4th in a mini suite

cruise junky joan

We have booked a mini suite on the Island Princess for next year. From what I understand there will be a roll away in the cabin for the 4th person. My question is where is the rollaway stored when it isn't set up for the night? It seems that this will severly limit the amount of floor space in the cabin. Is it possible to get out to the balcony while the bed is set up? Thanks to anyone who has been in this situation.

We have booked a mini suite on the Island Princess for next year. From what I understand there will be a roll away in the cabin for the 4th person. My question is where is the rollaway stored when it isn't set up for the night? It seems that this will severly limit the amount of floor space in the cabin. Is it possible to get out to the balcony while the bed is set up? Thanks to anyone who has been in this situation.

Hummm, this puzzles me just a bit as if you will be using the sofa as a single bed for the third person, the forth person normally sleeps in a pull down bunk over the sofa. If the sofa is turned into a bed, there would be no room at all for a roll-a-way in the sleeping or living areas.

Hummm, this puzzles me just a bit as if you will be using the sofa as a single bed for the third person, the forth person normally sleeps in a pull down bunk over the sofa. If the sofa is turned into a bed, there would be no room at all for a roll-a-way in the sleeping or living areas.

Maybe they are planing on putting the roll away out on the balcony.:D

Maybe they are planing on putting the roll away out on the balcony.:D

I'll sleep out there!

Seriously though, on one of our past cruises, a fellow passenger told us that each night he pulled the mattress off the bed and slept on the balcony. The next morning, he'd return the mattress to its proper place.

No rollaway just the 4th pull down bunk. :rolleyes:

And yes you can reach the balcony when the bed is pulled down over the sofa.

I also have a hard time imagining a rollaway in place when the sofa is opened up -- there is barely room to get around the pulled out sofa to the balcony as it is. Are there any minis available with an overhead bunk for the fourth person?? I also don't know if the extra 2 are small children, but have you considered a mini plus an inside cabin, or a balcony plus an inside?? The price probably wouldn't be too far off from what you're paying to add the other 2 passengers in your mini suite. PS --- I think they will remove the rollaway during the day if you do go with that, we had that arrangement once on Celebrity in an oceanview and the biggest downside was there was nowhere for the extra person to relax during the day.

Okay: I am not crazy. I just double checked the web site and it states a "fourth bed rollaway" not a pull down over the couch. I could understand the couch folding out to a double bed but I am guessing that the couch only folds out to a single. I am still thinking about getting an inside cabin to go with the suite but the price is still way too much. Also, I don't like the idea of not knowing when my kids, 14 and 18 by next summer, are in for the night. I realize that my husband and I could split up but he sleeps like the dead and wouldn't know who was where when. I am hoping someone would have already had this set up.

Okay: I am not crazy. I just double checked the web site and it states a "fourth bed rollaway" not a pull down over the couch. I could understand the couch folding out to a double bed but I am guessing that the couch only folds out to a single. I am still thinking about getting an inside cabin to go with the suite but the price is still way too much. Also, I don't like the idea of not knowing when my kids, 14 and 18 by next summer, are in for the night. I realize that my husband and I could split up but he sleeps like the dead and wouldn't know who was where when. I am hoping someone would have already had this set up.

Well, if it is actually a 4th in a roll a way, I honestly have no idea where the heck they are going to put it. Only place I can think of is at the end of the sofa bed, which might not be a pull out but a fold down type where the top and seat fold flat, which would make your cabin wall to wall beds. And no way in the world to get to the balcony without climbing over them.

Okay so I finally called Princess and asked where the heck the rollaway would go and if the mini suites came with pulldowns and why the fold out couch wouldn't sleep 2. So, the Isalnd Princess does not have pull down berths in the mini suites, dumb. The fold out couch is too small for 2 people, no surprise there. Lastly the rollaway will go at the bottom of the fold out couch leaving you no room at all to get to the balcony. The operator said we were free to move the rollaway anywhere in the room we liked, like there is space anywhere else to put it. If this is the best that Princess can do for 4 people then it may be our one and only cruise with them.

Okay so I finally called Princess and asked where the heck the rollaway would go and if the mini suites came with pulldowns and why the fold out couch wouldn't sleep 2. So, the Isalnd Princess does not have pull down berths in the mini suites, dumb. The fold out couch is too small for 2 people, no surprise there. Lastly the rollaway will go at the bottom of the fold out couch leaving you no room at all to get to the balcony. The operator said we were free to move the rollaway anywhere in the room we liked, like there is space anywhere else to put it. If this is the best that Princess can do for 4 people then it may be our one and only cruise with them.

Sorry to hear the news. We have not sailed on the Island, but most of the other ships in mini suites. I figured that would be the only configuration they could come up with. Dumb is an understatement! Do they really think passengers want wall to wall beds in their mini suites so they can't access the balcony while others are sleeping? Shame on them, that is a terrible design flaw.

Personally, if it were me, I would put the boys across the hall in an inside cabin. There will be absolutely no privacy in a mini and the only place to even get dressed in private will be right outside the bathroom door by the closet. I would definitely go with the mini and inside, the quality of your cruise will be so much better. If these were small children, that would be a different story, but they are almost grown men and I am sure you would at least like a little privacy and them also.

Best of luck, I hope you get this worked out.

I'll sleep out there!

Seriously though, on one of our past cruises, a fellow passenger told us that each night he pulled the mattress off the bed and slept on the balcony. The next morning, he'd return the mattress to its proper place.

I wonder how much mold is growing on that mattress after absorbing all the humidity throughout the night for a week long!

Gee.... almost all cruise ship cabins are built for two. Stuffing three and especially four in an cabin is going to be tight on any ship (short of a suite or up).

For what you are paying for your mini you could probably get two cabins (lo... two insides or an inside and outside) then you wouldn't be packed like sardines.

We were wait listed for a mini on our last cruise and chose two side by sides on the Lido deck instead. With teens we loved the 2nd bath room and it cost maybe $200 more. The balconies connected.

Princess does have some of the smallest cabins. We stayed 4 in a mini on NCL and Disney quite easily but Princess has some serious design issues.

Hmmm...we've had mini suites with insides across the hall twice and both times it was CHEAPER to do it that way then to put four of us in the mini suite. Once was Europe and the other is Mexico (upcoming).

Anyway..my kids are early teens...we put a baby monitor in their room so we could keep tabs on them. We also had duplicate sets of keys made so we could pop in and check on them at any time.

And we set expectations of them being in the cabin by a certain time and made them check in with us every time they came and went...threatened them with all sorts of loss of privlidges if they screwed up. They didn't, but they're girls and have a good sense of conscience (and guilt!).

Oh..and it's not the sleeping/floor space that would worry me...it's the bathroom! The primping that they did for dinner every night would have precluded DH and me from ever getting NEAR the bathroom. :eek:

Archived