservations for Spring break 2008 on the Dawn. My husband and I along with our two teen daughters age 18 and 15 at cruise time. Our son who is 20 and his fiance will be joining us. She will be 19 days away from her 21st birthday when we board the ship YET she STILL needs her parents permission to go with us. We had to book our rooms so that husband is with one daughter, son is with one sister and I am with my sons fiance. Once on board we can switch. Both of these young adults can vote and pay taxes, go to war....YET one has to have a parent permisson slip to go on a vacation. ALL cruise lines need to wake up and stop the BS of needing a parents permission. If the passenger is 18 then they are a legal adult no permission is needed.

+1000. Amen to that.

I have done three cruises with my wife, three sons and three of their friends, two 18 yr olds and one 16 yr old. The 16 year old is the only one I have had to do a consent form for. The 18 yr old kids did not need one and I am not their parent or gaurdian.

How did you find out you didnt need one for the 18 yr old? What line was this you cruised on?

I understand your sentiments. However, the cruise lines aren't bound by these age regulations and don't need to consider an 18 y/o an adult. I suspect that they've had enough experience or problems with 18 to 20 y/o's (particularly at spring break) that they've decided not to allow that age group to cruise unaccompanied. Of course, they've made an exception for married couples, whom I assume they believe to be mature. (The age restriction used to be 25 on some cruise lines.) In fact, car rental companies almost all require drivers to be 25 (or to pay a large fee if they're under 25). I would imagine that statistically, the car companies and the cruise lines are looking at similar issues: The general maturity level of an age group. (Please notice I don't say ALL 18 to 20 y/o's are immature, but most don't have enough life experience to handle all situations well.) And yes, I'm well aware that many over 21 folks are thoroughly immature and act stupidly. The cruise line has to draw a line and has drawn it at 21.

beachchick

How did you find out you didnt need one for the 18 yr old? What line was this you cruised on?

NCL - In fact they did not even ask for the form the last time for the 16yr old maybe because this was his second time with us and they had all his information. We are planing a cruise in Dec. and the 16yr old will be 17 and I am still going to get a parent consent form even if they did not ask for it last time. I also always get consent forms notarized.

I agree totally with Four4us, and also suspect that the "parental consent" for the 18-20 year-old adult would not stand up to scrutiny in any court of law, and is therefore not worth the paper it is written on.

So long as an 18-20 year-old adult is accompanied by an adult over 21 as required, what does it matter whether their parents or "guardians" agree or disagree with the trip? Parental consent would not make their adult son or daughter any more or less likely to behave responsibly. In any case, I thought guardianship ended on the ward's 18th birthday, and ceased to apply thereafter.

What if an 18-20 year-old adult had no surviving parent or "guardian"? What would NCL do then?

In fact, judging by the contrasting posts by Four4us and cruise vs work/, it would appear that NCL are not even sure what their own policy is.

Illustriouslaz: Nonetheless, you might wish to consider getting the stupid consent form, just to be on the safe side. If you post your e-mail address, or, if you ask the moderators to pass on your e-mail address to me, I will send you a copy of the consent form I was sent by NCL. The form does not need to be notarized, but does need to be signed by four adult witnesses, as mentioned in my previous post. The definition of "adult" is unclear, as is how they would tell whether signatures had been forged.

I understand your sentiments. However, the cruise lines aren't bound by these age regulations and don't need to consider an 18 y/o an adult. I suspect that they've had enough experience or problems with 18 to 20 y/o's (particularly at spring break) that they've decided not to allow that age group to cruise unaccompanied. Of course, they've made an exception for married couples, whom I assume they believe to be mature. (The age restriction used to be 25 on some cruise lines.) In fact, car rental companies almost all require drivers to be 25 (or to pay a large fee if they're under 25). I would imagine that statistically, the car companies and the cruise lines are looking at similar issues: The general maturity level of an age group. (Please notice I don't say ALL 18 to 20 y/o's are immature, but most don't have enough life experience to handle all situations well.) And yes, I'm well aware that many over 21 folks are thoroughly immature and act stupidly. The cruise line has to draw a line and has drawn it at 21.

beachchick

I totally agree here. I think it is because the cruiselines don't want to encourage younger college-aged springbreakers. Springbreak is typically a more "wild" time for most and I can understand where the cruiselines are coming from. I do think it's somewhat unfair to the 18-20 year old range though. Not all go "crazy". :rolleyes:

I think that it should be enough for the cruiselines to look at their roster and see that there is a 25+ person in the cabin. A parental permission note is just dumb... and almost insulting!

Archived