$200 between Balcony and Interior. Worth?

cheapsale

we did Pride last year with a balcony. spent most of our time on it, so for us it was WELL worth it. if intend to spend almost no time in the cabin, it may not be worth it to you. We, however spent a lot of time in the room, and having the natural light and view was important to us. plus that first cup of coffee in the morning tastes so much better when watching the sunrise off your balcony. the only excursion was DH did the Zip Line in PV, we never even got off the ship in Cabo or Mazatlan.

Just think of how much you will use the balcony. I enjoy sitting out there all the time, if I'm not sleeping I'm out on the balcony. My husband however could care less. The only time he goes out there is to tell me it is time to leave the cabin. We book balconies according to our budget. If money is tight and you want to do shore excursions I would tell you to skip the balcony. You can always enjoy the lounge chairs on the prominade deck. $200.00 per person could get you some nice excursions!!!!!

We were first time cruisers 1 month ago and were faced with the same delima. Seeing as it was our 25th anniversery, we sprung for it.

Morning coffee DOES taste so much better, especially when comming into a port. Plus, if you are on the right side of the ship, you get to applaud and heckle the latecommers when leaving port. (Not that I would do that mind you!) It's just a nice place to hang out.

What a question. As you can see from the previous posts the general opinion is "Go For It". Is it really worth it? Well that depends mostly on you. Inside cabins are great if the only use you have for the cabin is to sleep and change clothes. If you are traveling to get a rest from work and there are time you personally like to have some "quiet time", you would probably enjoy the balcony. We take cruises to have a relaxing time and reenergize before going back to work. Both of us deal with people every day and being able to get away from them even for a little while is a blessing. The biggest plus we have found is to simply sit, sip on a drink, read a book or just watch the landscape go by (even if it is only the water). I do have to agree with Barbee524 however - Don't Do It. You will never be satisfied without the view, and fresh sea air, again.

The extra cost of the balcony is worth it to me. One of my great pleasures is sitting out on the balcony with a cool libation after a day ashore and watching the land shrink into the distance.

One of the best memories was our first night on the Grand when my wife and I sat out in the darkness listening to the waves. Worth every penny.

My first cruise was a inside cabin and it wasn't horrible but now I have had a balcony I don't think I could go back to a inside. We don't spend alot of time out there but it is nice when we are and just for when you are getting ready etc to have some fresh air etc.

Kim

We used to only book inside cabins to save money. Then we had a balcony. Then we booked another inside.

I can tell you from experience there is a huge difference. The people who state you are never in your cabin long enough to enjoy the balcony may have never had a balcony before.

Furthermore, $200 for a week long cruise is not much at all to pay for that little bit of real estate. It comes to less than $30 a day, money well spent. Most of the time balcony cabins are around $600 more, still worth it.

I have always cruised in a balcony cabin. This time we are taking our three children with us and getting two adjoining inside cabins. I'm a bit freaked out about the thought of not having the balcony, but we simply can't afford the balcony price with two rooms. I am starting to think we should all five jam into one balcony room instead of having the two rooms inside...but then again, with two teenagers, I think we'll need the extra bathroom. UGH! I'm seriously sad about this now. What to do? What to do?

I have always cruised in a balcony cabin. This time we are taking our three children with us and getting two adjoining inside cabins. I'm a bit freaked out about the thought of not having the balcony, but we simply can't afford the balcony price with two rooms. I am starting to think we should all five jam into one balcony room instead of having the two rooms inside...but then again, with two teenagers, I think we'll need the extra bathroom. UGH! I'm seriously sad about this now. What to do? What to do?

In your scenario, go for the insides. We have cruised with our 2 kids in the cabin with us, never again.....

The balcony is lovely, two bathrooms are better.

Hope this doesn't register twice, something funky goin on.

A $200 pp difference between an inside and a balcony is a good price. On my upcoming 4 day cruise, the difference between an OV and a balcony was double (roughly 400 vs 800pp). That being said, as others have commented, if money is tight, spend it on excursions. Your first cruise will be such a joy, that you won't mind an inside unless you are clausterphobic, as I am. Or split the difference and get an ocean view. I go back and forth between balconies and OV's depending on price, and am happy with either.

It's $200 pp that means $400. It might be worth it if you need outside private space. It was a wonderful luxury to be able to get away from the crowds but for me it's not a requirement.

I have sailed IV, OV, balcony & w/ friends in some of the nicest suites on board. I must have a window & natural light. Everything else is a luxury. If you can get even a porthole, that upgrade is worth it. A balcony is a personal choice.

$200 difference between inside and balcony is a good deal! If you really want the balcony and can afford the extra expense, it's well worth it.

Back in the day, we could afford a balcony and did so on the first 6-7 cruises. Now if we want to cruise, we have to do inside. I miss the balcony. When we had it, we used it often. As others have posted, you will become addicted to a balcony!

The withdrawals are difficult!!! :( But I'd rather be on a cruise with an inside cabin than not being on a cruise at all!

For the price I say go for it. We have only sailed once and it was with a balcony. It is really nice to have your own outdoor space. We were on a 20 day cruise and really enoyed being able to be outside but alone, not with the crowds when we want to. Have justed book our 2nd cruise and have the balcony again. for $200 it is totally worth it. Although I can see the point of not having it if it means that you will not be able to afford something else on the trip.

Got for it.

Otta

For us it would not be worth it. Balconies are great, but I've never minded leaving my cabin to go sit and watch the ocean.

I would put the money towards port exploration. For us, a cruise itself is a major splurge and I could not justify the extra $400.

You will have to decide for yourself whether or not it is worth it.

Archived