Jost van Dyke from St. Thomas

CruiserDoc

Has anyone done the shore excursion from St. Thomas to Jost van Dyke? It sounds like alot to go through British customs there and then US customs when returning-was that a problem? Is the island worthwhile to visit? We've been to St. Thomas so many times we thought this would be a good alternative.

I considered it last time we went to St. Thomas - I would love to go to Jost and have been to St. Thomas several times as well. Eventually, I decided it was too much trouble, going thru customs etc. since we had a very port intensive Southern Caribbean itinerary anyway.

I did find that limnoscharters.com offered a trip to Jost. Most of the time, we had trouble making the start time of the excursions because our ship docked too late in the morning for an 8:30 departure. Limnos is the only one I still have info on, but seems like I found a couple of others.

If you decide to try it, I'd be interested to know how it went.

Never Been, and I can't suggest a thing more than the ferry sched's and custom you already know about.

Given the great article on Jimmy Buffet in the recent "Stone" (He-Yuk!).

(Yah - like my wife thought a subscription to "Rolling Stone" would carry me through mid-life crisis!)

Given some time and experience (you have that); couldn't you high 5$+ conive a USVI motor sailer to take you there! Not to the dock/town - to the beaches! Realistically, if you've seen one Carib dock town... Nothing in the virgins are virgin, so don't expect Tahiti - h'mmmm how many ships a year hit Tahiti.

My biggest reality check was the beauty of Puero Veijo CR - a beach my kids frolicked on - charm, child photos (FINE) - descent. rest.; REALITE Heat (Jan. - it only gets hotter from here) TONNES Trash/Litter/Grime-Medicore Beach, the crack-head-surfer connection of the CR-Panama border - cool(?!)

SORRY - Post Hurricane - mid-week Florida reporting...

I've been to Jost van Dyke a number of times, but not from a cruise ship. We used to go on a 30-PAX tall ship that anchored there, and then took the dinghy in. On our first trip, we actually got to meet "Foxy". We also spent a riotous New Year's Eve there, and there were so many dingys there, that you could literally walk over them to get to yours! 50-cent Painkillers and a crowd of Brits and Americans...Priceless! My favorite T-shirt is one I got years ago, which says "Ski Jost Van Dyke". About the only thing there, though, is Foxy's and the Soggy Dollar beach bar (home of the "Painkiller"), and you can only get there by boat.

Hi,

We have this booked through Princess for our cruise in September. I usually do excursions on my own but I was worried about coordinating ferry and taxi schedules. Let alone customs. I will try to let you know how is goes.

My wife knows a guy that says JVD is a must visit. A truly remote getaway. If he could live on any Caribbean island this would be the one.

Here is a link I thought had some good pictures of JVD.

http://www.bareboatsbvi.com/jvd_white_bay.html

Timm

We, that live in St Thomas go to "JOST" to relax and get away. White bay is truly heaven.

The $86/person Princess is charging is overpriced especially considering it includes only transportation............nothing to eat or drink.....

Customs/immigration is about a 15 minute ordeal in each direction. You will get your passpost stamped, unlike the rest of the cruise. (Birth certificates are fine also)

There are plenty of places to eat and drink.....and drink... and drink.......and there is nothing like sitting in one of the hammocks at the Soggy Dollar Bar drinking a Painkiller. ( i will not drink them anywhere else!!!!!)

The Soggy Dollar bar is so named because most of the customers at the bar swim in from their sailboat.........and pay with wet money

Did I mention that there are plenty of places to drink.....:D :D

Can you give me the lo-down on getting there ourselves-where & how much are the ferries? How often do they run? Etc?

Thanks!!

Well, If you are only here for the day on a cruise ship.........and you really want to go to JOST....then take the Princess excursion because it is your only guarenteed way to get you there and back to the ship on time.

My other suggestion is to go to one of the many day power boat rentals in Red Hook St Thomas (with or without a captain) and make you way to Jost that way.

The ferries are just too unreliable time wise......(you gotta change ferries each way)

If you are here other then on a cruise ship......then I will be happy to explain more....

Archived