dune buggy excursion

jc73

We are going to Cozumel in October on Freedom of the Seas and are interested in the dune buggy excursion. Our kids are 4 and 6. Do you think this is something kids would enjoy? If so, which tour company would you recommend booking thru. Also, do you know if they provide life jackets? Thanks so much.:o

We did this in Dec. and enjoyed it a lot, however we are adults. There weren't any kids on our tour; you might have to check to see if they are allowed. We used Island Marketing to book our tour; another source in Cozumel Insider, I think. I believe they are both just booking agents and everyone probably takes the same tour.

I probably wouldn't take kids that young on this tour, largely because there's a lot of driving, the dune buggies are definitely iffy as to safety, there are no. or minimal, seatbelts and the kids would have to sit in the back, where they couldn't see much anyway.

I don't know if they have life jackets available. For the snorkeling the kids would need them--and they are pretty young for snorkeling (though kids that age can, with practice and good conditions). The beach stop with the meal is beautiful, but not really a safe place to swim, especially for kids, though they could play in the sand. We did a little body surfing until we noticed the rocks under the water. I have also heard there may be unsafe rip tides in this area, although there wasn't the day we were there.

It also rained and we got pretty wet. We stopped at a Tequila factory, which wouldn't be of much interest to kids and a small (really, really small) ruin which also had some shops nearby.

I really think your kids would enjoy a day at a beach much more. We took grandkids 5,5,4 & 3 to Paradise Beach a couple of years ago and they had a great time.

• 4 weeks later...

We just got off Freedom of the Seas and our excursion in Cozumel was the Dune Buggy & Snorkel tour. It was AWESOME! We booked the tour through Royal Caribbean and had some Carnival people on our excursion, too. Our Tour Guide, Eduardo, was HILARIOUS and took wonderful care of us. This was our favorite excursion out of 2 cruises of all the ports. Amy and Mike from Little People Big World were even on the excursion with us. I think it's perfectly okay to take kids on this excursion. If kids like to have fun, they'll love it, and there were life jackets and seatbelts.

We met outside the shopping area and were guided over to the Dune Buggies by Eduardo. We had a yellow dune buggy with blue seats. Eduardo rode in the first dune buggy, then the people on the excursion, then his partner rode in a dune buggy at the end of the line. We were guided through the city, around the most beautiful water I've ever seen, and stopped for a great lunch. The hospitality was wonderful and so was the food! And, I got a kick out of the fact that the Diet Coke was called Coke Light. :)

After lunch people laid under their umbrellas (provided) on the beach blanket(provided) or went out to get in the blue, blue water. Then we got back in the dune buggies and went to the Pee Pee Station. Yes, it was actually called that. We took bathroom stops and did a little shopping (my husband bought a Pee Pee Station shirt), then it was back to the dune buggies. Near Margaritaville, we lined up our dune buggies in the right lane and left them in the street. We went to a snorkel shop and got the gear and lockers, then went back aross the street for snorkeling. I waited in the shade, but my husband loved the snorkeling. Then it was back to the dune buggies and back to the parking lot near the pier.

Highly recommend this tour, especially with Eduardo! :)

Archived