Sun penthouse photos/info

sungirl

We are just about ready to book the Sun for next spring. The cabin we are having held is 9002. Does anyone have info or photos of this cabin and the balcony? I've done some searches, but haven't been able to find much. Will the balcony be completely covered? Will we have a view when sitting out, or will it be obstructed by a steel wall?

Thanks in advance!

Go here and click on Alaska Cruise on the left side. The third page or so will give you photos of a similiar P/H on deck 8.

http://www.casshew.com/

Deck 9 has a little more cover on the balcony as it is under the bridge but not much more. When seated, you can see the sky and off to the horizon but not down to the water near the ship over the railings. I had 9203. Great cabins.

We were in 8002 as well. From the brochure the layout of the cabin looks different. I do have photos of the cabin, and balcony and I could email to you if you wish. The balcony was huge, but we could not see the sea when sitting down, only standing. The balcony had a bit of an overhang from the balcony above, and about 2/3 was uncovered.

We are just about ready to book the Sun for next spring. The cabin we are having held is 9002. Does anyone have info or photos of this cabin and the balcony? I've done some searches, but haven't been able to find much. Will the balcony be completely covered? Will we have a view when sitting out, or will it be obstructed by a steel wall?

Thanks in advance!

We were in 9002 last Sept. Click on the link in my signature to view the photos I took.

The balcony is not covered, so in the morning (depending on where/when you are going) the deck was covered in dew.

When sitting on the balcony, the view is obstructed by the bulkhead (ie. you cannot see anything unless you are very tall). In comparison, the AC Penthouse (aft) had the bulkhead, but not as high. Also, there isn't standard lighting on this balcony (or any balcony in the front of the ship) - they are dimly lit by blue lights (for obvious reasons).

Nice cabin, but I will take the aft over the front next time.

jerhardt

Thanks for the link to the cabin pictures. I noticted you have a picture of the door with the cabin number. I thought I was the only one that did that. I started it a couple of years ago since I cound never remember what cabin I was in.:D

I was suprised the layout was the same as 8002 that we were in as on the deckplan it looked shaped a bit different.

I agree while the cabin is nice and the balcony was large it was the least we have ever used a balcony before. It was in Alaska thought and it was usually too windy to spend alot of time out there.

jerhardt

Thanks for the link to the cabin pictures. I noticted you have a picture of the door with the cabin number. I thought I was the only one that did that. I started it a couple of years ago since I cound never remember what cabin I was in.:D

I was suprised the layout was the same as 8002 that we were in as on the deckplan it looked shaped a bit different.

I agree while the cabin is nice and the balcony was large it was the least we have ever used a balcony before. It was in Alaska thought and it was usually too windy to spend alot of time out there.

I took the pic of the door for the same reason:p

We felt the same about the balcony. Because it was too windy and you couldn't see a darn thing when sitting, it was deemed a waste for us. So, next time (in 10 days) we'll be trying an aft penthouse!

Thanks for all the info. We did book 9002 - AD penthouse. I've been reading about the perks and have a few more questions. We have booked the room across from us for the kids, will they be able to get priority embarkation, tender tickets and dinner reservations (all with us) as well? Are there special disembarkation perks? And we will have champagne in our cabin when we board, right, or should I order it as a bon voyage gift?

Disembarkation: You can get priority. We recevied a letter in our cabin from the concierge with early disembarkation instructions, it was way to early for us (meeting around 7AM). We just did the regular disembarkation and had time for a nice breakfast and no rush.

There was a bottle of champagne in our cabin (in May 2007), plus there was an extra bottle in the fridge that could be purchased.

One of the great things about the cabins in the bow of the Sun is the huge windows that let in so much light. We were in 8002 on the Sun, followed by 9500 on the Star (in the same bow location). The forward cabins on the Star (and probably Dawn, Jewel, Pearl) have only a window on one side of the forward wall with a big old hatch-type steel door next to it. The light is not nearly as nice.

Archived