Cost to upgrade ? Confused

michigan tim

We have an E2 booked on an upcoming sailing. The price has gone up a bit since we booked. The price for a D1 is currently $30pp more than the current price of a E2. I was thinking it would only cost me $60 ($30x2) to upgrade to a D1 but was told it would be the difference of original price paid for the E2 and the current price of the D1, which comes out to about $180pp. Does this sound right? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

We have an E2 booked on an upcoming sailing. The price has gone up a bit since we booked. The price for a D1 is currently $30pp more than the current price of a E2. I was thinking it would only cost me $60 ($30x2) to upgrade to a D1 but was told it would be the difference of original price paid for the E2 and the current price of the D1, which comes out to about $180pp. Does this sound right? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

Yes you have to pay the diffrence from what you originally paid.Not the prices now.We booked the Mariner and it was 499.00 plus taxes for an inside and now we are wanting to maybe change and an OV is 300.00 more PP and a balcony is 600.00 more PP.

Not sure why that people think that they would just let them pay the diffrence of whats showing now.

:eek: Who is telling you this? RCCL or your TA. You should be able to upgrade to a D1 and only pay the difference not $180 pp. If your TA told you this call back and demand they call RCCL while you are on the phone. We have done this several times on our cruises and our TA always get us the price.

Good luck.

Ann

:eek: Who is telling you this? RCCL or your TA. You should be able to upgrade to a D1 and only pay the difference not $180 pp. If your TA told you this call back and demand they call RCCL while you are on the phone. We have done this several times on our cruises and our TA always get us the price.

Good luck.

Ann

No, I believe this in incorrect. If let's say that the OP's price is 500pp for the E2 and rose to 650$ per person and the D1 is 680$. They are not going to just forget the 150$ the E2 went up already, it would be that price rise 150$ PLUS the 30$ difference.

I can see the logic, where you figure that they can sell your old cabin at the higher price, however, that isn't RC's logic. Their way of figuring is that the price you paid for your original cabin is like a credit you can use to buy something more expensive. Wish it were the other way!

Thanks in advance!

That is totally correct - you will pay the difference between the original price you paid and the price now. So it is definitely $180pp and not $30pp[given your calculations]

Who is telling you this? RCCL or your TA. You should be able to upgrade to a D1 and only pay the difference not $180 pp. If your TA told you this call back and demand they call RCCL while you are on the phone. We have done this several times on our cruises and our TA always get us the price.

Good luck.

Ann

This is totally incorrect!!

The simple solution to the whole problem is... cancel your first reservation, get a 100% refund (unless you've already made final payment), turn around and book the cabin you want at today's prices. Problem solved.

It will still cost the OP the same amount of money! :eek:

After reading all this, now I am confused. I think I will never upgrade, just pick room I want initally and stay with that.
If the price of one of the better stateroom categories drops sufficiently, then upgrading can be worthwhile. For example, if the price of a D1 drop significantly to the same price you paid for your E2, then you could upgrade at no cost. Alternatively, you could get the price decrease for your existing E2. Regardless, it's always smart to regularly and diligently watch RCI's pricing.

The simple solution to the whole problem is... cancel your first reservation, get a 100% refund (unless you've already made final payment), turn around and book the cabin you want at today's prices. Problem solved.
No, this is not what the OP wants to do. The prices have gone up for both stateroom categories and the OP wants to pay just the difference but that's not the way it works. I doubt it's worth it for him now to cancel and rebook because the price differential is now much higher than it was originally.

Thank you for all the replys. Got it. An upgrade will cost the difference between what I paid for the original cabin and the current price of the desired cabin.

Currently have deck 9 corner aft, but if I could have gotten a D1 corner on deck 10 for $30pp additional I'd have grabbed it. When booked the difference was much higher.

Thank you for all the replys. Got it. An upgrade will cost the difference between what I paid for the original cabin and the current price of the desired cabin.

Currently have deck 9 corner aft, but if I could have gotten a D1 corner on deck 10 for $30pp additional I'd have grabbed it. When booked the difference was much higher.

Yep, that's right MichTime...sorry this thread got so confusing but you were able to sift through the replies and figure it out. Have a great cruise...you will still love the cabin you are in!!!!

Archived