AT&T/Cingular in Alaska?

LHARTWICK

I've done some research on these boards but am still not clear on the AT&T/Cingular coverage/charges while on the inside passage cruise. We leave on 9/14 on the Mercury.

I called AT&T/Cingular (or whatever the heck they are now!) last night. The rep said that I would be charged $2.49/minute for roaming charges PLUS any long distance charges and that I would only have service in Juneau. I've noticed that other posters have nationwide coverage, as I do, but said they didn't encounter any roaming charges. The rep said I would be better off making any calls I need to from Vanouver since those roaming charges are only $0.79/minute. She also said I would be better off sending text messages but I had that service disconnected due to too many SPAM messages. Or for me to just use a calling card on a pay phone, which are becoming more obsolete -duh!

I know that I should not have my phone turned on while sailing since I will incur the ship's charges as well. For those of you who have been there/done that, which ports will I have coverage in and will I incur any roaming/long distance charges if I have the nationwide plan? Just want to clarify since the AT&T rep gave me a different answer. Thanks in advance!!

I've done some research on these boards but am still not clear on the AT&T/Cingular coverage/charges while on the inside passage cruise. We leave on 9/14 on the Mercury.

I called AT&T/Cingular (or whatever the heck they are now!) last night. The rep said that I would be charged $2.49/minute for roaming charges PLUS any long distance charges and that I would only have service in Juneau. I've noticed that other posters have nationwide coverage, as I do, but said they didn't encounter any roaming charges. The rep said I would be better off making any calls I need to from Vanouver since those roaming charges are only $0.79/minute. She also said I would be better off sending text messages but I had that service disconnected due to too many SPAM messages. Or for me to just use a calling card on a pay phone, which are becoming more obsolete -duh!

I know that I should not have my phone turned on while sailing since I will incur the ship's charges as well. For those of you who have been there/done that, which ports will I have coverage in and will I incur any roaming/long distance charges if I have the nationwide plan? Just want to clarify since the AT&T rep gave me a different answer. Thanks in advance!!

We have AT&T (Cingular) with the free nationwide plan. We had service in all the ports (Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan) but when we were on excursions outside the port towns, coverage was spotty. We also had perfect service in Anchorage, Seward, and even in some places around Talkeetna/Denali.

We did not incur any extra roaming charges because Alaska is in AT&T's nationwide service area (at least on our plan). So I'm not sure what is different for you if you have nationwide coverage. Perhaps you should call back to find out exactly what kind of coverage you have.

We did not get any service while on the ship.

We have AT&T with nationwide long distance, so there won't be roaming charges in AK. The map at the website below will show you where you have coverage.

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

Make sure you don't use your phone on the ship. Wait until you get in to port and then turn it on and see if it displays the local carrier. Also, if you use your phone in Canada, you will need to add international roaming to your plan in order to reduce the roaming charges. You can add it, then when you get home have it taken off. We went on a Med cruise in July and I used my cell phone while in port, then had international roaming removed from my plan about 3 weeks after we got home.

We also have AT&T/Cingular and had service in all ports (add Sitka to the list below). There were no roaming charges. We just made sure we paid attention to what the screen said--never used it when it indicated the service was "Cellular at Sea." In one of the ports, it was Rogers Cellular, which we were told is AT&T.

We have the nationwide plan as well.

Have a great cruise!!

Jayne

Like the others said - I used my phone all over Alaska (well, at least where we went - Anchorage, Seward, Denali, Fairbanks, Talkeetna, Skagway, etc) and since I have the national plan - no extra charges... Do you have a different plan? I know there are SO many, and maybe you have one that is specific to the area of the country you live in?????

Were on a cruise tour in July and also to have the nation wide plan. We had coverage in the ports of Ketchican, Juneau, and Skagway. Also had coverage in Whittier, Anchorage, Denali, McKinley Lodges, Fairbanks, and along some of the rail line in etween each with no roaming. We did incur a roaming charge for Vancouver. I agree also that coverage was spotty when you get outside of the port cities (like the drive to Emerald Lake) but that is probably true for most carriers.

The plan just says "Nation 250/3500" on it. I've used it in other areas of the US and have not had roaming fees so I'm assuming that "nation" is nationwide. Seems like that's what the rep said when I signed up. I only plan to call home to check on family, not to chit chat.

We were in Juneau, Sitka, and Skagway with Nationwide coverage in June and NO roaming charges applied. We left the phone off while cruising and only turned it on once ashore so as not to use the ship's tower where you will incur very high roaming charges.

The plan just says "Nation 250/3500" on it. I've used it in other areas of the US and have not had roaming fees so I'm assuming that "nation" is nationwide. Seems like that's what the rep said when I signed up. I only plan to call home to check on family, not to chit chat.

If I were you, I would just call and confirm that you actually have "free" nationwide service. If you do, you shouldn't have any problem.

Archived