Walking back from El Morro?

Dobunee

We would like to take a taxi from the ship to El Morro to tour the fort on our own instead of paying the outrageous price of a group walking tour. I was wondering what is the safest way to walk back from El Morro to the Cruise Ship Pier? We would like to stop at the Hard Rock Cafe on our way back also. I would appreciate any help given.

Unless you are going to be walkning late at night, you should not have a problem.

Check this google map

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=109676946526690112244.000438760505ef5dbf8dd&ll=18.466655,-66.119092&spn=0.008141,0.014462&z=16&om=1

[url=http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=109676946526690112244.000438760505ef5dbf8dd&ll=18.466655,-66.119092&spn=0.008141,0.014462&z=16&om=1][/url]

walk down Calle Del Morro and head towards Calle Del santo Cristo (this street will take you past the cathedral) and down through the city.

Hope this helps

We arrive in port at 3pm and I know it doesn't leave much time to tour the fort but its a must do on our list for a San Juan. If we leave the fort at closing time of 6pm should the walk still be safe?

thanks for all the help,

You won't have any problem, especially if you leave the fort area by sundown and head to Cristo Street. Even at night, Cristo is fine. The problem up at the fort is that it is not well lit at night across the vast green.

Your plan is fine. The walk is not strenuous for the average person. Enjoy your visit.

For those who live in San Juan- would this poster be better off walking to El Morro rather than taking a taxi? I'm referring to the time involved. I've been to OSJ several times, and the streets always seem so congested! DH & I always joke that walking is faster than motorized travel there. Since she has limited time before the fort closes, would walking be faster? This assumes that the uphill walk wouldn't be too strenuous for any of her group!

For the OP- definitely download a walking map of OSJ to take with you on the cruise (or borrow a guidebook from the library). The main streets are safe in the evenings since there will be lots of people "out and about" but maybe not really late at night(?). Sorry, don't know where the Hard Rock Cafe is located, so can't help you there.

For those who live in San Juan- would this poster be better off walking to El Morro rather than taking a taxi? I'm referring to the time involved. I've been to OSJ several times, and the streets always seem so congested! DH & I always joke that walking is faster than motorized travel there. Since she has limited time before the fort closes, would walking be faster? This assumes that the uphill walk wouldn't be too strenuous for any of her group!

For the OP- definitely download a walking map of OSJ to take with you on the cruise (or borrow a guidebook from the library). The main streets are safe in the evenings since there will be lots of people "out and about" but maybe not really late at night(?). Sorry, don't know where the Hard Rock Cafe is located, so can't help you there.

You are better off taking the taxi up and walking down given the late arrival time.

Hard Rock is on Recinto Sur, close to the pier.

We walked all over Old San Juan and Isla Verde, both at night and during the day and never felt unsafe. I'm not sure if things were different in the past, but friends of ours did mention that they didn't feel safe in SJ when they went a few years ago.

Both times we had our three daughters with us and you could easily have pointed out we were tourists (bags, cameras etc).

It's my experience and opinion is that San Juan is safe. You just have to be aware as you would anywhere else.

Archived