NJ or NY-Where should we stay???

MizzouMary

Hi, we will be sailing out of the Cape Liberty Cruise Port in New Jersey. Can anyone give me information on where we should stay (a safe area) either in NJ or NY that would be close to the Cape Liberty Port? We have never been to New York or anywhere on the east coast so we really need help. We are thinking about arriving a day or two early for our RCCI cruise in November and would like to see the Statue of Liberty and the World Trade Center Memorial. Can you see the Statue of Liberty from this port? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

First questions: what is your budget?

Second question: are you driving or flying? (i assume flying from your comments)

If only for one nite i would suggest staying in NJ, but if coming in a few days prior i would stay in NYC if your budget allows.

Once i know your budget i can advise further on specifics.

thereuare-

We are flying and will be there for 2 nights. We can spend 75-125/night, but of course would like to spend the least amount possible but stay in a safer area. We are planning to use Priceline to book the hotel.

Thanks for your help!

For a 2 nite stay i would try to stay in NYC, but depending upon your dates of travel $125 may or may not be enough in NYC (even with Priceline).

The hotel market starts to get very busy around Thanksgiving and then gets even stronger until just before Xmas. What are the hotel dates?

I'll give you more details about hotel options if you supply your dates, but with 2 days i would recommend that you 'skip' the Statue of Liberty... go ahead and view it from Battery Park (or better yet take the Staten Island Ferry roundtrip and pass right by). Going to the Island itself is can easily become an all day affair of waiting online to take the ferry to the island and then waiting online to take the ferry back.

Don't know if you're interested in museums, theater, etc, but NYC has most of whatever you're likely to be interested in. If you get a clear day/eve i also recommend going to the top of the Empire State building to take in the view.

thereuare - you are right that NYC is more exciting... but they have stressed that they want to save $.

mfinn - are you going alone or with children? the Liberty Science Center is in Newark and is a relatively inexpensive way to spend some of the day... they have an IMAX theater if you're into that sort of thing.

I wouldn't even consider Newark, and thru Priceline i think Jersey City is do-able within their budget... i think the question is NYC vs. Jersey City.

The Liberty Science Center is located in Jersey City, and is a short $1.50 Light Rail ride away from the area with the Jersey City hotels.

mfinn - are you going alone or with children? the Liberty Science Center is in Newark and is a relatively inexpensive way to spend some of the day... they have an IMAX theater if you're into that sort of thing.

Hello gopher's girl,

There will just be two of us (adults). I have a cousin that lives in New Rochelle, NY that I might call to show us around and my DH has a friend that lives in the area. We just want to have a back-up plan since we have never been to NYC.

Thanks!!

Archived