Real Popcorn! Have you ever brought a microwave?

Spudhunter

I love my popcorn, and I'm just not happy with the plain old popcorn that's available in some of the bars on board. It's usually stale and tastes like carboard. I prefer my gourmet microwave kettle corn, and intend to bring at least half a case with me.

I have a small 1.0 cu foot microwave that just fits in my carryon. Do you think anyone would give me a hassle about bringing it onboard Mariner on my upcoming trip? I'm responsible, I won't leave the room while the corn is popping, and I'll unplug it when I'm done.

Has anyone done this?

I love my popcorn, and I'm just not happy with the plain old popcorn that's available in some of the bars on board. It's usually stale and tastes like carboard. I prefer my gourmet microwave kettle corn, and intend to bring at least half a case with me.

I have a small 1.0 cu foot microwave that just fits in my carryon. Do you think anyone would give me a hassle about bringing it onboard Mariner on my upcoming trip? I'm responsible, I won't leave the room while the corn is popping, and I'll unplug it when I'm done.

Has anyone done this?

I'd never think to bring my own microwave, but i can tell you that a couple of years ago on the Explorer our friends asked if popcorn was available on the ship, they were told no, but the next day when they returned to their cabin from an excursion there was a bag of unpopped micro. on their bed with a note to say call room service when you want this popped, they'll p/u the bag pop it and bring it back to you. I was totally impressed that they went to the trouble of doing that for them, i've always said that RCI has thought of everything. So perhaps you can bring your own and then just ask them to pop it for ya! Good luck ;)

ROFL! Now I think I have heard it all. Why don't you bring the kitchen sink, too? I like your sense of humor.

Maybe I'm getting gullible (unlikely since I work with crooks) but I think he was actually being serious. In case you are serious OP, my guess is that it would not be allowed, but this is merely speculation. You can always bring aboard the pre-bagged pop corn; some of those I have found to be quite good.

I'd never think to bring my own microwave, but i can tell you that a couple of years ago on the Explorer our friends asked if popcorn was available on the ship, they were told no, but the next day when they returned to their cabin from an excursion there was a bag of unpopped micro. on their bed with a note to say call room service when you want this popped, they'll p/u the bag pop it and bring it back to you. ;)

Now what would you tip for something like that?

Personally, I don't consider those little microwave packs to be "real popcorn", anyway. That's why I prefer to bring some real popcorn, along with a kettle with lid, some vegetable oil (peanut oil has a nice flavor, but canola will do) and a camp stove. The tricky part is getting the small propane cylinder for the camp stove onto the ship. You run the risk that security might confiscate it, if they think you're really hiding alcohol in it.

Maybe I'm getting gullible (unlikely since I work with crooks) but I think he was actually being serious. In case you are serious OP, my guess is that it would not be allowed, but this is merely speculation. You can always bring aboard the pre-bagged pop corn; some of those I have found to be quite good.

Yes, I think you are getting gullible. ;) This poster only has one post, and it closely resembles the thread about bringing their own coffee pot. I assume they are making fun of that thread.

Yes, I think you are getting gullible. ;) This poster only has one post, and it closely resembles the thread about bringing their own coffee pot. I assume they are making fun of that thread.

Hey Fitz, did you know there's no such word as "gullible" in Webster's dictionary;)?

Personally, I don't consider those little microwave packs to be "real popcorn", anyway. That's why I prefer to bring some real popcorn, along with a kettle with lid, some vegetable oil (peanut oil has a nice flavor, but canola will do) and a camp stove. The tricky part is getting the small propane cylinder for the camp stove onto the ship. You run the risk that security might confiscate it, if they think you're really hiding alcohol in it.

I like the way you think.:D

Sounds good to me. You wanna microwave, have at it. You might even be able to make a few bucks offering it's use to other cruisers. I know in my college days I worked part time at a K-mart in their deli area. We had a popcorn machine and whenever we fired the thing up to make more popcorn the smell would draw all sorts of customers. Can't imagine that you wouldn't get the same response on a ship. Just prop the door open and let 'er pop....... cha-ching!

ROTFLMAO.... :D :D

This one beats the crockpot... :eek:

I know the OP was probably joking, but oh how I miss my micro popcorn at night!!! I love popcorn and eat it at least a couple night a week at home. After drinking all day on the ship, a good bag of SmartPop at night would hit the spot. If I thought they would pop it for me, I would bring bags of it onboard with me too. Just never thought they would actually take it and pop it for me and bring it back, so never have tried. I am a snacker, and I will say that is what I miss the most when we vacation. I have gotten in the habit of bringing pretzels, Melba Toast and/or Wows with me when I travel so I have low fat snacks when I want them. But popcorn - simply the best snack there is :o :o :o

Archived